My kitten darts around the house with her claws out

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!

I have a problem. My kitten, Yuki - darts around the house and sometimes does the same in my room at night. She's such an energetic kitty!

The thing is, most of the time... her claws are out so she often scratches my leg or any other body parts she comes in contact with when she runs around like crazy. What can I do about this problem?
My hand and leg literally bled because of her o_o

Oh also, when I'm sitting down on my chair ( or standing up as a matter of fact... ) she bites my leg ( sometimes ), so what exactly is wrong with her? How do I stop this behavior?

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you cut her nails? I find that keeping nails trimmed cuts down on damage to myself and other objects when getting ran over and climbed on. I cut nails around every 10 days, and while I've been scratched, their nails are never sharp enough to actually draw blood from it. As far as the biting goes, that's typical kitten behavior, too. When she bites you, tell her "no" in a firm voice and then try to ignore her. If she bits while playing or being pet, stop what you're doing. You can also distract her with a toy after correcting her on biting you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

Do you cut her nails? I find that keeping nails trimmed cuts down on damage to myself and other objects when getting ran over and climbed on. I cut nails around every 10 days, and while I've been scratched, their nails are never sharp enough to actually draw blood from it. As far as the biting goes, that's typical kitten behavior, too. When she bites you, tell her "no" in a firm voice and then try to ignore her. If she bits while playing or being pet, stop what you're doing. You can also distract her with a toy after correcting her on biting you.
No I don't cut her nails, but I'm considering into getting a nail clipper ( specially made for cats ) today at my local pet store since you mentioned it, lol.

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Here's a picture of how bad it is. o_o;

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All I see is blood. :-)

Trimming nails is definitely good. You can actually just use a human nail clipper, if that's what you've got. Search this site; there are many threads on how to trim nails.

Making a large open space in your house (when my cats are being particularly rambunctious, I try to reduce clutter) and staying out of the rambunctious kittens' way are also good. My cats are adults, but I've been twice scratched in those circumstances, both times when I was sleeping. Once, I was sleeping on a chair, the cats chased each other up and down it, and someone got my forehead with a claw. I think it was even a back claw, so trimming that wouldn't have helped (already quite dull). More recently, I woke up with scratches on my leg and have no idea how I got them.

However, when you're awake, you should be able to stay out of the kitten's way when she's being active.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is kitty? Very young ones can't retract their claws yet...

Does kitty have a friend? Maybe a friend would take up some of the crazy energy?

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

How old is kitty? Very young ones can't retract their claws yet...

Does kitty have a friend? Maybe a friend would take up some of the crazy energy?
She's 16 weeks, and she could retract her claws - but it's just that when she darts around the house, she always have her claws out.

No, she doesn't have a friend... I would get another cat if I had the money though.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enuja

Once, I was sleeping on a chair, the cats chased each other up and down it, and someone got my forehead with a claw.
i got clawed in the forehead & just under the eye like that when Firefox was a kitten.
i use this type of clipper: claw trimmer. i find it easy to use - easier than the guillotine type.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yuki

She's 16 weeks, and she could retract her claws - but it's just that when she darts around the house, she always have her claws out.

No, she doesn't have a friend... I would get another cat if I had the money though.
Two cats don't really cost much more then just one. I mean if you were getting into 2, 3, 4 cats thats a different story, but if you are feeding them good food, get them fixed and vaccinated and keep them healthy... Litter can be really cheap too and you might be able to get away with just one box for the two kitties.... Just a thought!

Anyways, just use nail clippers that you would use yourself, they work the easiest. You can also look for a cat condo/tree for her to climb on.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enuja

Trimming nails is definitely good. You can actually just use a human nail clipper, if that's what you've got. Search this site; there are many threads on how to trim nails.
Human nail clippers can be great at the beginning especially if you're not used to the nail trimming process. When using them it is a little easier to see the vein. Just snip the tips and you and kitty will be fine.

However as the cat gets older it's best to use a tool designed specially for cats because the human nail clipper can cause their nails to splinter and crack. So it may be just as well if you start with the nail clipper for cats.

It's whatever you're more comfortable with.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack had trouble with this too at first. By about 5 months he was out of the faze and almost never pulls them out now.

**Sidenote, dont' expect that to be the last scratches with blood you receive, even with clipping nails regularly. I've still got some healing from about 4 weeks. They weren't pretty--Jack did indeed rip holes in my shirt that time. Granted that was due to a freak scare while I was holding him on his leash. The three scratches were right at my collar bone and hurt like nothing I've ever experienced.

Leslie