Feral kitties of Lima, Peru

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I just wanted to share about the kitties here in Lima..

I am currently travelling around South America, and the neighborhood I'm staying in here in Lima (called Miraflores) happens to have alot of georgeous and friendly feral cats. The reason being that there's a woman here who comes by every day with a few bags of food to feed the kitties.

She put out a few plates of dry cat food and some plates of a rice/meat mixture for them (sometimes dry and wet mixed together), and some bowls of water.

Everyday around the same time she comes around to feed the cats. From what I understand she's doing it all on her own accord, and has four of her own kitties at home. That may not sound very interesting, but in a place like Peru with widespread impoverishment that is very interesting. Most people here don't feed their pets pet food, but rather scraps or leftovers from their lunch.

There are a few different groups of kitties.. there's 3-4 black cats that always hang out along with each other under a tree in the park. Across the park there is a church. On one side there's a group of grey, black & white, and orange kitties. On the other side there are 4 calicos that all look quite similar and are extremely georgeous. There's also some baby ginger cats and some fluffy grey cats.

They're all very friendly and will let you pet them.

I've given her a few bags of food to support her feeding since it can't be cheap for anyone to feed that many kitties a day (especially in a place like Peru!)

Anyways, here are some pics of the kitties..

me with the kitties

Alot of them hid behind the fence where it's a safe little kitty place

Not sure if you can spot the kitties, but the little orange baby ones were back there

If I'm out tommorow I'll take some more pictures of the rest of the kitties! The black cats would make for a nice photo since the three of them (all JET black) are always sitting under the tree together.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may be that each "group" is a family, either siblings or otherwise related.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! That's so good of both of you to help the kitties. If you can pet them then they really aren't that feral...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Awww! That's so good of both of you to help the kitties. If you can pet them then they really aren't that feral...
No I guess I'd call them more "street cats" than feral cats. Only a few will let you pet them.. the others get too scared and run off behind their fence.

tallulah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How kind of that woman to care for them, and you to support her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

It may be that each "group" is a family, either siblings or otherwise related.
I presume so. The 4 calico cats all look identical in colouring, and the 3-4 black cats are also quite similar (all completely black.) The little orange ones are all about the same size so I presume they came from the same litter. The rest are all different (grey, white & tabby, fluffy grey, etc) so I have no idea where they all come from.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So cool to see them all out there surrounding you. Do they do TNR in Peru?
I look forward to hearing about them in the future.