What do you eat for breakfast?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is sort of a strange thread
but I just have the most difficult time keeping breakfast food around the house, I dont use milk enough to keep it for cereal, not an oatmeal fan, etc etc. I usually end up eating a handfull of crackers and feeling sorry for myself, lol. So I thought I'd see if I could poach breakfast food ideas from someone

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I generally just have a cup of tea, a banana and some yoghurt for breakfast.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My normal breakfast each morning is 2 pieces of white toast with strawberry jam, followed by a nice hot cup of coffee

If I fancy a teeny bit of a change, I have a cold croissant cut in the middle and fill it with either blackcurrant or strawberry jam, or if I feel naughty I have Nutella chocolate spread

I'm not a huge fan of cereals, and I try to avoid them as much as possible. I hate the little bits that stick in your teeth!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you on the cereal thing! Milk doesn't stay around our house long enough to finish it off, then the cereal is unappealing after sitting opened (resealed, of course, but not the same!) for a month!

Honestly, though, I don't eat breakfast 90% of the time. My stomach is weird, and I honestly get quesey and crampy if I eat too early, like before 10, or less than three hours after waking up, whichever comes first. So if I wake up at 10, I'm good for breakfast! But on work days, when I get up 6, I can't really eat until about 9. So maybe when I eat at 9 I have breakfast, but I usually just call it an early lunch!

Anyway, enough rambling, you asked a real question! Since cereal isn't so easy for me to eat, either, one of my favorite substitute breakfasts is eggs. I know some people worry about cholesterol, but they're really good for you. I like a hard boiled egg or two, sometimes with some salt. Simple and yummy! Or, simple rice. That's my Japanese heritage! Or a bagel with cream cheese. Or just bread, such as toast with jelly or a muffin.

Hope you find some good ideas here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DeeDeeMay

If I fancy a teeny bit of a change, I have a cold croissant cut in the middle and fill it with either blackcurrant or strawberry jam, or if I feel naughty I have Nutella chocolate spread
Ooh, that sounds so good!!

Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

I like a hard boiled egg or two, sometimes with some salt. Simple and yummy!
Oh good idea! Hard boiled eggs keep for a while and it's an egg so its breakfasty, yum!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh, this thread made me smile, it reminds me of my Uncle Ed who just recently passed away. Im not a breakfast eater, on a big family vacation one year he noticed this and asked me " So, for breakfast then you just normally have a cup of coffee and a big bowl of cigarettes?" Ha, what a goof that man was!
Anyway, if you like a hearty breakfast, you could make a "breakfast bake" Its really easy and you put every togethor the night before. Its sort of like making a lasagna, only with breakfast foods. Layer bread (any kind you like, biscuts work wonderful for this too) sausage or bacon or ham or whatever you like, if vegan the veggie of choice, then pour beaten egg over the whole thing and put it in the fridge over night so the bread soaks up all the egg. Pop it in the oven in the morning when you get up and by the time you are done with your shower and stuff you have a really good smack ya in the face delish breakfast. Egg beaters work great with this too if you can't or choose not to eat eggs.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate waking up in the mornings. It doesn't matter if I am waking up at 5:00 am or noon, I always hate it and am slow to wake. Therefore, I am terrible at eating breakfast before work, but I always get hungry...

So I take snacks with me, healthy granola bars, things like apples, peanut butter crackers. Occasionally, I indulge in a pop tart or donut. Whatever I eat, it has to be portable and I need to be able to eat it while I work.

On the weekends, sometimes I will make pancakes or eggs and bacon, since I can be lazy and cook something an hour or two after waking.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Honestly, though, I don't eat breakfast 90% of the time. My stomach is weird, and I honestly get quesey and crampy if I eat too early, like before 10, or less than three hours after waking up, whichever comes first. So if I wake up at 10, I'm good for breakfast! But on work days, when I get up 6, I can't really eat until about 9. So maybe when I eat at 9 I have breakfast, but I usually just call it an early lunch!
I'm the same way. My stomach needs about 4 hours, no matter what time I wake up, before it will tolerate food (if it will tolerate food). supposedly this is because your digestive tract needs time to get to moving/awake, too. Combine that with the fact that mornings are generally bad for me - bad tachycardia, very low blood pressure, me stumbling around, etc and I don't even feel like eating anything.
It could also have to do with one's natural hormone levels throughout the day and night. Lower then normal cortisol in the morning, for example.. and I'm rambling again.

Many with GI issues have luck with the instant breakfast shakes, like carnation makes. Other light foods like yogurt (already suggested) and fruit sound great. I could never understand how anyone could eat greasy food early in the morning. Yuck!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually cereal and a banana on weekdays. On weekends DH and I almost always go out for breakfast.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually have cereal, fruit and coffee, My oldest daughter would never eat cereal , she usually has soup for breakfast, some fruit and a glass of milk.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL...well I don't eat like most folks when I'm eating properly (for me).

Today is sauteed angel hair cabbage mixed with 1 scrambled egg and a bit of leftover ground beef that is seasoned with chipotle chili powder and cumin

I love making a dish I call green beans carbonara - whole green beans sauteed (or boiled first then sauteed a bit) with no-salt/no-sugar bacon (cut into small pieces before cooking), and an egg scrambled in after the bacon has cooked, so the egg coats the green beans. Dash of tabasco. Yum!

Or I'll take a slice of roast beef, smear a bit of cream cheese in the slice, roll it up, put into a lettuce leaf that has a bit of mustard or mayo, to another roll..and have a meat roll for breakfast

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
gluten free waffles or a multi grain begal with milk or tea or coffee

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I eat oatmeal and 2 slices of Canadian Bacon every weekday morning. On weekend I'll usually make eggs and toast.

But I'm on this diet and in order to raise my metabolism I need to eat within 1/2 hr of waking up. I used to wait till I got to work and have a bagel and coffee not so good for weight control.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

So I thought I'd see if I could poach breakfast food ideas from someone
Nice inadvertant pun!

Originally Posted by snosrap5

I had a BLT this moring.
Oh YUMMMM!
That is my all time favorite food!

There's a restaurant around the corner that has the best food. They have an egg sandwich that has fried egg, fresh basil, gorgonzola cheese, lettuce, tomato, all on crusty, toasted sourdough.
Oh man! I could go for one now!

That doesn't help you, though. I'm a big cereal/oatmeal person, but if I have neither, or am milkless, Sometimes I'll make peanut butter and jelly toast.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like to have a variety of things for breakfast. This morning, I had homemade granola-ish stuff (oats, honey, pears, dried cranberries, and vanilla extract... they were supposed to be breakfast bars
but they wouldn't stick together! So they became... granola?) with yogurt.

Some days, I have cereal or oatmeal. Some days, it's just a piece of fruit or a granola bar and yogurt.

I also looooove smoothies, and have one for breakfast probably twice a week. Banana, chocolate soy milk, a scoop of peanut butter, and a dash of almond extract... yummmm. Or raspberries, milk/yogurt, spinach (trust me, you can't even taste it
) and vanilla. But you can really make them out of whatever you like... and they're so good! And easy!