Something is wrong with my eye? Cherry eye in humans?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can humans get cherry eyes? Just a bit ago my eyes was itching so I rubbed it. So when it went to the restroom I noticed my eye was real red. AS I looked closer I noticed that spot on the eye where dogs get cherry eye was swollen and sticking out. It hurt to even try to close my eye lid. I just put some eye drops in and the swelling went down just a little. What the heck is this and is it serious. I tried to take a picture but can't get a good one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not on the eye lid. Let me see if I can explain the location. Ok you know where the corner of your eye by your nose is. Ok normally there is that little pink bump thats in everyone's eye (tear duct I assume). Well it right past that. Its clear like membrane and its sticking out. It runs up and down from the top of the eye lid to the bottom. But not actually on the eye lid.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Its not on the eye lid. Let me see if I can explain the location. Ok you know where the corner of your eye by your nose is. Ok normally there is that little pink bump thats in everyone's eye (tear duct I assume). Well it right past that. Its clear like membrane and its sticking out. It runs up and down from the top of the eye lid to the bottom. But not actually on the eye lid.
OK, I also posted a photo in my previous reply. Does it look like that?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

OK, I also posted a photo in my previous reply. Does it look like that?
No its not a sty. My youngest had those so I know what they look like. This is different much like cherry eye in a dog. I posted a link to the location in my other post.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No its not a sty. My youngest had those so I know what they look like. This is different much like cherry eye in a dog. I posted a link to the location in my other post.
Yeah, I saw that. I would just go to the doctor then if it doesn't clear up.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I did some looking around. Apparently humans do have rements of a third eye lid. And apparently it can become swollen just like in dogs. I believe that is what my problem is a swollen 3rd eye lid. Now the question is what to do to fix it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_eyelid

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it pink eye? That is an contagious infection that you will need to see Dr and get meds.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think its that. Today I cut grass. And I was laying on the couch watching a movie. And my eye itched so I rubbed it (eye lid closed). Then I got up and went to the rest room and noticed it red and the 3rd eyelid was swollen. The redness is gone and now the swelling is going down.

Originally Posted by abbycats

Is it pink eye? That is an contagious infection that you will need to see Dr and get meds.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok I did some looking around. Apparently humans do have rements of a third eye lid. And apparently it can become swollen just like in dogs. I believe that is what my problem is a swollen 3rd eye lid. Now the question is what to do to fix it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_eyelid
Maybe you got something in your eye while cutting grass. I hope it's not herpes. People can get that in their eyes. Doesn't sound like herpes though. You said it's going away so I'm guessing it was just irritated.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a perfect world I would. But I can't really do that. The swelling is going down now. And I will be more cautious in the future.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try warm water eye rinses. You can make a slightly salty solution, but because the eye is a sensitive organ, I wouldn't recommend making your own rinse. I would stick with just plain warm water that you have boiled and let cool down to a tolerable level.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I replied to this thread, but now I can't find my post.

Myabe an insect bit your eye? I guess if it was my eye, I would just go to the doctor.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have this happen a lot actually, I have allergies (to cats
) and sometimes their fur gets in my eyes and I rub them and the area beneath my eye under my bottom lid will get very swollen and turn red- you're right, it does look like cherry eye
What helps me is to run water in my eye to flush out the irritants and soothe it

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend got that ( he's allergic to some cats ) when he was petting an outdoor kitty once. The funny thing is... he's not even allergic to my kitten ( an indoor cat ). Weird huh?