TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Candle Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Candle Question

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I have what may be a silly question. For Christmas I got 2 Mistletoe candles from Yankee candle and I was wonder is the smell from these harmful to my cats since they are made with pure natural plant extracts. I really like the smell but I don't want to use them if they can hurt the cats. Thanks so much! Aileen
post #2 of 9
The smell alone shouldn't be harmful. Mistletoe is poisonous but only if ingested. As long as your cats don't have allergies or respitory problems it should be fine to burn.

I wonder if anyone ever invented a cat-nip candle....
post #3 of 9
You may want to double check with your vet just to be on the safe side, but i would think the smell alone shouldn't harm them so long as they don't have a sensitive respiratory system- but do keep it well out of their reach.
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post

I wonder if anyone ever invented a cat-nip candle....
I think there may be a flaw in that plan...you don't want your cats more attracted to candles!
post #5 of 9




I'd never dare burn it
post #6 of 9
I would be more worried about them getting burnt.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by clixpix View Post
I think there may be a flaw in that plan...you don't want your cats more attracted to candles!
Yeah, you got a point! Ok, bad idea.
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
The smell alone shouldn't be harmful. Mistletoe is poisonous but only if ingested. As long as your cats don't have allergies or respitory problems it should be fine to burn.

I wonder if anyone ever invented a cat-nip candle....
If you go to Catnipcandle.com they sell catnip candles. I just found out about this and haven't tried them yet.

Thanks everyone for all your answers.
post #9 of 9
Yes, please make sure they are out of reach of the cat. Cat fires are very scary. I had a pillar candle lit on my coffee table and before I knew it, Fred was dashing around the house, up across the coffee table and caught his tail on fire. Fortunately it was just a little scorched fur, but it scared the dickens out of me. I snatched him up and tossed him in the pool. I was scared he was actually ON FIRE and that was my first reaction, since it was right there and I was chasing him. He hadn't stopped, he just kept running.
I only use jars or covered candles now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Candle Question