Speeding Problem

loreye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband likes to drive fast. He will not admit to himself that he still drives too fast. He hates it when my family members tease him about it. But it's true... he speeds.

He got a speeding ticket going 110 in an 80 zone...
A speeding ticket going 125 in a 100 zone
Pulled over by a state trooper in new jersey (he wasn't on radar, the cop just knew he was speeding, pulled us over and warned him to slow down, also canadian car with canadian plates, we don't have miles per hour only kilometres, but that is still no excuse, he was going over 130, he knew he was speeding.)

we were lucky we didn't get a ticket driving to ontario this winter. he was pushing the limit the entire way. The limit on the trans canada is 110. We never went less than 120 the entire time on the highway... he will set the cruise control to 120!

It makes me mad. He doesn't like it when I call him on the speeding but I hate it! He won't listen to me. On the old highway from Petawawa to Ottawa (two lane, two way traffic) he will drive 110 (90 is the limit) there is usually other cars on the road and he will be on their butts the whole time. Yet he complains when people are on his butt.

What can I say to him? I don't want another ticket! But it might take another ticket for him to finally listen to me.

I need something new to say. Because "You're driving too fast" doesn't work anymore.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know how strange "100 zone" sounds to this American??

Honestly, my hubby used to do the same thing when we first started dating. I hated it. Almost broke up with him because one time I wasn't feeling good and told him "I'm going to sleep. I will wake up if you speed, and I won't be happy." Well, he was speeding, I woke up, and about the same time I did a cop pulled him over!

I was so mad I really almost left him! I think that helped him to finally listen. I know that's not an option for a husband (darn!
). But, it took him a few more speeding tickets before he finally slowed down. Maybe that's ultimately what will stop yours, too.

Of course, and I hate to shove the obvious in his face, but have you mentioned gas prices?? Speeding KILLS your MPG (I just bought a Prius and it has a display of MPG, and boy, it's like stepping on the gas kills the MPG!). Maybe that will help him see the light? They say it's 1 MPG less per mile over 55.

Good luck! Men can be so stubborn and illogical!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Honestly, my hubby used to do the same thing when we first started dating. I hated it. Almost broke up with him because one time I wasn't feeling good and told him "I'm going to sleep. I will wake up if you speed, and I won't be happy." Well, he was speeding, I woke up, and about the same time I did a cop pulled him over!

I was so mad I really almost left him! I think that helped him to finally listen. I know that's not an option for a husband (darn!
). But, it took him a few more speeding tickets before he finally slowed down. Maybe that's ultimately what will stop yours, too.

Of course, and I hate to shove the obvious in his face, but have you mentioned gas prices?? Speeding KILLS your MPG (I just bought a Prius and it has a display of MPG, and boy, it's like stepping on the gas kills the MPG!). Maybe that will help him see the light? They say it's 1 MPG less per mile over 55.

Good luck! Men can be so stubborn and illogical!
well, i can say here that not ALL cars will have MPG killed by speeding. Some cars are made to be driven a bit faster then American/Canadian laws allow, but not many,lol.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

lol, I read the first part and I was like 100, 125?! Woah!! lol

It might be worth a try to point out the MPG thing, especially with canadian gas prices!
You could point out something about what happens if someone has an accident driving at those speeds. Good luck getting through to him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loreye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for the fast replies. we are driving in to pembroke today, and I think I just need to be fearless...

I need to take it up with him how much this bothers me, that tickets are something we can't afford...ever! if he wants to save money for a project car, or to get that new kitchen table set, maybe a down payment on a house someday we can't be getting tickets.

One reason I keep my mouth shut is he takes everything so personally and a little thing like this turns in to a big fight. I'll be ready and not back down... fight schmight! We're married.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took my fiance until he got his license suspended for 90 days to slow down. He has had 6 speeding tickets, but only one since his license got suspended 3 years ago. That one was only because he was still going too fast right after he passed where the limit was slower and there was a cop sitting in a gas station and caught him.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LorEye

My husband likes to drive fast. He will not admit to himself that he still drives too fast. He hates it when my family members tease him about it. But it's true... he speeds.

He got a speeding ticket going 110 in an 80 zone...
A speeding ticket going 125 in a 100 zone
Pulled over by a state trooper in new jersey (he wasn't on radar, the cop just knew he was speeding, pulled us over and warned him to slow down, also canadian car with canadian plates, we don't have miles per hour only kilometres, but that is still no excuse, he was going over 130, he knew he was speeding.)

we were lucky we didn't get a ticket driving to ontario this winter. he was pushing the limit the entire way. The limit on the trans canada is 110. We never went less than 120 the entire time on the highway... he will set the cruise control to 120!

It makes me mad. He doesn't like it when I call him on the speeding but I hate it! He won't listen to me. On the old highway from Petawawa to Ottawa (two lane, two way traffic) he will drive 110 (90 is the limit) there is usually other cars on the road and he will be on their butts the whole time. Yet he complains when people are on his butt.

What can I say to him? I don't want another ticket! But it might take another ticket for him to finally listen to me.

I need something new to say. Because "You're driving too fast" doesn't work anymore.
Tell him he can get his license revoked for having too many speeding tickets. He might listen then.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Rob was 17, he had his license revoked thanks to 8 speeding tickets. He's slowed down considerably I've been told. We both still do 10mph over on the interstate (or ride with traffic in the left lane if they are going faster - but we stay in the center of the group of speeders), and 5mph or so around town.

His final ticket was 80 in a 50. The cop pulled him over in his own driveway and told his parents when they came out that they needed to take his license and turn it over. His dad took it and handed it to the officer, so he was without being able to drive for 6 months or so his senior year of HS.

If he doesn't listen to you or slow down, he'll learn real quick when his license is revoked for too many tickets/points.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should come to germany for a week or so, and make him drive on the Autobahn at 200+

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My SO had his driver's license suspended for 11 years because he had do many tickets and DUIs, driving under suspension, sometimes they couldn't catch him or he would have had more. (he is motorcycle riding somebody) I drove us everywhere for seven years, and he hates how I drive.
He may also get behind someone like me that will lock down their brakes and they tap me hard enough to deploy their airbag. I drive an old pickup now, I used to drive a retired police car which was nearly indestructible. I won't get hurt just by a tap to the bumper and I hate tailgaters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loreye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he tries to argue that the ticket for the going 110 in an 80 zone wasn't actually a speeding ticket. I wasn't there but I saw the ticket. he was clocked at 110, pulled over, he is a big talker so he made up a really good sob story about how he was in a hurry to pick up his buddy and they were on their way back to gagetown (army base) so he used his army-ness to get out of a speeding ticket because in Nova Scotia when you get caught speeding you lose your license for a week (you get to pick the week). The cop gave him a break and called the violation something else so he wouldn't lose his license, because at that time he was travelling back and forth every weekend from new brunswick and nova scotia.