Sugar Glider updates!(lots of pics!!!)

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow! I just realised that I haven't updated ya'll since February(I haven't posted pics since January). That means that I haven't introduced you to my newest additions!

Well, since then I've gotten my first breeding pair: Silvara and Gilthanas! Silvara is a WFB/100% leu het(which means her daddy is a black-eyed white) and Gil is a WFB mosaic/50% leu het(his grandma was a BEW).

Also, I'm getting another breeding pair next month. The female is a WFB and the boy is a Leucistic(BEW)! I'm uber excited!

Anyways, without any more stalling, here are pics of Silvara and Gilthanas:

CUTENESS WARNING!!!
(now you can't say I didn't warn you, lol)

Silvara getting ready to bite my finger off it I didn't get the camera out of her face(she was mean when I first got her cause she was lonely, now she has Gil)

Gilthanas saying "hi" when I first got him

The cute couple sharing mealworms

Gil's adorable splotchy ears!

Full body shot of Gil

You can see one of the faint rings on his tail

Cuddle time

Awwwww.....look at Gilthanas's cute bald spot!

Silvara giving my thumb a manicure

Silvara, "Let me out!!!"

Gil, "Me too!"

Last, but certainly not least, this is my #1 favorite picture of Gil:

Enjoy the pics! Hopefully I don't overload the system, lol.

Oh yeah, Silvara might be pregnant!
I'll know in about 2 weeks, which is when the babies should be dropping into Silvara's pouch. I'm kinda upset cause I didn't want her to get preggers this young(she's 6 months old) and have been separating them during her heat, but I must have miscalculated by a day cause when I put them back together I caught them mating a few hours later.

Oh well, if she IS preggers then I can't help but to be excited, lol.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are adorable. DH really wants a pair of gliders, but I can't figure out how you'd keep them and cats in the same house.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How precious!! Good thing you had that cuteness warning.

Like whiteforest, my husband really wants one, so let's not show him this thread.

Thanks for sharing!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol, I knew ya'll would enjoy the pics.

As for the cats and gliders together, I haven't had any problems so far(knock on wood). I have cage covers on the cages and the cats sometimes jump on top and snooze there, but if they let their paws hang over the edge then the gliders will grab em and make the cats jump, heehee.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG, sugar gliders are TOO cute!! They are illegal to own here in California though! And a bit too much work for me (If I only had a few pets..maybe!)

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're cute! But don't they need lots of space? Is keeping them in a cage enough to keep them active and occupied, even though they have company?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, they needs lots of space. No, a cage isn't enough.

I let them out of the cage each day and let them play in the room, bathroom, or a tent, whichever is handiest at the moment.

When they aren't out playing they're running(technically they don't run, they jump) up a storm in their wheels, lol. They think if they run fast enough they'll make it to China.
When they get going fast enough they step and hang on for the ride. They spin 10-20 times before they start running again to start over.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

That's nice! What else do they eat besides mealworms?
Every night I feed them fruits, veggies, and a special mix I make them called HPW. The HPW is perfectly balanced to meet all their dietary needs so that all I have to do it feed then fruits/veggies that balance out to a 2:1 cal:phos level.

As treats, they eat mealworms, yogurt drops, dried fruit, eucalyptus, etc...

Most diets require some type of protien added(chicken, mealworms, egg...) and when I first got the gliders I was feeding them a diet that required alot of mealworms(10 per glider each day!) so I started a farm. Well, now I feed HPW and I'm stuck with THOUSANDS of mealworms but can't give the gliders more then a couple each day or it throws off the balance of their diet.
Thankfully, there's a huge mealworm shortage so it's not hard to sell off the extra worms, heehee.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do they take dust baths?

We got some sugar gliders in at the shelter one time in terrible condition. I seem to remember them taking dust baths. Unless that was another creature I am thinking of. (Not chinchilla's either)

Anyway I would like to see a picture of that if so! I love dust baths!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nope, gliders don't take dust baths. Chins are the only animals I know of that do.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, I know some people who would LOVE to get their hands on your mealworms. Seriously.

Your gliders are really cute! I'm guessing you're a Dragonlance fan?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

Ha, I know some people who would LOVE to get their hands on your mealworms. Seriously.

Your gliders are really cute! I'm guessing you're a Dragonlance fan?
No kidding! I posted on craigslist to offer my extra worms for sale and by morning I had about 20 responses! :eek: The mealie shortage is really making people desperate for mealworms and yet here I am complaining about having too many.

Guilty as charged: I'm a dragonlance hero through and through!
If I get lucky enough that my gliders have 2 male babies at the same time then I'm going to name one Tasslehoff and the other Burrfoot.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol I had a gerbil named Tasslehof Burrfoot!

Did you read Margaret Weis' Dark Disciple trilogy? The one she just finished releasing, about Mina?