New adoption and older cat not getting along so well

phuz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, long time cat lover/owner, first time cat-forum poster.

We have a 11-year old tiger, and she's quite the territorial lady. She only shows affection to my girlfriend and I, but will hiss and swat at strangers. Back in February, we adopted a 8-month old tiger (she's about 1 year old now). She is such a friendly and energetic little girl, but she is afraid of the older cat, because she will get chased and cornered by the older cat. They don't have all-out fights, but there is a lot of yelling and hissing when it happens. The littler boxes are in the basement and sometimes the older cat will sit in the middle of the living room, and the younger one is afraid to go around her. 2 weeks ago, she went to the bathroom in our bedroom closet. Luckily (well, not so much) it was on my gym bag and not the carpet. Today, I came home to a mess on the kitchen floor, and I can only speculate that the older cat had her cornered and wouldn't let her walk by.

I need some real solid advice for how to break this habit. I am thinking about getting a bitter-apple spray, and spraying the mouth of the older one everytime she chases the younger one around. She sometimes gets nasty with us when the younger cat is around, and has already bit my girlfriend in the hand a few times.

At this point, I don't even care if they get along, but I just want to get the older one to leave the younger one alone, so she's not scared to walk by her to eat / drink / litter box.

It's been 4 months now and I'm getting a little frustrated.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, first of all, you need at least one more litter box that the younger cat can't be kept away from.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i'd add another box [not in the basement] so she can get to one when she needs to. after taking her to the vet in order to rule out a possible UTI, that is!
welcome to TCS! we have a 'litterbox problems' expert forum right now - here's the link: litterbox forum
post there, too!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't spray bitter apple in the mouth of the older cat - it will get you nowhere but to have 2 pissed cats.

The younger one can't get to the box. You need to add another upstairs where she can have access to it without being cornered.

The older cat is probably unhappy, because you brought a newcomer into "her" turf. Have you tried Feliway or Rescue Remedy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phuz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Please don't spray bitter apple in the mouth of the older cat - it will get you nowhere but to have 2 pissed cats.

The younger one can't get to the box. You need to add another upstairs where she can have access to it without being cornered.

The older cat is probably unhappy, because you brought a newcomer into "her" turf. Have you tried Feliway or Rescue Remedy?
Actually, I just read about Feliway an hour ago, but the website doesn't have any purchasing information. I would love to give that a try.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! For urine/poop stains get Nature's Miracle. It's well worth it's weight in gold. It will get rid of smell and stains and is very easy to use. Just shake up bottle, pour *generously* onto stain, work it into carpet thoroughly with your fingers (I always wear rubber gloves) and just let it sit. That's it, no need to do anything else. Stain and odor will be gone.

The younger kitty definitely needs a safe zone away from the older cat. I agree with white cat lover, please don't spray the bitter apple stuff in the mouth of the older cat. It really won't help. It will just make the older cat angry and possibly aggressive towards you and possibly more aggressive towards the younger kitty.

Make sure to shower the older cat with lots of love and attention so she doesn't feel threatened of losing her spot. She needs reassurance that she's still the #1 cat. However, when you see her threatening/attacking the younger one you need to intervene.

Try clapping loudly and yelling "Hey! Stop it!". Scold the older cat verbally but never hit her though!

Try talking to her. It may sound crazy but cats are pretty smart and can understand us. Tell her that you love her but that you love the baby too and that the baby's not going anywhere.

Give her lots of loving and afterwards do the same with the baby where she can see you.

Hopefully in time she will realize you still love her and she will accept the baby.

My two boys used to fight for my attention. It has taken some time and patience but now they both know that I love them both just as much. The key is to be consistent. Give one love and do the same with the other. Tell them both you love them in front of each other.

The Feliway is a great idea!