Should I take it?

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had an interview yesterday that went very well and I am pretty sure I am going to get the job but it only offers $3/hour + tips. Its a restaurant that doesn't really fit economically in the area its in. Prices average from about 6-23 dollars per serving and its in a farming community so people don't have that kind of money to spend on food. Which means service is going to be very slow which means I won't be getting much in tips so I will be making pretty much $3/hour. Thats about 90 dollars a week(dad probably won't let me work 30 hours a week but thats what i want to try) with out taxes factored in. I need a job to build references and a resume but...I need more money than that. So I will be pulling in 180 dollars per paycheck with out taxes and social security. so maybe about 100-120 every paycheck. But in that two weeks I will spend $128 dollars in gas, if I only drive to work and back and go no where else. So if I get this job I won't even be able to cover the cost of gas, not that I need to worry about it dad pays for my gas but he might start wanting to get reimbursed now that i have a job.

So should I take the job?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What would you be working? If serving you could potentially get some tips -but they may not be much, and in farming communities breakfast tends to be the busiest. It's when people get together to socialize even if they're only getting a cup of coffee. So that's probably when you'd want to work if you could.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I am in school from 8AM-11:15AM so breakfast will be over and I probably won't start working until about 2ish because i need time to do homework. I should be doing that now but this is a million times more entertaining and it doesn't make my head hurt.

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't. My suggestion would be to start as a hostess at a popular restaurant. When you're a waitress, if you're serving two 6 dollar meals to two people, that's 12 bucks.. and most people only tip 15-20 percent.. so that's 3 dollars if you're lucky. Look for a place with higher prices on food and that is decently busy, and eventually switch over from a host to a sever. Best way to do it. Otherwise you're not going to make much at all. =(

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$3/hr? I wouldn't take it but thats just me. I don't think I make enough and I make $9.19/hour. Our minimum wage though is $8.75/hour. If you work in a restaurant here and it serves alcohol then you get minimum $7.60/hour, otherwise they have to pay you the regular minimum wage.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm confused. If you would be making less money than it costs you to get to work, why would you even consider it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Because this is the first job offer I've gotten in the last 2 months of looking. And I have only had 1 other job and it was working for my dad so I really really need references. Also 3/hour is better than 0/hour which is what I am making. And I don't have to pay for gas so its not like I am losing money but my dad won't be happy that he is shelling out money for gas when I'm not making it back.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn't do it. It doesn't seem worth it if you are spending more in gas than you would make at work over 2 weeks. If you really want the job to kill some time and make a few extra dollars, then do it, since I think I recall your parents give you x amount right now as support.

Regardless of whether or not you take it, I'd be seriously job-hunting for something better than $3/hr+tips. Especially since it doesnt sound like that is a booming restaurant.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No way! You want a decent reference then you are better off volounteering for 0% for a better job than just $3 an hour! Oh and by the way, in hospitality industry, you will end up doing over time no matter what, something will always come up!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt do it. I HATED serving food. It was such an annoying job!

My first job was at a marina bar and grill and it wasnt any fun at all!
Then I worked at a grocery store and it was pretty good. The pay wasnt bad but not good.
Have you tried local grocery stores or anything like that? Or even like someone else said as being a hostess instead of a waitress.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fwan's idea of volunteering is brilliant! It will probably give you a chance to do a wider variety of work to put on your resume, it will show prospective employers that you have a generous spirit... and maybe you can do something for animals!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Fwan's idea of volunteering is brilliant! It will probably give you a chance to do a wider variety of work to put on your resume, it will show prospective employers that you have a generous spirit... and maybe you can do something for animals!
i wouldn't take that job - too little money/too little work/etc.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I have a different opinion.

If your dad will still spring for the gas, I think you should seriously consider it. I think your dad might be waiting for you to take the bull by the horns and start making some of your own money. You need work experience and believe me, serving is work - oh, yeah - it's a PITA too!
Anyways, $3.00 an hour isn't really $3.00. Tips can add up, and although they might not add up to much at this particular restaurant, it will enable you to apply for your next job as an experienced server. If you work a dinner shift you will make more than lunch servers do.

