This is what I should look for, right?

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
K so tomorrow after class I'm going to go look at this cat (10-11 months old) I've been told is just what I'm looking for. As this is basicly a shelter (with foster homes) I know there are a few things I should check for. I'm making a list, and I was hoping someone could look over it and tell me if I'm missing anything....

make sure the gums are pink and have no sores
Check the teeth and make sure they aren't broken
check inside the ears for any pus or black tar-like stuff
make sure the eyes are bright and clear
Make sure he wants to "play" (wiggle my fingers and see if he runs away or bats at them)
Watch how he reacts to the other cats
See if he will let me pet, or hold him, and not hide in the corner

Am I missing anything? I know it might seem like over kill, but when I got Oliver from a shelter I thought he was a sweet lapcat who was 6 months old and he turned out being 2 years old and was sick. Once he got better he turned for sweet and snuggly lap cat to making our walls into a racetrack
Sweet for him and it worked out well, but not good for what I'm looking for now. I just want a cat who is o.k. being inside and won't eat my books and paper while I'm in class..

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good Checklist!

Just also gently feel his body making sure there he has no odd bumps or sores.

The really important thing is to see how the cat reacts to you. I have heard it said that it's really not us who picks the cat, but the cat who picks us. So give the cat a chance to approach you and smell you. As you said, see if it will let you hold him. If possible spend at least 30 minutes with him to see how he reacts towards you. Take your time. You'll know if he likes you <grins>.

Let us know how it turned out!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also encourage someone thinking of adopting a cat to take it into our "play room" (which is just a large restroom, but with a closed door) and interact with the cat a little. Some that seem friendly and cuddly in their cage will surprise you and have nothing to do with you in the larger situation. Some will immediately climb into your lap. Some will only want to hide, and some will dash madly around the room, playing with everything but refusing to be picked up.

You should also ask the workers what they know about the cat. I tell people honestly what I know, although I point out to them I only have a few minutes of contact with each one. Still, they'll know which ones like to bounce off the walls, and which ones are willing to sit quietly. They MAY also know which ones have a problem with over-stimulation biting, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, this is a big help, I printed up one of the links you gave me abby, thanks again. I went looking today and the one I thought was right I' going to end up holding off on. Poor this has his ear cut and while he was friendly, he keeps to keep scratching his ear and his coat seemed rather dirty for a indoor cat....I'm not sure if I should be worried about that or not. So I'm going to go check the rest of the shelters tomorrow and possibly go back and get him, he is a beautiful one

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
You need to also go with your heart. My Abby came to me with worms, a URI, fleas, allergies, conjunctivitis, ear mites, etc. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Abbysmom is right, go with your heart. the minute i saw Monster i knew it was meant to be, he had stolen my heart. he also came to me with conjunctivitis & a URI, & i knew he was sick, but i took him home anyway. however, if this is a cat coming from a shelter, it should NOT be sick. i got Monster off the street when he was a baby. good luck on finding the right kitty for you!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

Thanks guys, this is a big help, I printed up one of the links you gave me abby, thanks again. I went looking today and the one I thought was right I' going to end up holding off on. Poor this has his ear cut and while he was friendly, he keeps to keep scratching his ear and his coat seemed rather dirty for a indoor cat....I'm not sure if I should be worried about that or not. So I'm going to go check the rest of the shelters tomorrow and possibly go back and get him, he is a beautiful one
Hi! Yes his coat is going to be dirty from being in the shelter. How long has he been there?

He could have ear mites, which I don't think is a biggie to get taken care of

As everyone has suggested try to spend time with the cat to see how he reacts to you. Also if the cat does have some serious health problems, you should keep your budget in mind to make sure you can afford to have him treated, etc.

Has he been declawed? Cats who have been declawed have the potential for some serious behavioral problems. Something to keep in mind.

Just some thoughts and keep us posted.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

Hi! Yes his coat is going to be dirty from being in the shelter. How long has he been there?

He could have ear mites, which I don't think is a biggie to get taken care of

As everyone has suggested try to spend time with the cat to see how he reacts to you. Also if the cat does have some serious health problems, you should keep your budget in mind to make sure you can afford to have him treated, etc.

Has he been declawed? Cats who have been declawed have the potential for some serious behavioral problems. Something to keep in mind.

