The cat, your bed and the bedroom

ziggyboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been thinking of putting a cat door in my bedroom door for my kitten to have easy access to my bedroom, but after doing a bit of research, read that quite a number of people do not recommend cats sleeping on human beds...or even allowed in bedrooms at all.

Do you allow your cats to sleep on your bed? Why not?

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL. at this site I think you are going to get a pretty unanimous viewpoint!! Kittys make GREAT sleeping friends. they LOVE the bed. Unless you have allergies I see no reason not to let your babies sleep with you. My kitties have slept with me forever!! Even my rescue kitties immediately figure out where the bed is at night

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More than just on the bed, my 3 sleep IN the bed with me

Like Imunsie I would imagine it's only a problem if you or your partner have allergies, then you'd want to keep them out of the bedroom at all times.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really do not understand why that would be said. I think it is a thing of them being concerned about allergies and dander.
Our cats sleep with us and no problems what so ever. I have always had a cat sleeping with me from age 13 on up.
Like what was already said, you will find that most everyone here allows their cats to sleep with them.

smirkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our two boys sleep with us each night, and we wouldn't have it any other way. I'm just curious; the people who told you not to let the cat sleep with you, did they say why? Perhaps they are afraid it will steal your soul or something. What oddballs.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All 4 of our cats sleep with us. However, I understand why some people wouldn't want to let their young cats in the room as a bouncy kitten can keep you awake at night, but they grow out of it.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha!
Maybe there's some discussion on the quality of sleep one gets with a furbaby in the bed.

I am constantly aware of where mine is - one of them prefers to be snuggled up on my shoulder, cheek to cheek - then at other times he likes laying between my legs - so I have to lay real still, no tossing or turning here!

Since I have only three - the oldest seems to have the say who's on the bed, occasionally, and rarely are all three in the bed with us ... so, maybe it does have something to do with where they snuggle up, and how limited you are in where you can move in the bed.???

For me, give me the snuggles - I rest a lot better even if I have to put my arm a certain way, or position my leg(s) differently - it worth it!

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitties sleep anywhere they want to. Including the bed. Spooky sleeps at least part of the night on the bed every night, but usually also sleeps some in his kitty bed and some on the armchair in the room. I'm not sure why it would be bad to let them sleep in there? I second the comment that bouncy kittens can prevent you from getting much sleep til they grow out of it, but they do grow out of it and its so worth it then. My kitties do most of their cuddle time in the bed with me.

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There was another thread about cats sleeping with their owners at night awhile ago.

I think the argument against having kitties in your bed is something along the lines of cats being able to carry diseases that they can transfer to you while you're cuddled up at night.

However, I'd say that such a thing would be extremely rare, and as you can see most people on this site cuddle up with their cats at night. My cat always slept under the covers cuddled up to me every night and I certainly didn't catch and weird cat diseases.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
if they want to, they can. in the winter, Java will sleep w/me - she has the shortest/lightest coat. the others will come around for pets, etc. but don't really sleep w/me.
Mouse used to - that's one of the things i miss most!

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've no choice - she was banned from bedroom as she used to run around in the middle of night, jumped up & down on bed, brought her toy into a bedroom, dropped it on my face and woke me up.

Keeping her out from bedroom was successful only for a couple of weeks.
Soon she learned how to open the door somehow, burst into a bedroom in the middle of night, and again, woke me up

I guess she was still "a kitten" in her, and hadn't adopted to my schedule back then

Been a long time ever since, now she sleeps when I sleep, wakes up when I wake up. She also wakes me up if I don't wake up after alarm goes off. Therefore, she needs to have a full access to bedroom

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say most people on this site would argue FOR letting your cats sleep on the bed unless they are so active they don't let you sleep, or you are allergic.

Nothing like a warm purry kitty to keep you company all night!

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would also like to add the fact that most kitties need cuddles. Really! They're very affectionate creatures and there's nothing a kitty likes best than snuggly warm safe spots to sleep. The more you and your kitty cuddle the better the relationship.

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pepper is funny she won't sleep in the bed with me at night, I wish she would!! She likes to sleep under my bed and first thing in the morning she comes up in my bed for cuddles, licks, etc She is also very cuddly in the day. She just chooses to sleep under the bed at night time. I'm thinking maybe b/c Hubby and I kick around to much

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by *Pepper*

Pepper is funny she won't sleep in the bed with me at night, I wish she would!! She likes to sleep under my bed and first thing in the morning she comes up in my bed for cuddles, licks, etc She is also very cuddly in the day. She just chooses to sleep under the bed at night time. I'm thinking maybe b/c Hubby and I kick around to much
Our girls sleep behind the sofa, in their condo or under the bed. Very rarely do they jump up on the bed at night. Dusty has a habit of waking me up for lovings between 3-5am in the morning. The past two mornings, both girls woke me at 6:30. They are probably saying "time to get up mama" as that is the time I have my alarm set for during the week. They don't seem to understand that weekends, I want to sleep in!

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When we first took the kittens in, we left the entire house open for them at night. But, they are REALLY noisy and playful, so we had to close the door to the bedroom. Also, it allows my husband to open our bedroom window at night. I would have no problem with them sleeping with us and they are totally welcome in the bedroom at all other times. Conor does like curling up with me if I fall asleep on the sofa, but if she does start getting playful, she likes to hunt my toes under the covers, which of course wakes me up right away!

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pip sleeps in one of 2 of his beds which are under our bed... during summer... winter, spring and autum, he sleeps between my legs.

Never close a door in our house... NEVER! He will scratch, charge and meow until that door is re-opened!

If I move, he moves. If I get up, he gets up. If I go to bed, he goes to bed! He's human really!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 kittens and 2 adults in my bed! Let me rephrase that...there are 4 abys an one maine coon
I guess I get enough sleep!