As far as a hostess position, IMO, it is the easiest job in the restaurant, but you will make less than you will as a server.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't.. I personally hated serving food, but I didn't have the gas problem since the place I was at was a two minute drive from my house. And I got paid our minimum wage ($5.85) + tips.. and the tips were pretty good for being so empty and working 10am-2pm.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tough call. Breakfast is the busiest in a farming town especially Sunday, usually big business there and potentially a lot of tips. But would it make up for the rest of the week when it is slow? Would you have to share your tips with the bus staff, or are the service people also bussing the tables?
I would go for trying voulenteer work if you are stricly looking for refrences and money is not a question right now. Taking the job and leaving it for a better one if it comes along will make you look like a job hopper, potential employers dont like that.
Good luck to you on whatever you decide.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take the job with your dad if you need money, you said that job will get you the $$ that you need. When is he going to cut you off money wise? You do have a nice sum of money monthly to work with if you are willing to live frugal and make big life changes. Or are you just feeling pressure to have money to do more things, fun things? People deserve that too of course

Take this job too. Work for a few weeks, see how it goes. At least you are doing something and trying.

And volunteer for references just a few hours or maybe even two hours a week, you can even do this at school and spend one hour after a class or something. Your dad can be a reference for you too if you work for him. So can professors. I have worked as Recruiter for a corporate headquarters. Have you seached your college career services website? GO visit them in person. They are there to help students. Find an internship that pays, find a job.

Just IMO. Sorry if that wasn't helpful or seems like too much but you have to do what you have to do and that is what I would try to do if I didn't have money and the situation was urgent.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm amazed that anyone can get away with only paying $3.00 per hour. Minimum wage must surely be more than that in your area, no?

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm amazed that anyone can get away with only paying $3.00 per hour. Minimum wage must surely be more than that in your area, no?
Since tips are actually part of the server's income, $3.00 an hour is legal in most cases. The exception is when tips and the hourly wage add up to less than minimum wage. The employer is expected to kick in the difference. It is the server's responsibility to report wages and tips to the IRS.

Of course, if the employer has to pay extra, the server wouldn't last very long.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by algebrapro18

I had an interview yesterday that went very well and I am pretty sure I am going to get the job but it only offers $3/hour + tips. Its a restaurant that doesn't really fit economically in the area its in. Prices average from about 6-23 dollars per serving and its in a farming community so people don't have that kind of money to spend on food. Which means service is going to be very slow which means I won't be getting much in tips so I will be making pretty much $3/hour. Thats about 90 dollars a week(dad probably won't let me work 30 hours a week but thats what i want to try) with out taxes factored in. I need a job to build references and a resume but...I need more money than that. So I will be pulling in 180 dollars per paycheck with out taxes and social security. so maybe about 100-120 every paycheck. But in that two weeks I will spend $128 dollars in gas, if I only drive to work and back and go no where else. So if I get this job I won't even be able to cover the cost of gas, not that I need to worry about it dad pays for my gas but he might start wanting to get reimbursed now that i have a job.

So should I take the job?
Algebrapro - I did the math.

If you work 30 hours/week @$3/hour for 2 weeks is $180.00.
At 60 hours per 2 weeks (high estimate for hours) and you average 1 table per hour than you have 60 checks biweekly. If the average tab is $15.00, then a 15% tip per check is $2.25. Times 60 checks is $135.00. That is high for tips given your description but you may have underestimated your calculation.

So,
$180.00
+ 135.00
_______
$315.00
________
$187.00

You have to pay FICA and Medicare and probably Unemployment and disability. But even if they were 50% of gross, you would still net around $100.00.

I think that if you claim $0 withholding from federal and state you won't have taxes withheld and your employer does not have to file any other paperwork because you earn less than $200.00 per weekly pay period. Don't quote me on that! I am not a tax professional. I just looked the figures up on the net.

So, the decision may depend on the tips you get and the hours you work and the tax situation. The more hours you work in a given day and the less you have to drive the better the gas situation. Also, can you bike to work? Can you carpool? Can you take mass transit?

Having said all that, I waited tables to help put myself through undergrad and grad schools. You really have to have the personality to do this job. The more personality you have the better the tips. I have a great personality.

What about getting a job at your college? Can you tutor math? Can you work in computer operations? How about the library or the cafeteria? If you work at the college and it is part of a work study program you are exempt from FICA. If you are already using gas to get there, it won't cost any more.

Just my

Not an algebrapro, just have my MBA from U of M.