The cure for lazy cats is...!

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bunnies!

Seriously. Put your cat on a harness with an extendable leash, have someone chase a bunny, and voila!

Toby ran for the first time in YEARS today! We had Trin on a leash and he was going free-style since we figured he'd kind of forgotten how to run.. Boy were we wrong! My SO chased a bunny toward the kitties to see their reaction (I thought they'd be scared) and Toby TOOK OFF after the bunny! It was the funniest thing I've EVER seen, the Tubby wobbling back and forth soooo fast!

I couldn't stop laughing; hopefully my neighbors don't sleep with their windows open, because it's 11 PM!

And the best part.. he was in the mood to chase things tonight too! After we brought them inside, he actually, for the first time in my recollection since he was a kitten, CHASED the feather toy! Toby! The kitty who refuses to play unless we whap him in the stomach with the stuff!

I am so excited!

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yaay! lol bless him. Mitzi enjoys pouncing and playing with my bunny, but I think she seems a bit scared of her, cuz if Buttons goes to sniff her she just runs!

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd be very careful of this. Cats are natural predators, and you wouldn't want to get their predatory instinct fixated on a fellow pet. In nature, felines will eat lapines.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that they have a pet bunny. If I read correctly, it was a wild bunny.

Funny story though. I bet it was giggle-worthy to see his chubby tummy jiggling while he ran!

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

I don't think that they have a pet bunny. If I read correctly, it was a wild bunny.

Funny story though. I bet it was giggle-worthy to see his chubby tummy jiggling while he ran!
My post wasn't directed so much at the OP as at the first response.

But yes, I'd guess that the cat in the OP has been reminded that he is a carnivorous predator (or predatory carnivore, whichever way you want to put it) and is trying to act like it.

herbalheidi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow - I would be afraid if my cat was chasing a bunny here in South Florida. As far as I know the only bunnies here are swamp hares - and if my cat chased one of those I would be afraid a gator would be too close for comfort.

Florida + nearby lake = Gator; which means my kitties don't get to go outside unless they're in a carrier.

I would love to see TJ chase something though. I don't know if he remembers how to move his legs that fast.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HerbalHeidi

Florida + nearby lake = Gator; which means my kitties don't get to go outside unless they're in a carrier.
Yikes! Glad I don't have to worry about those around here!

My boys love to chase bunnies too. We get tons of them round here, so we always have to watch when we take them out as they will take off after them. Good exercise.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine play chase with an abandoned kitty that I trapped for a friend and released into my yard, thinking he would stay if I fed him, but he found his own home. (neutered, vaccinated before I took him home)
Well, anyway Pepper ran around a tree that goes slightly into the woods, and came running out like her tail was on fire. Behind her, out came a deer. It was hilarious. She doesn't go back there any more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He needed the reminder I think! He's been so lazy! ^_^ Heehee it's so awesome.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

My post wasn't directed so much at the OP as at the first response.

But yes, I'd guess that the cat in the OP has been reminded that he is a carnivorous predator (or predatory carnivore, whichever way you want to put it) and is trying to act like it.
I'm presuming then that that was made at me
We make sure that Mitzi and the rabbit don't actually go too close to each other, and they are both on harnesses
We wouldn't let Mizti hurt her and believe me that rabbit stands no messin'!!

Anyway we don't let them do it anymore cuz they hate wearing the harnesses and Buttons has a large run on the lawn so Mitzi can watch from behind the fencing.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

I'm presuming then that that was made at me
We make sure that Mitzi and the rabbit don't actually go too close to each other, and they are both on harnesses
We wouldn't let Mizti hurt her and believe me that rabbit stands no messin'!!

Anyway we don't let them do it anymore cuz they hate wearing the harnesses and Buttons has a large run on the lawn so Mitzi can watch from behind the fencing.
I'm glad to hear that you took safety precautions. I have known incidents of people having pets that in nature would have been predator and prey, who were careless and then upset when nature took its course.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a pet rabbit once and Popsie hated her.
He didn't try to attack her or anything, just every time she would hop up to Popsie he'd run away and jump up on something so she couldn't get to him. He didn't even try to get to know the rabbit.