Naval Infection

bonnyhop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took our 1 week old kitten to the vet after I suspected a naval infection and was relieved to find out that we had caught it just in time.He gave gave us something to give it orally and a anti-bacterial cream to put on it after giving her some kind of shot and getting out some of the puss.He said she had a 90% chance of survival because we were being so aggressive.
He weighed her and got her tempature.
Her weight was 6.6 ounces and her temp. was around 102 Fahrenheit which he said was normal.I was looking up this infection just to see if there was anymore I could do and according to all the sites I came across that mentioned it,a normal temperature for a kitten of 1 week is 95 - 99 Fahrenheit.
He made a point of saying that it's a good thing that the kitten didn't have a temperature because that would have meant that the infection had spread to the stomach.I am very concerned.Should I get a second opinion?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

My feeling on this is if you are asking if you should get a second opinion, it means you have doubts. Sometimes spending the extra money for a second opinon lets you sleep better and worry less.
OTOH, that's not a huge difference in temp from normal. if she's acting like she feels ok, she probably is. but i agree - if you'd feel better checking w/another vet, & can afford to do so, then go for it! good thing you noticed the problem when you did, before it got too severe.