Huge pregnant cat--any help???

clueless

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hey everybody! Yeah as you can prolly tell im new here! It looks like an amazing site
And I definetely need help lol

Okay, so......
We have this outside cat named "Mommy cat" Lol You'll be able to tell why....
Anyways, she is fairly young..maybe 1-2 years old and has already had 2 litters. The first litter was last Summer and they all grew up to be healthy cats and all found homes (there were about 4) She then had another litter this past Winter and they all sadly died due to the cold and another huge animal kinda ate some....so im not sure how many there originally were :*(

Now shes pregnant again! And shes a pretty small cat. So this time I brought her into our house and I set her up a litter box, a bed to give birth in with lots of towels, and some food and water. I brought her in because I feel if she's monitered they will be more safe and no other huge animals will be able to harm them...

I just brought her in today but weve noticed that shes been pregnant for weeks now....She is pretty huge. She has been breathing fast and you can feel the babies kick and even see them kick from kindof far away. So I think she's close. Im just not sure HOW close exactly....

So here are some pictures I just took today.....Can anyone predict how long until she will have them?? Is there anything I should do differently?? Anything I should expect??

Thanks everybody and I hope you can help me!!
-Jade

http://usera.imagecave.com/jade___ellen/DSC00403.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/jade___ellen/DSC00404.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/jade___ellen/DSC00405.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/jade___ellen/DSC00408.JPG
in comparison to my hand...

http://usera.imagecave.com/jade___ellen/DSC00406.JPG
aint she cute???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clueless

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Oh geeze! Lol any other advice about what I should do now? She doesnt really seem like shes about to have them....She just seems really relaxed and her breathing isnt as fast as it was....do you think it was some kind of contraction or something?

clueless

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Well right now her breathing has went up and the babies are kicking everywhere........

Any help????

clueless

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hmmm well no...her heavy breathing goes on and off....and sometimes she movies kindof wierd...like she's uncomfortable.

I just have this feeling sometime tonight she may deliver...

clueless

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Haha yeah I have a crate.....i think it may be too small though :/ And yes we have another black adult male cat, Lucky, but he is locked out of here. I have Mommy Cat here in my bedroom...with the door closed so she doesn't go hide somewhere and we can't find her with her kittens.

I think once the kittens are a little older Im gonna have to put them all back outside with her...

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wondering why are you continually letting your cat get pregnant? Please, please, please get her spayed when she weans this litter...And please don't put those poor kittens outside that is a death sentance. She does sound like she is getting close.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please dont put Mum back outside unless she has been spayed, it isn't good for her health to have all these litters, and if you put the babies outside with her as well, you are just starting off a feral colony who will continue to breed, so please try and find a shelter space or homes for them where they will be neutered.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
you need to spay/neuter all of them before putting them back out, tho.
if she's already had a couple of litters, she probably knows what to do. just make her a nice box [cardboard is ok] w/some newspaper at the bottom, & some old towels on top of the newspaper.
it's fine if she has to jump in/out of the box - that way the kittens won't be able to get out. make sure she has easy access to a litterbox.
oh, & here's an article: pregnancy & delivery in cats

clueless

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Well the neighbors may get her fixed after this litter.....I dont know I think im one of the only people that care for her
Lol and i dont have a job so I cant get her fixed! Yeah but it would definetely be a good idea to do that.....I feel bad for my baby =[

So as for now shes staying in my room and i put a bunch of towels in a corner for her...she has a litter box, food and water and shes just been laying down A LOT today and every once in a while having some wierd contraction things i think....I think the times coming close and im SUPER excited!!

Does anyone else have any suggestions?? They would be GREATLY appreciated

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't help you with the birthing process, but I would suggest rather than putting her outside with her kittens, only for them all to get pregnant, or die, that you take them all to an animal shelter where they will be spayed/neutered and hopefully find a forever home where they can all be indoor cats.

Two cats and their offspring are theoretically capable of producing 80-million cats in 10 years!!!

The American Humane Association says about 2.8 kittens result from every romantic liaison between two feral cats. With two litters born each year, and the new cats having kittens of their own, the numbers increase exponentially. That's 12 kitties in one year, then 66, then 382. By the 10th year, there are 80,399,780 cats, all descended from those two efficient reproducers.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you cannot find homes for them or afford to get the momma fixed, the nicest and most humane thing to do would be to take her and her babies to your local shelter where they will be spayed/neutered and given to loving homes.

asmileforonlyu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I think she's gotten the point on needing to get the cat spayed, and not to put them back outside.

Now on to the labor, keep us updated on the babies!!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you arent scared away by some of the posts. I'm sure everyone means well. A lot of people join this site because they had a pregnant cat, then later learn the importance of alterations and spay their girls.

Anyway, good luck with your impending litter. As someone else mentioned, setting up a birthing box is a good idea, perhaps several different ones. Whenever I bring in a foster I offer her a covered box, an open top box, and her cage, all furnished with old sheets.

I also recommend keeping her confined to one room and making sure she cant get into any tight unsafe places, like in your closet up on a shelf, or behind your refrigerator.

If you plan on being present for the birth, you may want to gather some supplies, like scissors and thread for cutting any cords should the need arise, or towels and rags for cleaning off the kittens. There are threads and websites devoted to the birthing process itself, TCS is a plethora of information and support.

Again, good luck with your girl, keep us posted.

clueless

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Haha no you guys didnt scare me away....I was just looking after my babay

Yeah I will definetely try to get all the kittens homes....and if I cant find them homes then Ill try to bring them to a shelter....

Well it turns out my mom didnt want Mommy Cat in the house =/ Shes not too fond of cats....so I begged her to atleast let the cat stay in our basement. And she said Yes. So thats where she is now...in the basement. Better than being outside.

Well our basement is pretty small....and its not cold either. So I set her up a litter box, food and water, a big basket with old sheets in it, and another area to have her babies. So I think this will work out good.....

One question tho! If I AM present for the birth...which ill try to be.....and i DO have to cut some cords....will it hurt the baby?? Like any specific place I should cut it??

Thank you guys SO MUCH Your being a great help
-Jade

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she has had litters before,I highly doubt you will have to cut any cords! Just leave her alone while she is giving birth and let her do her thing. A lot of the time stray cats end up doing a worse job delivering if a human is present.

And please, please look for a shelter to take her NOW, so that her and her kittens will never reproduce!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
did you read the article i linked? it tells you what you need, what to expect, etc.
you know she might choose to have the babies in the basket, btw...