Thank you for not adopting our cats!

mirage_202

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Four months ago my boyfriend and I decided to adopt two cats from the SPCA.

After browsing the Vancouver adoption listings I came across two brothers who had been at the SPCA for over a year and a half! I couldn't possibly understand how these two adorable boys had yet to be adopted.

My questions were answered when I went to visit them the very next day. They were feral. They had been found in an abandoned house back when they were just babies.

People would come in, ask "Which ones have been here the longest?" They would be directed to them, only to be disregarded as a possible pet because they just weren't "cuddly" enough.

This seemed to happen all the time, people would come and go, and choose a different cat after only spending a couple minutes with them.

The minute my boyfriend and I played with these two - they LOVE pipecleaners - we were hooked. We knew that it was going to take a lot of time and patience, but we were willing to do that, because they were just so adorable and deserved a home just like all the other animals in the world.

So let me give an update on these cats that no one wanted because they just weren't cuddly.

Cat #1: He is without a doubt the biggest momma's boy you shall EVER meet! He follows me around like a little puppy to the point that I no longer get to pee alone. His favourite thing to do is wake me up at 5:30 in the morning by purring in my face and headbutting my forehead, complete with trying to lick my nose and eat my hair. He refuses to sleep at the end of the bed or in the crook of my legs, no no, his spot is right up in the curve of my chest when I'm sleeping on my side.

Cat #2: He's so much more vocal than his brother, he's always meowing at us and at his brother. After four months of patience, dedication and love he finally lets us pet him. The minute you start scratching him at the base of his tail he purrs so loud you think there's coffee percolating in the room. At first, when we even tried to approach him he would run. Now, he does the "butt lift," where he'll stretch his butt into the air - silently urging us to give him scratches.

So these "non-cuddly" cats that none of you wanted from the Vancouver SPCA, we thank you! Our furkids thank you!

Because nobody wanted them, we were the ones that became truly blessed with two of the best cats we could have ever asked for.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off - thank you for adopting them!!!!

I am always drawn to the long-term animals, as most everyone would look past them.

Congrats on having happy boys & a happy family.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Sounds like your boys got lucky after all -- even if it did take a while. I'm glad they have landed in your home. We'd love to see pictures -- we're greedy for pictures
-- and hope to see you around the forums lots.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for taking a chance on these two and the love and patience you've shown them.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"They" say (that mysterious group of people who always seem to have so much to say) that everything happens for a reason - I know this to be true as I would not have kept George if it wasn't for the way he acted each and every time a prospective kitten buyer would come to visit the kittens. He acted like you were pouring scalding water on him or something! He would growl, hiss, posture threateningly and in general just be really awful so no one ever chose him as their new pet baby. Oh but once they were gone, my Gorgeous Georgeous would revert to his oh-but-so-derned-annoying love bucket mode and couldn't be stopped from wrapping paws around my legs, purring loudly and swishing happy tail all across my feet.

So, it sounds to me like after a bit of a bumpy road start, these two little ones knew right where they were supposed to go ... home with you!

Congratulations on the new additions and continued best of luck with their progress!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh what a wonderful turn of events. They are so lucky to have been able to wait it out for you! What a set of cuties.
I am learning that cats can be so different once they get a chance of being outside of the shelter. I have a set of brothers too and they are so different from one another.
Welcome and I can't wait to keep hearing about them.

tallulah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is lovely to read they have a lovey home with you after so long, they both look gorgeous.

bernardthewt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great story, Mirage! Taylor & Kinney are lucky to have you.

15 years ago, I went to our local animal shelter in search of a cat. In the darkest bottom corner of the row of cages, a pair of luminous green eyes peered out. When I leaned down to peek inside the cage, the animal within emitted the most blood-curdling snarl I have ever heard.

The worker in the room came over and said, "That's a BAD cat in there! Evil!" He went on to describe how the cat bit the finger off of a pair of leather work gloves, then added, "He's getting put down this evening - some of these cats just won't tame."

My immediate response was, "I'll take him!" They must have asked me if I was really, truly sure I wanted that cat at least a dozen times, and then they wouldn't even let me be in the room when they took him out of the cage and wrestled him into my cat carrier. I walked out struggling to carry the box full of thrashing, yowling, beast wondering, "WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

On the way home, I wondered if they were certain that he didn't have rabies. I have never seen an animal spit, snarl, and shed as much! Arriving at home, I locked the doors, secured the fragile belongings, and opened the box as carefully and quickly as possible before taking a BIG step back!

Out stepped a mellow, well-mannered, beautiful black and silver tabby. He gave the room a quick appraisal before jumping on my lap with an appreciative head butt and purr. He was instantly at ease, talkative, and loving. Turns out, he was claustrophobic. As long as he wasn't shut in a tight space, he was a sweet and charming boy.

He was my best friend for 14 years, before passing away at age 19. I owe a wonderful relationship with the best cat I've ever known to that jaded worker at the animal shelter!

All I can say is, take chances on these cats! Sometimes, the cats that seem the hardest to love (at first) are the ones who need you the most.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You guys were so meant to be. I'm glad for you guys!

My cat LOVES pipecleaners too, lol. It's the only thing that'll get him to move. :p

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your story warms my heart. How lucky for you and these animals that you found each other.

Thank you for being there for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mirage_202

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is a GREAT story Bernard!! It just goes to show you that all they need is to be given a chance, good on you for adopting that guy - I'm sure you made the rest of his life as much of a joy as he made yours.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirage_202

That is a GREAT story Bernard!! It just goes to show you that all they need is to be given a chance, good on you for adopting that guy - I'm sure you made the rest of his life as much of a joy as he made yours.
WOW is that the truth!!