Cold Food: Dental issues?

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does feeding my kitten cold food from the fridge have any effect on its teeth?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't think it could. But if your cat had preexsisting dental problems - like an exposed nerve for any reason, there could be some cold sensitivity. Just like with humans.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dN-WaKE

Does feeding my kitten cold food from the fridge have any effect on its teeth?
Feeding cold food will not have any effect on your kitty's teeth. However some cats can't tolerate cold food so it's best to serve at room temperature. There are some cats like their food semi-frozen.

It's what you feed the cat that will cause dental issues.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rone

Feeding cold food will not have any effect on your kitty's teeth. However some cats can't tolerate cold food so it's best to serve at room temperature. There are some cats like their food semi-frozen.

It's what you feed the cat that will cause dental issues.
Hi ! My youngest cat (2.5yrs) has been having teeth / gum problems, 2 weeks ago he could not eat and when I saw his teeth they had plaque and a red line above his teeth, he got a dental work at the vet and he gave me a pill to give him daily (Stomadhex) for 10 days, yesterday when i checked his mouth again his gums had that red line again..he's been eating the same that the other cats at home (a couple of spoons of wet 3 times a day - different kinds - and dry food free-fed during the day - good quality and now for 2 months i found orijen in the market so i switched to it)
My other cats 17 yrs had dental cleaning once and the other 11 yrs never had one ! both have great teeth.
So my question is if he is eating the same as the others, how can food influence their teeth? maybe some cats have a genetical problem?
He started today an antibiotic called Stomorgyl (Stomorgyl 10 contains 234.4 mg spiramycin of standard potency (3,200 IU/mg), and 125 mg metronidazole per tablet.) and I hope this will be ok to end the problem.
Is there other thing available in the US/ Canada / Europe that I can suggest my vet to treat these cases ? here in Greece if the problem with the gums becomes chronical the vet recommends one round stomorgyl and then after 2 weeks a cortisone injection (i do not know more details about the name of this injection) which the cortisone he does not do it more often than every 3 months.
I used to have a cat with gum problems... so that's how we tried to keep him eating.