Anyone have ideas on Decorating a House

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's your 'style' like? Rustic, casual, 'classic', 'high-fashion'?

Personally I love warm tones in a kitchen (burnished oranges or dark yellows...)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

We are getting Ideas on how to Decorate the Kitchen and the Yard.
are you talking about colors? i heard/read somewhere that you should look in your closet [assuming you don't know where to start] & decorate in shades that are predominant there. my house is almost all in blues - different shades of blue, some faux finishing. blue is my favorite color.
kitchen has a 'cat theme' - no surprise there! new kitchen will have faux slate [formica] countertops, & stainless appliances w/black accents. new sink & faucet will be black. bathroom will get same counter, w/chrome faucet & polished stainless sink.
the new stove is coming tomorrow!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look in the house thread. I think it has the color of the counters and floor. We are thinking of a Silver fridge.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say go with a darker color on the walls, especially if you have lighter furniture (the table/chairs). That yellow is garish! Eek!

Maybe in the yard, some paving stones out to the back and a little gazebo or arbor... fill in the holes with sod....

Or, as my dad always said... you don't have to mow flowers...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That yellow is going for sure.
I do want a Gazebo for sure.
The stones sound like a good idea also and the sod.
Thanks to everyone for the Ideas.
Our Table has a Glass Top with Tanish Chairs with a wood finish.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could help. But while I have a creative eye for art, I absolutely suck at interior decorating. I was looking around my apartment the other day wishing my place looked "more inviting" and "homey" like you see in the movies, lol

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For paint colors go to Benjamin Moore's website as you can select how different colors look in different rooms. Is the wood trim/doors painted or stained??

For the landscaping you need to get the directions of the sun in relationship to the house.
For instance you will what to have shade for the south and west sides of the house.
Do you have a problem with fires in the area as I know you have specific requirements on what to plant and how far away from the house.
How do you want to use your yard and how much of a gardener are you willing to be??
If you google California extension I think its UC Davis that has the horticulture info.
You have a much different range of plant material vs what we have in WI!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I want to have wallpaper in the kitchen.
are you sure? wallpaper will collect grease from cooking & be impossible to clean... are you planning on a vinyl coated paper? do they make wallpaper especially for kitchens that's easy to clean?