I have lived in my apartment since October 1996. In that time the only maintenance done inside my apartment has been the following:
1. Fix bathroom ceiling from leaking roof 5 years in a row. The irony of that is I live on the 7th floor and there is an apartment above me with the roof above them. That apartment was available when I was looking here, but I decided that roofs leak and that I would be better off taking the 7th floor and letting the 8th floor deal with any roof leaks. Unfortunately the drain from the roof empties above my bathroom, not above the bathroom above me, so they didn't have a leaking ceiling, I did. And they didn't fix the whole ceiling. They just repaired and painted where the leak was.
2. Fixed the bathroom ceiling 3 times due to the toilet in the apartment above me leaking due to a broken seal in the drain, which meant that their dirty toilet water was showering down to my ceiling.
3. Unplugged bathroom sink last year.
4. Unplugged kitchen sink ealier this year.
5. Fixed my oven door once.
6. Fixed 2 elements on my countertop range.
7. Tightened the knob on the pressure thing above my door so it didn't slam shut.
And that's it. My place as never been painted. There are huge bubbles of paint hanging from the top of the windows. The paint on the outside wall in my bedroom is all bubbled and if you touch it it all falls off. There is also a huge crack on the inside common wall in the bedroom. It's floor to ceiling. I have hardwood floors and after 12 years of walking on them, the varnish has worn off in places and the floors need to be refinished. Plus there are broken floor tiles in the bathroom that need to be replaced... infact the whole bathroom floor should be redone.
So far as maintenance in the common hallway on my floor. The only thing that has been done is that the carpet was professionally cleaned last year in July. That was the first time they have been cleaned since I moved in.
The exterior windows have never been washed. I used to pay some guy to come here and take out what windws he could and he would use a harness and a long pole with a squeegie and sit on the window ledge and wash the outside windows that way. It worked but I was freaked out that he might fall out of the window!!
The back parking lot had that black tar stuff put on it. But they didn't do a very good job because it all sunk. Now there are pot holes back there that would swallow up a semi truck!
There hasn't even been any landscaping done. The caretaker took it upon herself to plant some flowers and stuff, using their own money just so it looks nice.
They have fixed the roof so now my bathroom ceiling isn't leaking anymore.
But the majority of their upkeep goes to painting and redoing the floors of apartments before new people move in. Even if the floor doesn't need it, they refinish it anyway!!! So everyone who moves in gets a freshly painted walls and varnished floors.
When I asked, I was told it's not in the budget!!!
My rent goes up each year by 10 and 12 percent and it's not in the budget to paint my apartment and refinish my floors!
I did resign my lease because I can't afford to move right now. Moving takes money which I don't have. But I'm hoping that this is the last lease that I sign here.
When I moved in the building was nice. It was well kept and there were good tenants. But they have raised the prices so much and now rent to anyone, and quite often it's parents who have applied and gotten the apartment for their kids and it's the kids living in the place instead of the people who applied for the apartment and had been approved.