socializing an abused cat into a new household

michellediebel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!

I have quite a few questions, and hope all of you with this type of experience can help me out! My fiance and I have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, and decided it was time to bring in another cat into our home as our last cat passed away last year.

Our local animal shelter had a ton of kittens as usual, however a beautiful persian caught my eye. She looked absolutely petrified and had her face against the bottom of the cage as she was too scared to look up. I asked the volunteer's about her, and apparently she was badly abused by her previous owner and then spent almost four months in a basement with no lights or windows. She was finally rescued by this shelter, however keeping her there was making her worse as it was very noisy and busy. We both felt so bad for this beautiful animal we decided to "foster her with intent to adopt". We definitely want to adopt her, however I want to be sure that she will feel safe enough with the dogs eventually. Our dogs are great and very well behaved... and just ignore cats, however I want to make sure she is comfortable with them.

I've read a lot on the internet so far, and know that this is DEFINITELY going to take time. So far we have cleared out our spare bedroom/computer room for her, and left an old futon in there so that she has 'hiding' space. She is ok with being pet however she is absolutely petrified, so I want to let her come to me first. She hides under the futon when I go in, so I speak softly and calmly to her, refill her food and water dish and clean her litter box. I'll put a few treats on the floor for her and leave. When I go back later to check on her the treats are gone, which I thought was a good sign.
The local pet store also had this "feline phermone" plug in, which is apparently used to help cats feel comfortable and more at ease with natural herb scents. It's sopposed to be used to help cats feel more comfortable in new environments. I bought it as I thought anything that could make her feel even a bit more comfortable would help!

We know this will take months, but we are totally willing to allow her to take her time on her own terms and eventually realize we are here to love her and never hurt her. I also thought it would be best to keep her separated from the dogs until we've gained her trust.

Any other information or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!! I want to make sure I'm on the right track, and doing everything possible to make this easier for her! Thank you so much!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking her in, the poor baby.
One thing you should do is always leave a nightlight or lamp on for her. I could imagine that she would have no idea if she was going back into the black hole again.
Spend lots of time in the room with her, reading aloud. A TV would also be good to block out the house sounds while still getting her accustomed to noise - start very low volume and gradually increase it to normal.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
what a wonderful person you must be!
i agree - if you have a laptop, go into 'her' room, sit on the floor & work/surf/whatever in there - ignoring her, for the most part, other than talking to her. reading aloud to her is good - you can read your email to her!
tv or radio both are good... talk radio, of course.
get a tshirt good & sweaty [both of you] & put them under her food/water dishes, so associates you w/good stuff.
if by the plug in you mean feliway, it's pretty good - has helped lots of cats. you also might want to give her rescue remedy or one of the other bach flower essences in her water to ease her emotional state... there are several of them. you can read about them here: original bach remedies

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Man, I'm with you in spirit! A "broken" cat can be heartbreaking.

If she ever had normal contact with humans, just being in the room with her, but not trying to touch her or anything, is about the best thing you can do. She needs to see that she is safe, but that you are there, too.

Don't be astonished when this results in her lying down on your laptop or crawling in your lap. When it comes, the breakthrough is often sudden.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michellediebel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all SO much!! It's so great to hear support that this is possible, and that I'm on the right track.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions or comments!
Thanks again!

Michelle

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Everyone has great advice here and I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really offer anymore. I really just wanted to thank you for taking in this poor little baby, sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s very lucky to have found you.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you for taking in this kitty!!!
Another thing you can do to make her more at ease is when you are sitting in there with her, well, act like a cat. If you know she is watching you while you are sitting on the floor, stop what you are doing and slowly get on all fours, imitate a cat and have a good stretch, yawn, flop onto your side and have a good roll around. Yawn some more, the whole time completly ignoring her. Then go back to whatever it was you were doing. You may feel a bit silly, but its very non-threatnig behavior to her (and feels prety good really if you have been sitting on the hard floor for a while!
)
Does she have a nice window she can look out? Consider putting a bird feeder outside of it so she can watch them come and go. Scatter catnip toys around. Make it as fun a place as possible for her to explore.
Good luck, and can't wait to read updates on her progress!!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What an angel in disguise you are
You've got some great advice and i'm sure with patience you can win this little girl over and show her what true love is all about

Please keep us updated?.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will come around once she sees that no one will hurt her. The above advice is great. Dabird cat toy is a good ice breaker. Toys have always worked for me. Interactive toys are even better.

michellediebel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys!!

I'm VERY happy I joined this group, as it has really helped me not get discouraged. I've never been through re-socializing an abused/abandoned animal before, so when I go into the room and I can hear her hiss from under the futon it really does deflate my hopes a bit. But then I walk out the door to see my dogs patiently waiting for me to cuddle them and I read more on this wonderful wonderful site, and feel better

I attempted the cat toy today... a long pole that I bought with a mouse on the end but it seemed to scare her more. She was definitely not interested. I think she doesn't really know what play is...

I bring in a little bit of wet food with me when I go in... just as a small treat. I laid on the floor for two hours yesterday and she wouldn't come near it, but as soon as I left the room I could hear her licking at it.

Thanks for your support and kind words... I really need it right now!! My two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels LOVE cats and I think wonder why they can't go in to see her, but they're very calm and patient when I'm in visiting with her. It's almost as if they know that she just needs time.

I'm just hoping that she will eventually want to come near us!

Michelle

michellediebel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PS: should I be leaving the futon in the room for her to hide under, or should I take it out so that she can see us better? She hides under it and will NOT come out from under it when we're lying on the floor reading to her, etc.

