Cat just started peeing everywhere...

killerqueen1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my cat since she was 7 weeks old...she is 9 months now. I got her while I was living at college, and now that I am home for the summer she is getting used to living in a big house, with my other family members and my dog. I have been home for almost a month now and she seemed to be adjusting well to the change. My dog is older and he doesn't really want anything to do with her though she tries to play with him sometimes...she used to be afraid of him but seems comfortable now. My family thinks she is cute and funny (never had a cat before) and all in all the situation was working out

Just recently (in the past week) she has been a problem. She has started peeing on all of our furniture! she has already ruined 3 couch cushions and my expensive mattress. She has also been very vocal..laying on the ground crying/meowing (not too loudly though) and looking at us like she is trying to talk to us. My family is getting very frustrated with her, and I don't blame them..this behavior is very unlike her. She never had litter box problems even when she was a baby!

I have not had her spayed yet and I thought that might have had something to do with it..she is about the age where she will be going into heat but she isnt really showing the signs of heat that I found when I looked it up on the web. She isnt doing the butt thing or spraying any thing..when she pees she is squatting like normal...and when she meows it isnt loud at all. I tried making an appointment at my dog's vet (her normal vet is back where I go to school) but I havent been able to contact anyone. I was wondering if anyone could clue me in on what might be wrong? Thanks

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would be willing to bet she is in heat. My sphynx don't show much signs of heat like described either but the loud meowing does sound like heat. She should also be checked for UTI by the vet while she is there for her spay to make sure that is not the problem. Good luck.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lele

I would be willing to bet she is in heat. My sphynx don't show much signs of heat like described either but the loud meowing does sound like heat. She should also be checked for UTI by the vet while she is there for her spay to make sure that is not the problem. Good luck.
i agree - either she's in heat, or she has a UTI. either can be fixed w/a vet visit... & even if it's a UTI, get her spayed, okay?
Welcome to TCS, btw!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

killerqueen1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses =)

I am trying to get her a vet appointment...I planned on getting her spayed anyway this summer because I did not have the money to do it when at school. I've got 2 jobs now and a pretty good source of income so I'll be able to get that taken care of.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Killerqueen1

Thanks for the responses =)

I am trying to get her a vet appointment...I planned on getting her spayed anyway this summer because I did not have the money to do it when at school. I've got 2 jobs now and a pretty good source of income so I'll be able to get that taken care of.
not sure where you are... this website has listings of low-cost spay/neuter clinics in the US: spay usa
i took my last one to the local clinic - price was $35, plus an extra $10 'cause she was in heat at the time. [they all charge more when they're in heat!]

killerqueen1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WOW....at my school the vet wanted to charge $300!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Killerqueen1

WOW....at my school the vet wanted to charge $300!
prices will vary from vet to vet - plus, location makes a difference. my regular vet wanted $120 for a spay [plus some extra if in heat or pregnant]. like i said - if you live in the US, it's worth checking the site for a location near you.

killerqueen1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just realized that she seems to only pee on our furniture when I'm not around...that couldn't be the reason right? I mean she's been alone before during the days when I was at class, but not in this house. All of the incidents have happened either when I was at work, or early in the morning when I'm still asleep (she doesn't sleep in my room because I'm a light sleeper and she wakes me up). Could it be that she misses me and is acting out because of the new situation? She has not had any instances at all while I was there.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
it could be behavioral... but you need to check on possible health issues, first.
if she's healthy [& spayed, of course] then you go to behavioral. i know cats of some members here are on prozac or amitriptyline for inappropriate peeing issues...