How much do you feed your cat a day?

hostyle420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a small bowl that i almost fill...a little bit bigger than a can of wet food.. he eats it within like 2-3 days but he keeps throwing up his food...i haven't changed anything in his diet he's always had the same food and he doesn't eat wet food just licks up the juice and leaves the rest to dry out and for me to throw away

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course it depends on the age of the cat, etc But pepper always have a bowl filed with dry food ( I would guess about a 3/4 cups worth) and we have been adding about 2-3oz a day of wet food every other day or so.. She is a kitten so I don't limit her dry food right now.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends on the age and activity level of your cat and the food you are feeding, but it does seem like your cat might benefit from a trip to the vet. Throwing up for no reason can be a sign of illness. Also, if you're saying he eats about a 5.5 oz can full of food every 3 days, that would be about 1/2 cup....which is not a lot by any means.

I have 2 4 1/2 month old kittens. They are free-fed, but I guesstimate that they eat between 1/2 and 1 cup of dry food each per day. They also get wet some days but eat a pretty negligible amount.

Questions to ask yourself:
- has the amount your cat has eaten changed?
- is he vomiting at random times, or just after he eats?
- has he lost/gained any weight?
- has his activity level changed?
- has his behaviour changed in any way?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
food consumption in my house has diminished w/the warm weather.
that said - i offer about 2 cups of dry per day - split into 5 bowls. they never eat all of it.
then the 3 wet eaters split a 6 ounce can [plus about a tablespoon of homemade] every evening. sometimes they eat it all, but most times they leave some. my wet eaters range in size - 8 pounds, 10 pounds & 16 pounds. dry only eaters are 13 pounds & 9 pounds.
HTH!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

It depends on the age and activity level of your cat and the food you are feeding, but it does seem like your cat might benefit from a trip to the vet. Throwing up for no reason can be a sign of illness. Also, if you're saying he eats about a 5.5 oz can full of food every 3 days, that would be about 1/2 cup....which is not a lot by any means.
I agree.

Originally Posted by Hostyle420

How much do you feed your cat a day?
My cats eat 1/2 cup wet food and about 1 1/2 cup dry food (free feed) every day.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Nabu 9 oz of wet per day. He doesn't always eat it all. He's not a big dry food fan, so eats mostly wet. When I cut him back to 2 feedings of 3 oz, he seemed like he was losing weight. So we've gone back to 9oz a day for him.

Stimpy gets 6 oz of canned food. He doesn't always eat it all either.

I also put out 1/8 cup dry food 2 times a day. They don't always eat it all. So if they haven't eaten it all I give them a smaller portion of dry. If they ate all canned, and didn't really touch their dry. I don't give them a refill. If it sits out for more than 24 hours (which is rare) I toss it out.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i have a small bowl that i almost fill...a little bit bigger than a can of wet food.. he eats it within like 2-3 days but he keeps throwing up his food...i haven't changed anything in his diet he's always had the same food and he doesn't eat wet food just licks up the juice and leaves the rest to dry out and for me to throw away
I feed my cats dry food 24/7. They always have food available to them. I weigh them every week and they maintain their weight perfectly. That's all they get and they have never had a health problem including fur balls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hostyle420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I feed my cats dry food 24/7. They always have food available to them. I weigh them every week and they maintain their weight perfectly. That's all they get and they have never had a health problem including fur balls.
i keep the bowl filled too...only dry food and he hasn't lost or gained weight at all...he does get fur balls though...and my cat is like..9 years old

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our cats are also free-fed dry and they prefer their dried food over the wet (especially now that it is summer). I do give them a wet meal a night- about a can split. Steve doesn't really like wet food that much - he will just have a nibble -but the other two love both.

hostyle420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah my cat is weird with food...it doesnt like awesome cat food like tuna or sardines or wet food..just drinks the juice and leaves the rest...my cats a weirdo

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys get about 1.75 oz wet and 1/2-2/3 cup dry each a day. They both weigh around 8.5 lbs.

I need to be more careful with my dry as the new cat seems to gorge himself on not only his dry but the other cats dry.

Leslie

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well due to his allergy my cat eats raw meat mixes. he usually eats 3 times a day that makes 2-2.5 cups of food per day, it depends on weather. he might eat only 1 cup on very hot days.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I free feed as my number of cats prevent me from inidividually feeding them! There are 4 feeding locations, there is always food available. And then then the kittens are free fed dry food, and I give them canned food once a day (As much as they want to eat). I don't have any fat or unhealthy cats.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

i have a small bowl that i almost fill...a little bit bigger than a can of wet food.. he eats it within like 2-3 days but he keeps throwing up his food
I'd bring him to a vet just to rule out any illness. Your kitty could be allergy to certain ingredient(s) in the dry food. If your kitty is constantly throwing up something is wrong.

Cats have certain preference when it comes to food, try add more water, warm it up a bit, chunks or pate style...etc. Every cat is different- have you tried other brands?

To answer your question- my cats eat 4 times a day, 2 lb of meat daily.

hostyle420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well i took him to a vet awhile ago cause he was sick..he had likea stone in his bladder but we got that out and now this cat wont leave me alone lol..always following me and sleeping next to me and the whole deal...but i asked the vet about what him throwing up all the time and he said he didnt even know...and well i dont have a couple hundred to go toa vet

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I changed to a better food due to a loose poop problem I have had. The store brand foods I put inline with fast food for people. You can find a better food with less fillers in them, less by-products. If the cat is not a big eater it should not cost as much. Try small amounts, don't buy a big amount. You might try some wet stuff. Maybe not fish flavor. Good luck!
K.

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Murray probably eats about 1 and a half cups of food a day - I have a 3/4-cup scooper that I use to fill up his bowl, and I fill it every time it gets low - usually a couple times in a 24-hour period.

With Simba, it is impossible to know how much he eats, since my mom puts different kinds of food in bowls all over the house, and he can sample whatever he wants. He also eats little nibbles of wet food and tuna here and there.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... this makes me wonder if I am feeding my cats incorrectly.

This is how I had learned how to feed my cats

In the AM at 7:30 am after I get my kids up, I give them fresh wather then I feed them 1/4 a cup in the AM if after an hour and a half or 2 whatever is left (usually barely any) I toss that bit out and put the bowls away.

In the evening after I put my kids to bed at 7:30 pm , I dump out the water, give them fresh water again, then I get the bowls out and give them 1/4 a cup of food again and again after and hour and a half or 2 whatever is left (usually barely any) I toss that bit out and put the bowls away.

It seems that most if not all that I read right free feed?

All my cats are of normal weight, Yuki, female 5-6 lb Siamese Mix, Max, Male 10lb Tabby, Horatio, Male10-11 lb ... Handsome Boy

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whether you free feed or not is a personal choice, I think, providing the cat is getting adequate food and not going too long without.

Hennessy is free fed dry which he usually only eats a bit of and gets one small can (the 3 oz) or half a large can (the 5.5 oz) of wet at night. He eats all the wet food most nights.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't free feed. Not possible with my greedy Jaffa. They both have 3 meals a day of wet food. They have approx 300g - about 10oz? - wet food each day (divided into 3 meals). They eat it all in one go so nothing to throw out or pick up.