Just some thoughts and keep us posted.
Thank you. I did never up sending about half an hour with him, which is another reason I decided to look around (yes I was being a tab bit selfish) he kept wondering off. I couldn't figure out if he was just being....causal? or if he simply wasn't that interested in me (its not just what I want after all, he should want to be mine).

This one comes from a place called "Angels for Animals". I thought this was the place my friend works at, but it turned out it was just one she had heard of. This was a place that was run (as far as I could tell) by one 70 year old woman. I have rather mixed feelings about this place. On one hand she was very sweet to have saved so many animals (my guess would be about 15 cats? maybe a few less, and around 10 dogs). But well franky this place was dump. It had two broken down cars in the front year, a few broken chairs and the whole place was overgrown with weeds. We got the feeling she was much more into the dogs then the cats, but was still doing right by them.

It's sweet, but As you were saying, I just don't have the money to help a cat get back form something big. I stopped by at the pet shop and picked up a few things I would need. (a new catbox so he will get used to having his own, even though our two now share one, a toy, a scratching post that hangs on the door and a small this of catnip to put on the post) And now my budget is down to no more then $70, though I would rather just spend $50. I have everything else (food, little, ect)

Anyways, sorry for the babbling..

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
have you checked on Petfinder? that's how i found Chip. many different shelters will post there, w/a range of shelter fees, as well.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

have you checked on Petfinder? that's how i found Chip. many different shelters will post there, w/a range of shelter fees, as well.
thats a good idea. You know I'm rather surprised at how much the shelters vary. The one closest to me (a small town) is $10 to adopt a cat, while the one in the "big town" is $60 for a male and $80 for a female, that just blew my mind....

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

thats a good idea. You know I'm rather surprised at how much the shelters vary. The one closest to me (a small town) is $10 to adopt a cat, while the one in the "big town" is $60 for a male and $80 for a female, that just blew my mind....
locally - Denton [i think] wants $95. Lake Dallas, where i got Chip, only asked for $10.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

locally - Denton [i think] wants $95. Lake Dallas, where i got Chip, only asked for $10.
any idea why it's so different? its only like 45 mins away from the small town...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

any idea why it's so different? its only like 45 mins away from the small town...
nope. i drove about an hour both ways, instead of 20 minutes both ways, to get Chip... 'course, this was a bit over 2 years ago - gas was cheaper, then!
only thing i can think of, is that some shelters just don't get the traffic, so their prices are lower.
to be fair, Denton's price included several things that Lake Dallas's did not, lke a microchip & 1 month's worth of pet insurance. but since i didn't care about/need those things, & somehow fell in love w/my boy over the internet, i picked Lake Dallas.
just checked Petfinder using my zip - got prices for an adult male ranging from $10 [Little Elm] to $125 for Roanoke... Roanoke is a growing area, lots of upscale homes nearby. Little Elm is growing, but is much further from the DFW metroplex - so that may be the difference...

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

You need to also go with your heart. My Abby came to me with worms, a URI, fleas, allergies, conjunctivitis, ear mites, etc. I wouldn't trade her for the world.
I agree with this statement! Go with your heart

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys. I found my Kitty, if I can figure out how I'll post a picture. He is just a cutie. The lady who was working at the shelter said she believes he is half Russian Blue and half Siamese. mine is pure gray, while his sister looked more siamese. He's between 4 and 5 months. I started him on a collar (first time I've put a collar on a cat in ages) and he keeps scratching at it. I hope it's o.k....I still haven't thought of a name yet, I want it to be something special...

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Othie, Congrats! I can't wait to see the pictures. We waited on the collars until they were three months old and it was much better. Harper kept trying to grab it and play with it.

Plano wants 50, Frisco Humane Society is over a 100 through Petsmart, and Richardson wants 3 for a kitten or puppy under 6 mo, 15 for the older ones. Neither Plano nor Richardson provide any testing, vaccinations or spaying/neutering - you sign a contract to provide it.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you found your kitty.
All I ever looked for was that they were already fixed--I was a college student and couldn't afford what they charge for neuters/spays around here. My sister ended up taking her kittens to my Mom's vet (1 1/2 hours from my sister's house in college) because she had the same problem with spay/neuter prices.