Mascara is Evil

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a big fan of makeup but have an important event coming up this weekend, where we have to dress "to the nines." I tried out my new makeup yesterday to make sure I still know how to do it and now I remember why I don't wear mascara!

I could feel it on my eyelashes all day and when I used the remover pads last night (which don't work that great btw), it felt like my eyes had some kind of film over them. What a mess!

I'm getting my hair styled tomorrow and just called the salon and added on a lash tint, too. Would have been cheaper to just get the tint in the first place! Argh!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in agreement with you. Last time I wore mascara, my eyes swelled shut.
Apparently I reacted badly to that specific brand, but I'm too chicken to try any again. I'll just pass on mascara even in instances when "necessary".

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a special pigment they use for lashes and eyebrows. They do it at the salon where I do massages, but have never actually seen one done.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like mascara either. I hate the feeling of having goopie, sticky eyelashes. Plus I rub my eyes a lot so then it ends up every where.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's right; it's a special vegetable dye (NOT hair dye) that professionals use around the eyes. Takes about 15 minutes and is $20. I've never had it done before; it has to be better than mascara!

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... that sounds really neat. I have nice long full eyelashes... but they are light, so you can't really see them.

I'll have to call around and find a place that does it, I'm game, I'd like to give it a go.

Let us know how it goes after you get it done

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't even think about it. I've been wearing it for so long, I feel weird if I go out without it!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm with you, Cat!! For a very short period in my youth, I did the makeup thing, and found it to be messy, expensive, time-consuming, and in the end "NOT ME" -- so I gave it up as a bad job, and confine myself to a little lip gloss once in a while -- if I remember. Hope your event is worth the fuss.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't remember the last time I wore mascara-I suppose the stuff I have should be thrown out. Hope the lash tint process works for you.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

That's right; it's a special vegetable dye (NOT hair dye) that professionals use around the eyes. Takes about 15 minutes and is $20. I've never had it done before; it has to be better than mascara!
I don't wear mascara either - I rarely wear any make up, and hate the feel of it now.

When I have something on, I prefer a lash tint. They goop the stuff on your lashes, put some cotton pads on them, then you wait about 10 minutes while it takes - and it often stings, and there's nothing you can do about it.

When it's done though, it looks really good! All the lashes are darkened, and you don't have big chunks of goo stuck to your lashes, they don't run when they're wet, and you don't have to take it off before bed. It really makes your eyes pop as well.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG i'd be lost without my mascara! I feel totally naked without it! I'm really picky about what kinds/brands i use though - no clumps for me!!!

As far as eye makeup remover goes- Mary Kay has an AWESOME one that isn't greasy at all!
(or in a pinch, you can use a little baby oil on a cotton ball and then wash your face afterwards- it'll take it ALL off!)

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely wear makeup. I used to wear makeup as a teenager, then I had to use prescription cream, everynight to take care of the rash on my face.
But I had to look cool right, Now I only use it for special occasions.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't need mascara thankfully.
I was blessed with long, thick, dark lashes, the downside though is that I'm always getting a lash in my eye, or one that grows wild.

My mother though wears a hypoallergenic, colorless mascara.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate mascara. It's clumpy...

I don't mind eyeshadow, but it gets itchy and I rub my eyes and it all comes off...

I don't like most foundations because they feel funny...

And stabbing oneself in the eye with eyeliner hurts.

My roommate insists on mascara at all times (for her, not me!
) She reapplies it constantly!

I put a bit on for special occasions, but meh.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely wear mascara. A little always gets in my eyes and because I have dry eye, which the mascara tends to make worse, my eyes often won't even water to wash the stuff out.

I usually just wear foundation in the highest SPF I can find.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to feel naked without my mascara, but after my cornea infection last summer my eyes were very sensitive to it. Now I can wear it, but I have to be sure to take it off at night. I used to fall asleep with it on most nights. I think wearing my glasses makes me miss it less, without them I'd totally notice it! So now I wear it every now and then or if I dress nice, otherwise I go for basic eyeshadow and some eyeliner. That seems to be enough.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get my eyelashes tinted and LOVE it! I also wear mascara everyday and love that, too. Its never felt heavy for me, but I guess Im just use to it.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I seldom wear mascara, or anything around my eyes, but I love Physician's Formula Mineral Wear powder foundation. It hides everything and looks very natural. I would love to try Bare Essentials, but it is too expensive. That and lipstick or gloss is all I use.