My dog isnt bad???(kind of long)

chetwynsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are both suckers.We have had Tucker for almost 2years now and he just dosnt like people.We got him at 5months old and he took right to me but if my other half was in the house tucker was under or behind anything .That lasted about a week then he came around.We tryed to take him with us every where we went but when the fear turned to agression there were only some places we could go (where we knew we would have understanding)Now 2years later he can only go to his "grandparents".He has jumped at people to bite but hasnt connected.He is now muzzled when other people are around.
He is very well behaved ,just snap your fingers and whatever you want him to do is done.Tell him to give you a paw to cut his nails.He will also ingnore people as long as they dont reach out to him (how do you tell that to kids)All the trainers have had no luck(almost nailed one when she tryed to reach out with a treat)He loves every animal he meets from birds to horses, our two cats and other dog are his best buds
Can anyone think of anything else we can try???

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Chetwynsmom

He is very well behaved ,just snap your fingers and whatever you want him to do is done.Tell him to give you a paw to cut his nails.
If he listens to you so well for these types of commands, what are you doing to command him away from being people aggressive? For the rare times when people cause an adverse behavior with my dogs (Sam sometimes growls at people that come into our home), I will remove them from the situation. Take them into a bedroom and command them to stay there. Over time, the finger snap tells them to chill out with strangers.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dog used to be somewhat scary around strangers. I started bringing him to work with me to socialize him more with people. However I gave them all treats to give him. Like turkey hotdogs.

Now my dog except for when someone knocks at the door. Associates strangers with hot dogs. Go figure.

It's what worked for me.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There has to be a way. I just wanted to say that I was in a similar position with one of my old dogs. I was a very active person with her. Took her everywhere I went. She was socialized pretty much everyday. The socialization pretty much did nothing. She has hated people all her life. I had three other dogs that were so loving and friendly everybody loved them. But my baby, for some reason just hated people. She was a German Shepherd btw. I stopped doing any sort of “people friendly” training when she was around 6, there was no point.

She was just like your baby. She was great, listened to all command, loved me to death but she growled and sometimes snapped (without ever biting) people. If a person ignored her she would ignore them. It pretty much just came to the point where whenever I went out and people approached I just told them flat out she’s not friendly, don’t bother. When people came over, same thing. I would keep her in a room, invite the people in, then when all was settled let her in the room with us and everything was fine as long as she was ignored.

Maybe dogs are just born crusty. I know people who are anti social, but maybe dogs have the same traits?

Either way, my dog was so much happier when people ignored her, she was less tense overall in life because after awhile no matter if I brought her to a place with 100 people she knew Mommy would have people leave her alone.

I have had tons of dogs in my life and she was the only crusty one, so I’m very sure it wasn’t my training. She just wanted to be alone with Mommy all the time.

Edit: As an added note, she was a verys scared puppy too.

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too have a fear agressive dog. She is ok in public and will go up to people and and sniff them, but at the house she has to be put up when strangers come over. She is a very low-confidence dog. She came this way as a puppy. Some dogs are just born with a poor temperament; socialization can help these dogs as pups sometimes, and sometimes not. You can try what others have suggested and have people give the dog treats. Make sure they don't look him in the eye. You may have to start with the people facing the other direction and let the dog come up and sniff when he's ready, and have the people give him a treat for this. Right now people are a Scary Thing, and you want him to associate them with fun and happiness.

I have been doing this with my lab mix and I have noticed tiny bits of improvement, but some dogs just can't get over their fear no matter what you try. But always work on your commands and keep trying (but don't stress out the dog, watch for stress behaviors such as low/tucked tail, ears back, licking lips, drooling/panting) and try not to go over his threshold.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chetwynsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It makes me feel better that im not alone .He wont let people give him treats (even real liver)We just had another incedent this morning, was told to put him to sleep(thank god for the muzzle)I just wished he looked mean,i think that might be the biggest problem(he looks tike a 4mth old golden)I have to try to get pics he looks so sweet.It is funny we have no problen with our younger dog everyone who meets her wants to take her home with them.I just wish people would listen when i tell them not to pay attention tohim

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wish people would listen when i tell them not to pay attention tohim
You know I really wish people would listen too. I can't tell you how many times I have told people in the past "Don't pet him, just ignore him." Yet they think they are different.

My best friend had a really aggressive cat. That cat only loved his mommy. I even lived with her for a couple month and that cat never warmed up to me. With the exception of my feet. He would let me pet him with my toes. That was it. He was so aggressive that if you tried to pet him he would swat at you and chase you. She ALWAYS told people not to pet him but ohhh noooo they are different like some kind a pet wisperer.."all animals love me" noo they don't.

So no you are not alone and your dog isn't bad.