Just wondering what's the best thing to do!

Michelle

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by michellediebel

She will Michelle. It's going to take time, but just imagine how your going to feel when she does eventually come around
That's what i call a challenge what your doing, so hang in there because i have every bit of faith in you

I would leave the futon where it is because that's her safety zone

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Michelle,
Thank you for giving this broken spirit the chance to live a good life...

One thought....
She knows that the dogs are in the house.
If you haven't use scent mingling yet...
it might help.
Below is a link to the concept from one of TCS guest behavior experts.
It is about mingling cat scents but I think that it would apply to your situation too.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131270

There is also a tip on using vanilla.
Pheromones can help too....
Some find that the Feliway defuser is useful other do not notice a difference in behavior.

I really admire you for opening your heart and home to this lost sweetie pie. As you said, this will take time and patience.
Sending vibes that this lost kitty learns to trust.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Pearl was abused by her previous owner, and lived the better part of 7 years living mostly in the closet or under the bed. She would come out and let us pet her after a few months, but would not interact with the other cats. I felt so bad for her, I almost rehomed her to be an only cat, but could not bring myself to uproot her again. She now sleeps in the dining room and plays with the other cats. She even got the courage to swat Scooter across his head for trying to take her food.

mirage_202

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good on you for adopting her! I probably would have done the same thing. It still makes me sick to my stomach knowing that there are people out there who mistreat animals - this little girl showing proof that it does affect them mentally just as if you were to abuse a child.

It is going to take time, patience and love for her to come out of her shell for you. I adopted two feral cats four months ago - one is a big momma's boy and the other is just starting to allow us to pet him.

By talking soothingly to the cat and allowing her to come to you I feel you're on the right track, never try to force the kitty.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I would leave the futon where it is because that's her safety zone
just give her the time she needs to learn that you are people she can trust.
when i got Chip, he would snap at me if i even attempted to touch him past his shoulders. he'd obviously been mistreated [perhaps pulled by his tail?]. now, altho he still vocally protests at times, i can stroke him from head to tail, curving my hand around his tail to stroke it - something that could've never happened 2 years ago!
he was nowhere near as bad off as your girl - he enjoyed interacting w/me, just was very leery of being touched in 'certain' areas.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing a fantastic job!
She didn't go for the toy which means she is pretty traumatized. Most cats will at least show interest. She just needs some time to rest and heal. Her mental wounds run deep.
One day when you least expect it she will understand that you are not going to hurt her again. Poor kitty. I wish I could find her owners and give them like treatment. What kind of people do these things?

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree to leave the futon there, she needs a spot where she can hide and feel safe. Her hissing is actualy a good sign, belive it or not. You said when you first got her and tried to pet her she allowed it but seemed terrified. She was no doubt just too afraid of being hurt to defend herself, the fact that she is hissing means a little bit of that fear is starting to go away. Its not supprising she did not come out for the food while you were in there, but eventualy as her courage grows she will. She will begin to learn you are the provider of the tasty stuff, and will not hurt her, so don't be discouraged, you are doing all the right things! I know you just want to pick her up and hug her and tell her she is safe now and make all the hurt go away, but you are doing a great job, its just going to take time.
Keep us updated!

9lives

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It so saddens and angers me to know that there are people like this out there! On the other hand I love knowing that there are people like you out there! This story truly touched my heart. This little girl deserves to know what it feels like to be loved and you will be that person to show her!

Patience, patience and more patience....she will come around. Emotional wounds are tough to beat...for any of us! God Bless you!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Michelle, thank you for helping out this misunderstood critter.

Originally Posted by michellediebel

Hi guys!!

I'm VERY happy I joined this group, as it has really helped me not get discouraged. I've never been through re-socializing an abused/abandoned animal before, so when I go into the room and I can hear her hiss from under the futon it really does deflate my hopes a bit. But then I walk out the door to see my dogs patiently waiting for me to cuddle them and I read more on this wonderful wonderful site, and feel better

I attempted the cat toy today... a long pole that I bought with a mouse on the end but it seemed to scare her more. She was definitely not interested. I think she doesn't really know what play is...

This is pretty common with stray cats. Unless you can introduce something she is familar with from outside; small pine cones, pebbles, even a leafy tree branch (non toxic of course) she is still on her guard and will not play for awhile.

The hissing is also normal, to make her feel more at ease, drape a blanket over the futon so the edge hangs down just about an inch from the floor. This way, she can see your feet but she will know you can't see her and her hissing will stop soon.

I bring in a little bit of wet food with me when I go in... just as a small treat. I laid on the floor for two hours yesterday and she wouldn't come near it, but as soon as I left the room I could hear her licking at it.

This is a good trick I found several years ago, it merges your smell with food smells and helps her to trust you quicker.

Thanks for your support and kind words... I really need it right now!! My two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels LOVE cats and I think wonder why they can't go in to see her, but they're very calm and patient when I'm in visiting with her. It's almost as if they know that she just needs time.

I would keep a special set of clothes just to wear in the room where she is that doesn't smell like your dogs. THEY may love cats, but she knows to fear dogs and when you come in wearing their scent, it just causes her to retreat farther from you. Keep the clothes and slippers or extra shoes in a sealed plastic bag. Let her get used to YOUR smell first and the other smells will follow. Her trust meter is really low.

I work consistently with abused cats and kittens. If you need some advice or a shoulder you can drop me a PM-

Michelle