National Disaster Animal Response Team (NDART)

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is anyone part of the NDART team run by Humane Society of the United States?

A friend was telling me about it and that she was going to training to apply to be a volunteer so I've decided to train her.

We're attending 2 courses - a 2 day one in Emergency Animal Sheltering, and a 3 day Disaster Animal Response Training course. Then there's a bunch of free online courses through FEMA about Emergency Response training in general and for animals - a couple are mandatory, a couple are recommended.

Once we complete all that, we should be able to apply for volunteers for the National Response team, and with our shelter volunteering experience/commitment we should get accepted as volunteers.

Then from there, they call on their NDART volunteers to help out in emergency situations - fires, floods, earthquakes etc to I guess do the equivalent of the Red Cross, but for animals - evacuating, finding safe shelter, looking after the animals while they're in limbo, reuniting with their families, or putting them up in shelters.

Because I'm studying externally with my degree, I can take all my books on the road if needed, and help out when necessary at pretty much the drop of a hat. I'm really excited about it, I think it would be really interesting and very rewarding (although probably also hard work, and heartbreaking at the same time).

Anyone else do this?

There's more info about it here - http://hsus.org/hsus_field/hsus_disa...onse_team.html

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds great! I have never heard of it, but am glad someone is finally doing something like that. It was heartbreaking to see the animals after Katrina just wandering around lost.
I wanted to volunteer for the MERT (military emergency response teams) and give chair massages to the people that were working to save others in any kind of disaster. I had a teacher that worked outside the Pentagon after 911, and she said it was the most rewarding thing she had ever done. They worked 72 hours on 72 off, but the people working were so grateful for 15 minutes of rest and comfort. unfortunately my health will not allow it. I can't even go out in bright sunlight for more than a few minutes or I will jaundice.
Best of luck with your training, bless you for doing it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hadn't heard of it until my friend mentioned it either, I guess there's all sort of emergency groups now!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! What a great program to get involved with! I have heard of it! I believe they have come to our area of Iowa several times!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a member but I do know how important the work they're doing is. I live 5 blocks from the MIssissippi River, and the flooding has both wild and domestic animals in trouble. I'm not sure if it's the national group that's been doing the rescuing around here. Unfortunately, a lot of people in the flood plain leave their dogs and cats behind when the water rises. Our local humane society is packed with rescued animals, and our county fairgrounds have become a holding area for mainly wild critters, including half a dozen fawns that were pulled from flood waters, and someone's pet pig! I have great respect for anyone who does this kind of work.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful thing to do! And a brave thing, too... physically and emotionally. I really admire you, Sarah, for doing so much volunteer work in a country that isn't even your own.

I saw a clip on NBC's evening news the other night -- after the earthquakes in China, a camera crew spotted a tiny kitten swimming frantically in the floodwaters. They held out a board and the kitten crawled up on it, and a doctor who was there tucked him into his shirt and carried him off. Poor kitten looked so tired, he just wilted when he finally got up on the board and could stop paddling. I hope he has a good home with that doctor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

What a wonderful thing to do! And a brave thing, too... physically and emotionally. I really admire you, Sarah, for doing so much volunteer work in a country that isn't even your own.

I saw a clip on NBC's evening news the other night -- after the earthquakes in China, a camera crew spotted a tiny kitten swimming frantically in the floodwaters. They held out a board and the kitten crawled up on it, and a doctor who was there tucked him into his shirt and carried him off. Poor kitten looked so tired, he just wilted when he finally got up on the board and could stop paddling. I hope he has a good home with that doctor.
And that's why I want to do it - it breaks my heart seeing that sort of thing and I feel so helpless sitting at home on the couch. So many loyal animals get abandoned

Also - if I can see how it works, and how they run it, it may be something I can take back to Australia with me - if it's not already set up in Australia, TRY to get it set up!