Well I thought I did good.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my first two individual clients last week and I thought the sessions went well. Today in my weekly meeting with my supervisor we did a roll play to go over how I started my session. I did my thing & he stopped me preety much right away and said that he didn't like it and proceeded to expain how he felt. I agree with certain asspects of his point, and he did give some feed back as to how to do it differntly; however, he also said that once I have undermined myself in that way it will be hard to gain those client's respect. Later on he also did tell me what I was doing right with some of my questioning. I just wish I would have known all this before the sessions. I guess I'm not sure where to take it from here. I guess I'm not looking for any advice, I just needed to get off my chest that I was feeling good about my first two clients, and now I'm not so sure.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
bah next time tell him "well maybe we should have these meetings BEFORE I give the actual one"..and then mumble "dummy
ok maybe skip the dummy part just in case but still

I'm sure your doing an awesome job and he should give you positive feedback not be negative about it!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if you think the appointments went well then thats great for you.
I'm sure you have to discover what works well for you as what works for one person may not work for others. Did these clients know it was your first time doing counseling and will you be meeting with them again. Time will be your guide to see of what information you are providing is helping them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i can't remember either
I just started my internship for my masters in counseling. These were my first two individual clients coming for one-on-one counseling. I've been doing some group counseling.

Originally Posted by GailC

Well if you think the appointments went well then thats great for you.
I'm sure you have to discover what works well for you as what works for one person may not work for others. Did these clients know it was your first time doing counseling and will you be meeting with them again. Time will be your guide to see of what information you are providing is helping them.
I will be meeting with both of them again this week. They both knew I was a student, that is how they are getting counseling for free. I plan to talk to another counselor tomorrow about her opinon because I have seen how sucsessful she is in getting adolecents to participate in her group. I guess one of the things I was taught was to be myself because clients won't open up to a counselor they think is being fake.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be too hard on yourself. Don't lose your confidence over this. Just use it as learning experience, constructive criticism at its finest. You are learning, and I bet you did well and helped those people more than you understand as your feelings have already told you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was another tuff supervison experience for me. My Supervisor is very knowledgeable and very good at sharing his knowledge. I just feel like he is expecting a very high level of counseling from me. The problem is I'm new to this and I am sometimes unsure of what I am doing.