Tiniest adult stray cat I've ever seen.

foreverfuzzy127

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For awhile now I have been taking care of this stray kitty that comes by EVERDAY and stays around for a half a day. He was born in the streets and the odd thing is he is way over a year old and he has not grown he is still the size of a kitten. he is really cute and I want him but he seems like an odd cat.
where is the rest of him?

his size makes him really cute and he is well fed but I wonder if his tiny size means he has something? I have seen his breed many times before and I know that they aren't suppose to be as small as he is. I want him but I don't want something that might put me in a hole. maybe he is just a dwarf
I don't know but he is a strange stray cat.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Smokey was that way. She looked like a 6 months old Kitten but she was a feral we caught and kept. She died at age 11. Alot of times they do have problems when they are small like that.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take the cat to the vet, have him neutered and checked out by the vet. You can just release him back into the neighborhood if, for some health or other reason, you decide you can't become financially responsible for him. You can make the decision after being informed about the cat's condition by a vet! A neuter really doesn't cost much money, and even if you don't adopt him, you'll have done a good thing for the feline community he lives in.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't know unless you try. If you are attached to the little guy give him a home! You may have found a wonderful friend

I know he would probably love to have a nice home with somebody to love and care for him, and he would give you lots of love in return!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Foreverfuzzy127

For awhile now I have been taking care of this stray kitty that comes by EVERDAY and stays around for a half a day. He was born in the streets and the odd thing is he is way over a year old and he has not grown he is still the size of a kitten. he is really cute and I want him but he seems like an odd cat.
where is the rest of him?

his size makes him really cute and he is well fed but I wonder if his tiny size means he has something? I have seen his breed many times before and I know that they aren't suppose to be as small as he is. I want him but I don't want something that might put me in a hole. maybe he is just a dwarf
I don't know but he is a strange stray cat.
What do you think his breed is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foreverfuzzy127

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I saw that he wasn't growing it sorta reminded me of those tea cup dogs (I think that is what you call them). They have alot of health problems but I will get him checked

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foreverfuzzy127

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

What do you think his breed is?
I don't know the name of cat breeds but he is black and white and really fluffy like long hair. I've seen the same color and fluff before on TV.

trixshar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a small female from a shelter years ago. I wanted a kitten because I had a huge dog (but needed a cat, because we had mice.) They passed off this little cat as a kitten, but the vet told me she was more than twice as old as they said.
But we loved the little girl and kept her. All her life, people thought she ws a kitten, and she acted that way until her last year. It was heart-breaking to lose her at 17 1/2, but she was never really sick with anything for her first 16 years, just little.

Now I have a variety of sized cats - none as tiny as my dear departed girl, but one who weighs nothing (all fluff) and another who has always refused to grow, though she is a sturdy little girl. One of the guys, who is a good size, has a feral mother outside half his size, who has survived out there for at least 3 years.

Go by your vet, but if this little cat is basically healthy, it would be good to get the little creature off the streets and into a protected environment.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought my Lucia was a kitten barely a year old but she is 2. She is just tiny. Maybe 7 pounds not pregnant. Maybe. Some cats are small but maybe he is just extra small and healthy.

thbtbt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So glad to find this thread. The stray I've rescued recently is super tiny. I had thought she was 6-7 months old but after I caught her, the vet told me she was at least 1-2 years old and weighing a little under 5 pounds!! I found that hard to believe, but after reading this forum, I guess it's not unusual. I don't think it is a particular breed, just the result of malnutrition, early pregnancy, or simply being the runt of a litter. It is great to read that most live a full life with little issue, and it is also pretty cool that they remain tiny... not that I prefer tiny, but after having 3 enormous cats (not fat, but just huge bone structures weighing 15-17 pounds average - like little panthers), having a teenie cat is a neat change.

I think you shouldn't worry so much about the size as much as if he's protected from animals, elements, and starvation. Maybe the only thing to consider is trying to trap him and get him fixed and vaccinated, if you haven't already, just so he's not so vulnerable to disease. Call around at your local animal rescue organizations and you might be able to find a place which will help you with the initial vet costs. You can just trap him, get him checked up, and release him. OR you can work with a local rescue organization to help him find a new home if you really want to get him off the street but worry about expenses.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad to find this thread. The stray I've rescued recently is super tiny. I had thought she was 6-7 months old but after I caught her, the vet told me she was at least 1-2 years old and weighing a little under 5 pounds!! I found that hard to believe, but after reading this forum, I guess it's not unusual. I don't think it is a particular breed, just the result of malnutrition, early pregnancy, or simply being the runt of a litter. It is great to read that most live a full life with little issue, and it is also pretty cool that they remain tiny... not that I prefer tiny, but after having 3 enormous cats (not fat, but just huge bone structures weighing 15-17 pounds average - like little panthers), having a teenie cat is a neat change.

I think you shouldn't worry so much about the size as much as if he's protected from animals, elements, and starvation. Maybe the only thing to consider is trying to trap him and get him fixed and vaccinated, if you haven't already, just so he's not so vulnerable to disease. Call around at your local animal rescue organizations and you might be able to find a place which will help you with the initial vet costs. You can just trap him, get him checked up, and release him. OR you can work with a local rescue organization to help him find a new home if you really want to get him off the street but worry about expenses.
Welcome to TCS, thbtbt :D. The thread you replied to is four years old! It is alright, happens all the time. We are happy you found our site and hope you enjoy your time here on the forums. Please feel free to start a new thread anywhere on the forums and feel free to introduce yourself and your kitties in the New Cat on the Block Forum http://www.thecatsite.com/f/20/new-cats-on-the-block !!!!! ;)

Last edited:

thbtbt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Doh! Thanks. I'll pay attention next time - gotta watch that search function

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, you can't win.  Some forums, if you ask a question, will automatically ask if you did a search first to find out if the problem has already been discussed.  Others, like this one (I'm happy to say), are perfectly willing, even happy to discuss each new question, even if we've heard it 20 times already. 

Have you read "Homer's Odyssey," the book about the blind black cat?  Even today, he only weighs about 3 pounds.

We have a foster who is old enough to have had kittens before, and she's only about 5 pounds.

thbtbt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cool. Good to know there are plenty of teenie kitties out there. Thanks!

cats2you

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ditto! Also very glad to find a forum about tiny kittens/cats and confirmation that they are really out there. We are not the only ones who have one tiny little girl. Currently we have just this past week formally rescued -- rather than just continue to provide food/water -- 3 feral kittens of a litter of 7 (4 average/3 miniatures) after their four siblings and mom moved on out of our yard where they had been living since birth. At 13-14 weeks the biggest one is average at 3.5 lbs. The 2nd, who was one of the miniatures, had an astounding growth spurt over the last month and is now nearly as big as her brother at 2.7 pounds. The third, who was the smallest of all, has doubled in size, currently about the size of a 4 week old kitten, tipping the scales at a tiny 1.5 lbs. Our vet was shocked, initially disbelieving that she could possibly be 14 weeks, convinced I was somehow mistaken. I wasn't (how could I be when they've been around since birth?).  Upon exam of the kitten's  teeth however the vet had to agree she is in fact 13-14 weeks, and is just very very small. She is also very healthy -- something else our vet found shocking -- has a great appetite, loves her water, and is very active and friendly. While our vet remains cautious, we are optimistic that our little girl as well as her much bigger brother and sister will continue to thrive growing up happy and healthy regardless of their size.