Behavior Issues

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have 3 cats. Our one little monster we have had for a little over a year now. He has many behavior issues.

1. For the longest time he was chewing on cords. We have put that thick black cord over most now, but he still likes to irritate us by chewing on them.

2. He just recently started going underneath the bed and pulling on the mesh covering that is on the box spring. We can't lock him out because our other cats will bang at the door all night. He is not declawed.

3. He constantly wants to go behind the entertainment center. We yell at him all the time and when we walk towards him, he runs. I think he thinks its a game.

My husband wants to get rid of him because he is so sick of him not listening. And then he gets mad at me because I'm yelling at the cat all the time.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

herbalheidi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awe, I'm so sorry. Sometimes it seems there is nothing you can do.

Have you tried something besides yelling at him? My mother-in-law had to resort to a small spray bottle of water. Just a light mist, to annoy him a little, so he doesn't think it is a game.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharper16

Our one little monster we have had for a little over a year now. He has many behavior issues.
I have one of those and it is not behavioral. He is hyperactive. If he is less than 3 years old, you have a rowdy teenager.

Yelling and chasing do not work for me but NO, hissing and sudden noises do. For cords, I've read there are products that deter pets from chewing on them.
If it's any consolation, cats do settle down after going through this crazy phase. My silly Go is starting to leave his devilish antics at last. Yours will too

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one like that, too. I'm always tell him no or to get out of something. He also "argues" when he's told no.

Believe or not, though, he does listen better then my other older cat. When I tell him no he at least listens instead of purposely misbehaving.
I don't mind. It's part of having cats, or any pet really. You take the good with the bad.

As for your husband - tell him there's plenty of habits he has that you don't like but you're not kicking him out the door for them.
I'm sure you know that there's a lot worse behavioral problems you could be dealing with.
Finish covering the other wires and get some bitter apple spray from petco, petsmart, or a petstore. Also give your cat more things to do. Toys, interative toys and more play, a cat tree by a window. When he gets bored he will, as I'm sure you've noticed, purposely do something bad to get attention - any attention. So, don't let him get bored if you can help it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess my husband got spoiled because all of the other cats that we have ever had have never had behavior issues like this.

I really hope he grows out of it and is just going through his teenage years. LOL!

I did think he was misbehaving because he wants more attention. I'll have to find some new toys for him.

Thanks.

rick68

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the #2 issue I put a fitted sheet over the bottom of the box springs to prevent Miles from scratching mine. On one set of springs I didn't realize how much he clawed the bottom til he clawed a hole in the mesh and climbed inside from time to time.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your kittie is bored and acting out ( also at 1 yr old they still behave like kittens, into everything and crazies). Maybe spend more time with him/her playing to get that energy out, I suggest a lazer light, it takes a few minutes for them to catch on but after that they run like CRAZY after that light-good for tireing them out.

Good luck, she will calm down a bit over time, she's still in the kitten mindset.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Sounds like your kittie is bored and acting out ( also at 1 yr old they still behave like kittens, into everything and crazies). Maybe spend more time with him/her playing to get that energy out, I suggest a lazer light, it takes a few minutes for them to catch on but after that they run like CRAZY after that light-good for tireing them out.

Good luck, she will calm down a bit over time, she's still in the kitten mindset.
"Da Boid" might be good, too. Or some catnip mice (if he's one of those cats who reacts to catnip), or some other cat toys (Get on Drs. Foster & Smith's website, or get yourself to some good local pet store.)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

"Da Boid" might be good, too. Or some catnip mice (if he's one of those cats who reacts to catnip), or some other cat toys (Get on Drs. Foster & Smith's website, or get yourself to some good local pet store.)
or the Cat Dancer... i got it down yesterday evening. Firefox had never seen it before [i'm a bad meowmy
]. you never saw such an excited kitty! i had her, Chip, Cable & Java batting like crazy! i just had to stand there!