Need HELP! Advise...anything to help stray 6 month old kitten that appears pregnant.

delaney75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Need HELP! Advise...anything to help stray 6 month old kitten that appears pregnant.

The other night my husband and I found a stray kitten on the side of the road. Our road boarders the interstate so I was worried the kitten would run into the heavy traffic. Since she basically came right to me I figured she was not feral at all.

We got her home here and put her in our spare bathroom. Just because it was late and did not want to introduce her to our other animals and stress her out any more then she was. (She did not like being put in the cat carrier)

Well when she came out she is very loving, craving attention. Purring etc. Well she appears pregnant. Now she herself can not be anymore then a few months old. So I am worried of the stress on her body giving birth and have heard that kittens having kittens will usually just abonden them or the newborns will not survive the birth.

I would take her to the vet to be examined but the next day before we left for work we let her out into the bedroom that is attached to the bathroom to streach some. That evening we let her out to meet the our animals.

We have 3 dogs and 2 cats. The dogs sniffed her, licked her, and she appeared to be loving it. She was rubbing all up against them and purring. She came onto the couch with me and one of my dogs and she rubbed up and laid under my dog for a few minutes. One of my other dogs came over and gave a sniff. He then turned around and was going to lay down and she went crazy...the boy dog was no where near her but she attacked him. Hissing, screaming, chasing him and scratching. We had to stop her. As soon as we did she calmed down and started purring again and rubbing up against me.

So we put her back in the room. Did not find any blood on the boy, he was just very shaken and scared as to what happened. He was abused by his prior owner so any form of attack and he cowards.

So after having her on lock down for about and hour we tried again. Same thing purring at the dogs etc and then out of no where she attacked one of my other dogs.

So I am not sure if she is hormonal with being pregnant or what I have never had a cat do this that she is running and attacking. I know cats will attack but they will do the running.

So since she was a stray and the behavior she showed we were worried she might have rabies. I doubt it but I would rather be safe then sorry and was told by animal services to quarantine her here at home. So she is back on lock down in the bathroom.

She has not gone after me or my husband like the dogs...but she does not like being told no. She will hiss at you if you tell her no. When I put her back in the bedroom and said no she tried to bite my foot and hiss that I was putting her back in there. Then once when I was petting her and I turned and walked away she got upset and swatted at me for trying to get up and leave.

In the bedroom and now bathroom she is pulling at the doors shaking them. It sounds like there is a 50 pound cat back there the way she is going...and all she wants is attention and to be rubbed.

So I need help on is this a pregnant kitty and this is how some of them get...or is she just crazy.

I have never been scared of a cat before but I am scared of this kitty. I don't want her to flip out on me or my family. That is also why we are quarantining her.

Sorry so long but any help would be great.

Thank you for reading and any help!

Below is the link to see a few photos of the kitten.

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=12d3850d.pbr

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not a good idea to have her around the other animals until you've had her checked out. There's no telling what problems she might have. As far as her freaking out on the dog, I think you probably just introduced them too quickly. Keep the separated as much as possible, and provide her with food and litter wherever you're keeping her. Keep in mind that if she is pregnant, it's just an added stress on top of being tossed in with a bunch of dogs and new people.

Is she healthy looking? She could either be a very friendly stray (uncommon), or she's a housepet that got loose. Check around at the local shelters to see if anyone's been looking for her, and if you can, post a few signs up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

delaney75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is very health looking, when we got her home she is very clean, no flea bites, dirt on her. Her ears are clean as a whistle.

When a kitten or cat is pregnant will they have a lot of saliva? Every time I pet her, she is dripping with saliva around her mouth. I have never had a pregnant cat/kitten so I don't know what it could be.

We have her set up in the bathroom, with a litter box and fresh water and food. Today she really has not eaten much. She knows how to use the litter box so that is good.

She has a nice box in there with blankets etc and then we cleaned out the cabient under the sink in there with towels as well if she is ready to give birth.

Once she has done the home quarantine we are going to take her to the vet to see if she is microchipped and get checked out.

We have posted with our local shelters etc that we found her but no replys.

Just don't know what to do other then what I am. She is constantly crying at the door wanting attention, but I can't go in there because she is suppose to have limited contact while in the quarantine.

Again thank you in advance for any help with her.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She could just be really wormy too... unless you're seeing mammary development. A trip to the vet would be your best bet either way.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait I am confused, is she in quarantine for biting you? I understand why you cannot have contact with her.

I would just take her into the vet and have her tested first of all to know if she is a threat to your other cats. Then you could also have her spayed asap. It is very dangerous and unnecessary for her to be having babies at such a young age. Plus there are way too many in the world for her to need to reproduce.

I agree also, she may just be really wormy.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Wait I am confused, is she in quarantine for biting you? I understand why you cannot have contact with her.
she doesn't want to spread anything to her own cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

delaney75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told by animal control to put her under quarantine to see if she has rabies because I was scratched really bad by her when I was putting her in the pet carrier to bring her home.

She was found on the side of the street that borders the interstate so I did not want to take a chance with her getting hit by a car on our road or the interstate.

I have posted signs on our road and with animal services to see if her owner will step up. So far nothing.

Since she is under quarantine I can not take her to the vet or anything.

As far as how old she is...6 months was a guess. She could be 9 months a year for all I know. But she is a kitten. She has her adult teeth, top and bottom so I was told by a friend that is a vet tech that she is most likely around 9 months old.

She is way to far along to be fixed. She has gotten a lot bigger in the last few days...her nipples are very pink and there is no hair around them. They have not started to swell yet but I am guessing she is going to be ready in a week or so. I am going to take her to the vet on Monday to confirm since her quarantine will be over then.

She has been nesting a bit...I have towels under the cabinet and she keeps scrunching them up into a corner.

Thank you again for all your help and I will post when I know more. I am pretty sure she is rabies free, but don't know about FEL so I am going to keep her locked up still for that reason, even though my cats have been vaccineted I would rather be safe then sorry.

If she is pregnant, before I adopt out any of the kittens, they will be fixed as well as she will once the kitties have been weened. I don't want to spread more kittens out there, but I will not take her in to have them aborted unless my vet thinks there is a health risk with her having them.

Thanks again

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

she doesn't want to spread anything to her own cats.
Oh I was confused by the word quarantine. Just make sure to wash your hands in between this cat and your own. By quarantine I thought you meant like animal control was taking her to the 10 day quarantine.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Oh I was confused by the word quarantine. Just make sure to wash your hands in between this cat and your own. By quarantine I thought you meant like animal control was taking her to the 10 day quarantine.
she did - i was wrong. see her post directly above yours... she's doing the 10 day quarantine in her home, tho.