Legge-Perth Syndrome - information and experiences?

kkmauss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. I haven't been on the forums in a long time. But I have a potential problem and I'm seeking information. I have a two year old male Maine Coon, neutered. He's a big boy, not a bit fat, but pushing 19 pounds. He's always been very healthy, and full of energy, though a bit on the klutzy side. He tends to be clumsy, fall off things, etc. I know they're a slow growing breed, so I've just put it off to him not quite being grown up and not having his coordination act together.

About two weeks ago, I noticed him limping a little. I figured I'd keep an eye on it, and if it didn't get better, or got worse, I'd take him in for a checkup. Well, a week ago, he did something -- I didn't see what of course, but he actually broke his left hip. All I heard was a crash, a thump and then a howling kitty on three legs. Big surgery bill later, he's home and recovering.

Now I'm hearing for the first time about this strange syndrome that isn't specific to any breed, but for some reason strikes male neutered cats most, where the tops of the femurs actually pathologically fracture?! ANd if one goes, the other one surely will too. This is not good news, either for my pocketbook, which was severely strained by this episode, or for him having to go through this mess twice.

I'm taking him in for a recheck with the vet Monday morning, and I'd like to be able to have some information about this condition to take along, and see if he saw anythign really out of the ordinary when he did the surgery. I'd like to think this was a freak accident, but I surely don't want to get taken by surprise if we HAVE to do this twice.

Sooo -- has anyone else had experiences with this? Was there any warning besides some vague limping? Is the fact that he's always been a bit of a dopix an early warning sign? Information and/or links to articles woudl be a real help to me at this point. Thanks much in advance

Karen
Mom to Crowley, Jango, Gypsy and Petey

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kkmauss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Tricia,

Thanks so much for the links. I tried "googling" it myself but got no results because I guess I was spelling it wrong. I'll try to find some time to read all of these before Monday.

Karen

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kkmauss

Hi Tricia,

Thanks so much for the links. I tried "googling" it myself but got no results because I guess I was spelling it wrong. I'll try to find some time to read all of these before Monday.

Karen
Vets (and doctors) really should write down the names of their diagnoses.
I hope things work out well for your MC.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kkmauss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update -- that was NOT the case with Petey, thank God! My vet said he has seen this syndrome, but only in dogs, and it's screamingly obvious on the xrays. So apparently it was a case of a bad landing. Happily, he's on the mend, and stitches come out in a week. That will be a huge relief!