Litter Box Problem

furrylover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HELP!! I'm about at my wit's end. My Maverick ( 14 month old male) hates the litter box. I adopted him last month & found ot that was the reason hewas taken to the shelter when he was 6 months old. He does use it on occasion I"ve seen him. But lately he's been going elsewhere in the basement.I love him to death & hate the thought of taking him back.
I've tried everything & would aprreciate any help anyone could give me. I just love this site, it's the greatest & so are the people. He has buddy also from the shelter .So I don't know if he doesn't likesharing or what.Please someone tell me this problem can be corrected.As I said I'm at my wit's end & I don't want to give him up. All my cats are strictly indoor.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This should be in the behavior forum, and if you check there you will see a sticky article on litter box problems.

He may need litterbox re-training if all else fails.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The expert forum is dealing with litter box issues right now. Check it out!

They will want to know things like, how many boxes you have, location of them, type of litter, type of box etc

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrylover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
l
Thanks for the help on what forum I should of gone to> I'm sorry I put it on the wrong one>I'm new & I'm still learning on what goes where. I assumed it would be on thias cause I had read somewhere at time, the problem maybe caused by a health issue.I apologize for my mistake. And did learn a few more things I can try from the other forum. So thank you both very much.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FurryLover

l
Thanks for the help on what forum I should of gone to> I'm sorry I put it on the wrong one>I'm new & I'm still learning on what goes where. I assumed it would be on thias cause I had read somewhere at time, the problem maybe caused by a health issue.I apologize for my mistake. And did learn a few more things I can try from the other forum. So thank you both very much.
litterbox avoidance can most definitely be caused by a UTI... however, since you said he had this problem previously, we assumed it was behavioral.
i've found the Cat Attract line to be helpful in retraining. it's sold online, but it's also carried by my local Petsmart.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i would highly recommend a vet check ASAP