Wonder if anyone can explain this

foreverfuzzy127

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure where to put this and sorry if i put it in the wrong spot but what is a feral? i never heard of it before. Can anyone explain? Thank you

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Foreverfuzzy127

so wait what is the difference from a stray and a feral?
a stray is usually a pet cat that has become lost or been dumped. you can usually approach them & pet them.
ferals run from people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foreverfuzzy127

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

a stray is usually a pet cat that has become lost or been dumped. you can usually approach them & pet them.
ferals run from people.
but what if it hasnt been dumbed or previously owned and it was born in the streets but isn't affraid to be pet by people? is it still known as a feral ?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can pet it and it comes to you, I wouldn't consider it feral, but that is by my definition. Some of our barn cats are very socialized because we try to find the kittens and get them used to human contact at an early age. Those, we can pick up, treat with medicine if needed and take the the vet without too much hassle. Those are the "barn cats". Then, there are the ferals that were raised in the woods and you only see them when you put out the buffet in the morning and at night. They normally won't come near anyone and won't eat until everyone is gone. They are also the ones that fight the most because they have learned they have to fight for their food.

To me, the ferals are the ones you can't get near, although with enough time and patience you can gain their trust. Once they start feeling comfortable around me, I stop thinking of them as feral even though technically I guess they are. It just depends on your own definition I guess.

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are cats that are also semi-feral. Our kittens were that way. This often happens in more urban areas - they are just a bit more accustomed to people because they often feed in areas where people are (like from the waste bins). Our kittens were taught by their mother to essentially beg for food from our little row of cottages (obviously she had been getting food from my neighbors for a while), so they would sit outside our house (even come in our house) but wouldn't allow us to pet them or even get particularly close.