Piki forces the door open when my mom is taking a bath.

piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone seen this? everytime my mom is in the bath my 10 yr old tabby Piki is extremely restless!!!! He meow's loudly and if the door is not totally closed he will push it open and walk into the washroom & walk right up to her and look VERY concerned, almost trying to warn her about something, and if we walk by to attempt to close the door he acts as if a guard-dog!!! What is going on??

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats will not tolerate a closed bathroom door.
They yowl, meow, scratch the door as if their very life depended on getting that door open.

I will never be alone in the bathroom again.

Bottom line...
most cats don't like closed doors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

My cats will not tolerate a closed bathroom door.
They yowl, meow, scratch the door as if their very life depended on getting that door open.

I will never be alone in the bathroom again.

Bottom line...
most cats don't like closed doors.
That is a very good point, but if any one of our other bedroom (doors) is closed, even his - where his bed is & he sleeps 99% of the time - he will not have such an immediate nor strong reaction, as soon as my mom is getting ready for her bath he is already on the prowl and defensive.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What do you think the issue with Piki is?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat Easy is just like this. (well not so much now) If I am taking a bath, and my arm is within reach to her she will try to grab my arm and try to pull me with her mouth. She barely meows at all ever, unless Im in the bath or shower. If I am taking a shower she paces and paces at the door.

She actually doesnt do it as often as she use to, she has gotten better. I have a key phrase with her when I first got her when she was nervous I would say in a soft voice "Its ok Easy" and I would repeat that over and over while I pet her. When she would try to pull me from the bathtub, I say the same thing "Its ok Easy" and she relaxes a bit.

I alway took it that was nervous with me in water and was trying to get me out of the water, she did the same exact thing to her kittens, when they were older, too, except she could pull them away and then she would chase them out of the bathroom.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
back when i only had Pixel & Mouse, i used to leave the bathroom door open when i bathed. they often came in to 'check on me' but then would leave.
i keep it closed now, because Java likes to tight-rope walk on the towel bars & she'll knock my towels onto the floor. she knows i can't discipline her if i'm in the tub. she won't try it other times.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat displays this behavior also. He's extremely agitated where showering or bathing are involved... I can't tell if he's upset or fascinated. He starts meowing and will bite me on the ankles if I try to get in. So I never let him in the bathroom when the shower is on or I'm drawing a bath.

I figure it's something primal about the water, the loud echoes of the water in a bathroom, or both.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another one here for yep, there's something about a human in the bathroom that makes the cats just have to get IN. I think that can diminish over time, though. Mine don't necessarily have to come in with me any more, but they do seem to need to accompany guests.

The first time I took a bath after adopting my oldest cat, who died this year, he came cautiously up to the tub, looked at the water, me, the water, me, the water -- and then looked at me like, "Why are you sitting in all that water? Are you crazy?"

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats won't tolerate a closed door anywhere in the house, they always break into the bathroom, I don't think I have gone to the bathroom alone since I had cats
We warn visitors to really make sure the door is shut

piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

My cat displays this behavior also. He's extremely agitated where showering or bathing are involved... I can't tell if he's upset or fascinated. He starts meowing and will bite me on the ankles if I try to get in. So I never let him in the bathroom when the shower is on or I'm drawing a bath.

I figure it's something primal about the water, the loud echoes of the water in a bathroom, or both.
Primal sounds like it! He literally reminds me of a lifeguard warning a person to get out of the water!!

piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

What do you think the issue with Piki is?
Primal ... perhaps... he is over protective and very watchful with my mom.