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My five year old JRT has problems with aggression, she barks and growls at people and other dogs when we go out for walks usually when we are on 'her' territory, she's also a nightmare at the vets. This all started when she was about one year old, she was attacked by another dog but thankfully she was fine. She also had to have lots of vet trips because of a health condition, her behaviour gradually got worse and worse every time we went. My ex was a violent man too which I think affected her, she's a smart girl and very sensitive.

I was reading a magazine article the other day and I do think that this aggression is in Poppy's nature as well as the things that have happened to her, I'm sure that not all dogs would turn out as she has! I just keep trying with her training, I do what I can and don't give up.

I'm sorry for all you that have bad tempered dogs but it's so nice to know I'm not alone! Try to ignore what other people say about your dog, you're doing your best.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by silvionc

If a person ignored her she would ignore them. It pretty much just came to the point where whenever I went out and people approached I just told them flat out sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s not friendly, donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t bother. When people came over, same thing. I would keep her in a room, invite the people in, then when all was settled let her in the room with us and everything was fine as long as she was ignored.

Either way, my dog was so much happier when people ignored her, she was less tense overall in life because after awhile no matter if I brought her to a place with 100 people she knew Mommy would have people leave her alone.
That's interesting that you say this. If you have ever read Jan Fennell's books on Dog Listening (not to be confused with Milan's Dog Whispering), this is one of the 4 primary tactics you should use with dogs to gain their respect. The philosophy is this: when an "alpha" dog returns to the pack from a hunt, he/she will ignore the other dogs until he/she is ready to interact with them. By doing this, it reinforces his role as the pack alpha. Dogs instinctively want to know their place in a pack, and it makes them relaxed to know it.

My nephew has a fear aggressive dog that has bit 2 people and is 1 more bite from being euthanized. When I met her for the first time I simply ignored her. My nephew told me that he had never seen her respond to a person so calmly in the 3 years he had her. While ignoring her, she tried her darndest to get my attention by licking my hands (sign of submission). I wouldn't acknowledge her and she remained calm with me.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Chetwynsmom

We are both suckers.We have had Tucker for almost 2years now and he just dosnt like people.We got him at 5months old and he took right to me but if my other half was in the house tucker was under or behind anything .That lasted about a week then he came around.We tryed to take him with us every where we went but when the fear turned to agression there were only some places we could go (where we knew we would have understanding)Now 2years later he can only go to his "grandparents".He has jumped at people to bite but hasnt connected.He is now muzzled when other people are around.
He is very well behaved ,just snap your fingers and whatever you want him to do is done.Tell him to give you a paw to cut his nails.He will also ingnore people as long as they dont reach out to him (how do you tell that to kids)All the trainers have had no luck(almost nailed one when she tryed to reach out with a treat)He loves every animal he meets from birds to horses, our two cats and other dog are his best buds
Can anyone think of anything else we can try???
Behaviorist. Not just a dog trainer. These two types are different.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jupeycat

My five year old JRT has problems with aggression, she barks and growls at people and other dogs when we go out for walks usually when we are on 'her' territory, she's also a nightmare at the vets. I was reading a magazine article the other day and I do think that this aggression is in Poppy's nature as well as the things that have happened to her, I'm sure that not all dogs would turn out as she has!
Sweetie, I mean this nice but I see a lot of people make all excuses under the sun for their dogs. Dogs live in the moment and can easily change. Don't make excuses for her. Don't let her bark and growl at other people and dogs. It is in your control. Know this. Don't reward bad behavior. What do you do when she acts this way? Comfort her, tell her is okay? I see a lot of people do this but it isn't the right way to handle it. You make them stop even if you have to call off the walk or put her back in the house until she calms down, don't allow her to leave the whole all riled up and looking for issues when there isn't any. You have to be in control of the walks and have her under control. And do a lot of training of yourself and really mean it, then her.

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
cococat,

I am Jupeycat's partner and feel need to comment on your mis-conception of our situation.

First off your theory is rather obvious and well known, I'm sure, to the most novice of pet-parents. You have quoted us, and therefore I assume you have read that we have had Poppy for 5 years. Assuming that we comfort her when she is in the wrong is patronising. Please dont generalise the issues that can be responsible for adverse behaviour in animals - not everything lays at the owner's feet, animals have personalities too!

Poppy has been through a rough time in the past, we take responsibility for that but the situations she has been in were unavoidable.

Poppy is in a better place with us now - she's in a new environment and we work on her behaviour constantly. She's worth it and we're not going to give up on our approach - it will work eventually!

We were not seeking advice here - if we were, we could consult a vet or a behaviourist (as we have done in the past). We were showing support to the OP and letting her know she's not alone in a situation where best efforts don't seem to be enough.

For the future, please ask yourself if the post you are quoting is actually asking a question rather than proffering support.

Regards,

Jupey's hubby