Hisses at me after I used Feliway spray

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Been using the spray & the plug-in for about a month. Plug-in is in-use 24/7 but I use the spray once in a while, always do that when my cat is not present in the room.

I used the spray yesterday while my baby-cat was in another room hiding.
She might have heard the sound but I don't think she saw me doing that.
However, as soon as I finished off & packed the container, I noticed that she was out from hiding and started hissing at me. I just ignored her, walked away and came back to her like in 20 minutes. She was back to usual kitten at that time. Is this normal? Why did she hiss at me? Was she annoyed because I sprayed Feliway?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KKH

Been using the spray & the plug-in for about a month. Plug-in is in-use 24/7 but I use the spray once in a while, always do that when my cat is not present in the room.

I used the spray yesterday while my baby-cat was in another room hiding.
She might have heard the sound but I don't think she saw me doing that.
However, as soon as I finished off & packed the container, I noticed that she was out from hiding and started hissing at me. I just ignored her, walked away and came back to her like in 20 minutes. She was back to usual kitten at that time. Is this normal? Why did she hiss at me? Was she annoyed because I sprayed Feliway?
Based on my cat's behavior, anytime I spray anything, be it room fresh spray or what, they get very annoyed. Alley (AKA Fraidy) heads for under the bed anytime any kind of spray is used anywhere she can hear it and she can hear real good!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, one of the spot I used Feliway on the other day, I saw her squatting and almost getting ready for marking. I yelled at her right away. She ran from there, turned around, hissed at me, then hid under a bed. I loudly said to her "Girl, you DON'T suppose to pee there. That is not your bathroom, do you hear me!?".
Then a couple of minutes later, she came out & went into her litter for "the business". I praised her as soon as she came out but I wonder if she intentionally does that only to get my attention???

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The spray may sound like hissing to her so she may be reacting to that.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my cats were kittens, I took them to the vet, he sat them down next to this big dog and they got extremely frightened and started hissing. One of their techs sprayed them literally sprayed them with feliway.

Later after they were much older, I used it and immediately they started hissing, again later later, I tried to use it one more time and it seemed to calm them and didnt have any more problems with them hissing after that.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

The spray may sound like hissing to her so she may be reacting to that.
Hmmm...wonder that may be it.
It happened only once, but when I sprayed catnip on her scratching board, she started hissing at me. Of course, as soon as she found out that that was catnip, she seemed completely forgot that she hissed...

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

When my cats were kittens, I took them to the vet, he sat them down next to this big dog and they got extremely frightened and started hissing. One of their techs sprayed them literally sprayed them with feliway.

Later after they were much older, I used it and immediately they started hissing, again later later, I tried to use it one more time and it seemed to calm them and didnt have any more problems with them hissing after that.
Does this mean it may take time until my cat gets used to it & completely comfortable with the spray?