Moving - what to do with my puddies

geofflondon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I just want to stop in and ask for some advice.

I currently live in the UK (have a British passport) and am considering moving to the US for a couple of years so as to travel the world. The only problem is I have 3 lovely cats whom I've had for many many years and I don't know what options are available to me.

I can't really bring them with me because it'll make getting an apartment in the city really difficult so my options are basically to try and relocate them whilst I'm away. I was wondering if there might be someone that has long term cat boarding - i.e the cat actually moves in with them and returns to me when I get home. Has anyone heard of this?

I adore the little things and would be totally bereft if I lost them for good. These are only preliminary questions, I may not even go in the end, but I wanted suggestions, tips etc.

Thanks

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know of a place that does that as an actual business (especially since I am in the States) but hopefully someone from the UK may know of somewhere. I think your best option though may actually be a family member who could keep them and then you could get them back. Or maybe a really close friend. Either way, I hope that you find someone to keep your babies until you settle back down from your travels. And good for you for keeping them in mind and not just abandoning them!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you where in the US you are planning on going? America is very pet friendly, and certainly in California, everyone seems to have a pet - you just pay a pet deposit or pet rent in case they do any damage.

Otherwise as SillyJilly said - a friend or family may be your best bet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

geofflondon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

I do not know of a place that does that as an actual business (especially since I am in the States) but hopefully someone from the UK may know of somewhere. I think your best option though may actually be a family member who could keep them and then you could get them back. Or maybe a really close friend. Either way, I hope that you find someone to keep your babies until you settle back down from your travels. And good for you for keeping them in mind and not just abandoning them!
I could never abandon them! I love them WAAAAYYY to much! If I go I know I will miss them like crazy.

Thanks for the advice - and Sarah I will look into taking them to the states as well, though I'll probably be in NYC so don't know how friendly that is.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in the UK and the only place I can think of is at a cattery. the cattery where I take Mitzi can keep her for as long as I like I think! But I hate going away and leaving her for more than 2 weeks
So you could ask at one. Other than that I don't know of any places that would 'keep' them for you, places like the RSPCA and that lot are always full so I think you should do what SillyJilly says and let them stay with F & F. Or you could have a F or F member come and stay at yours whilst you're away?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how old your cats are, but mine are 3 and 4 and I will be taking them from Germany to Australia.

The process looks really difficult, but the lady who has guided me through everything has made it really easy for me! it does take a nine month process though! You need to get them microchipped and vaccinated, then get their blood work done, when everything passes you can get the documentation done and then its ready for them to go on the plane.

I had a collegue who wanted to move back to NZ but isn't going to until her cat goes, but then again her cat is 18.

I can give you the email address of the woman who i work with, She is a cattery person and doesnt just do Germany, she does the whole of europe and other countries. You can enquire about it and she will go into full detail with you about all possibilities, my last phone call to her was 3 hours long.

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
More and more U.S. apartment complexes are allowing pets (both cats and dogs). As someone mentioned, it just means paying a little extra in pet deposits/pet rent. I would think NYC would be pet-friendly, because I have seen lots of stuff on TV about dog-walkers in NYC. So I'm sure there would be lots of places that would allow kitties, too. Good luck!

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel, as I am actually relocating to a rabies-free state in a couple of months, and going through all the quarantine requirements.
I was first wondering if I should leave my cat here in the mainland but I just could not leave her - I love her sooo much, she must be coming with me wherever I go

Talking about NYC, I don't think you'd have any problem finding a place there that allows your babies. I used to live in NYC - so many friends of mine were living with cats in their apartment. Despite of the size of property, ppl with pet is very common there. I've also heard that cats are generally more acceptable than dogs as they don't bark(well, some cats meow very loud but it is very rare & unusual I must say). You'd have to pay an extra deposit and possibly "pet rent" every month as well but that's definitely your option. Good luck

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that you should be able to find an apartment that will allow your kitties. I could be wrong, but I'd almost say more would allow cats than not. Many landlords allow cats only (they are quieter than dogs, and don't require going outside), and others allow pets under 20lbs, if not allowing pets of any size. Usually you're required to sign a liability agreement, and sometimes a pet deposit or monthly pet rent. My last apartment was $10/month/cat, and where I'm living now I don't pay anything. I don't envy the process you might have to go through to get them here, but it would be worth it to keep them with you.