Bored cat question.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got two little monsters I've had since they were a couple weeks old. They are about 5 months now. They've taken to sprinting from one end of the condo to the other. Which is great because they get excersise. But I swear during the day they seem bored silly. I've bought them a big cat condo (5 ft high) and plenty of toys, but I can't help but feel guilty that they get bored.

I ALWAYS keep two pets because one just gets lonely, but the little boy is really starting to talk alot. I mean A LOT. he'll just wander around the place meowing really loud. It's not like a regular meow though, it's like he's saying something lol.

Should I take that as a sign of boredom?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When he meows, do you respond? If so, you may be teaching him to keep meowing. Sometimes cats will meow to locate other creatures in the house, whether they be cat or human, so he could be looking for his pal. As for boredom, my boys are rarely bored--Zek just finds new things to get into! He has a million toys, but the best things in his mind are the ones he finds. You could set up a treasure hunt for your cats by hiding their toys in various locations. You might also get a few treat balls--it extends their meals and gives them something active and focused to do.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rotate my toys around. I keep large ziploc bags filled with several kinds of toys in each one - but the toys are drastically different from one bag to the next. I rotate the toys, I'll pick up all the toys (I can find) & distribute the toys from a different bag so they have "new" stuff to keep them entertained. You can also play interactively, like with a wand toy, to keep them occupied & at the same time spend time with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Have you had them neutered yet?
Nope that happens Friday. maybe that'll quiet him down. I shouldn't act like it bothers me, I think it's great. I just wondered why.

Originally Posted by cloud_shade

When he meows, do you respond? If so, you may be teaching him to keep meowing. Sometimes cats will meow to locate other creatures in the house, whether they be cat or human, so he could be looking for his pal. As for boredom, my boys are rarely bored--Zek just finds new things to get into! He has a million toys, but the best things in his mind are the ones he finds. You could set up a treasure hunt for your cats by hiding their toys in various locations. You might also get a few treat balls--it extends their meals and gives them something active and focused to do.
Yeah I always respond. At first I figured he was just talking. He can't meow like a normal cat though, it's funny. it's all grainy and funny sounding. I'll record it sometime.

You should hear him go when I tell them it's dinner time!

Originally Posted by white cat lover

I rotate my toys around. I keep large ziploc bags filled with several kinds of toys in each one - but the toys are drastically different from one bag to the next. I rotate the toys, I'll pick up all the toys (I can find) & distribute the toys from a different bag so they have "new" stuff to keep them entertained. You can also play interactively, like with a wand toy, to keep them occupied & at the same time spend time with them.
Actually the cats have both learned to hide things like experts. They hide them from me, and themselves. Constantly hehe.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They rotate their toys themselves, huh?

Some cats are naturally more vocal. Especially considering you are basically the only "mommy figure" they've ever known.

If he is vocal, he might well be talking at you after Friday, just saying some things you might not like.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zekkie likes to hide things too. His favorite hiding place is under the washing machine--I think I pulled at least a dozen toys out last week. Unfortunately, under the washing machine is not a good hiding place, as things tend to get caught in the belt. He also hid his collar from me--I've been looking for it for weeks!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The neutering may help. But, as someone else said, different cats have different vocal habits. Punkun meows almost not all, while Sterling is fairly talkative. We've had cats that talked all the time.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I ALWAYS keep two pets because one just gets lonely, but the little boy is really starting to talk alot. I mean A LOT. he'll just wander around the place meowing really loud. It's not like a regular meow though, it's like he's saying something lol.
I agree that it could be he is just wanting to know where everyone is. Jazz does this a lot. When I respond, he usually comes to me and wants some pets then he calms down. It could be that you will just have a vocal cat but maybe the neutering will help some. Of course Jazz is fixed but he talks ALL the time about anything and everything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking around and looked at your profile to see your cats. I saw you linked to a youtube video so I went and looked at the other videos you posted.

Oreo is.. well, plump
That is one cute cat hehe. I love it