Pooping problems

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm concerned about my sister's cat's (Mouser and Minion) bathroom habits. They are about 7 and 6, respectively, and they both seem to be constipated. They strain to poop, and when they do, it's incredibly loose, like diarrhea (it ends up shooting out). A few nights ago, when I cleaned out their boxes, I noticed that it was a little bloody, too. Anyway, I have noticed them straining several times in the week I've been here.

I mentioned the straining to my sister, but she didn't think it was something to be concerned about.

Now, since I just moved here, I don't know if this is new, or something that just started. I suppose it could be the stress of 2 new cats (my boys) added to the household. (It most likely wouldn't be because of me, because they know me, and I've lived with them briefly before.) Also, my sister was not very good about cleaning the litterboxes regularly, so maybe it's because of that? I've taken over that duty now, and I'm cleaning the area thoroughly. Today, I threw out their old litterboxes. I do suspect that it has been going on for awhile, but I have no real proof.

They eat dry food only, but I'm not sure of the brand. Whatever it is, they've been eating it for years. I know that neither cat has eaten any of my boys' food. I know my sister will not feed them wet food at all. I don't know if I can convince her that they should be checked out. Also, she doesn't have a lot of money right now, but I'm willing to help her out with the vet.

So, what do you all think? Has anyone experienced this before? Should I just wait and see?

Tricia

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The food and added family is likely... Will you sis take them to the vet?? Are yours allowed to co mingle??

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
in people who are constipated, diarrhea is not uncommon. liquid can 'get past' the blockage of fecal matter.
i agree - probably need different food/vet visit. but since they're not yours, you may not be able to ensure that...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she thinks something is wrong with them, she would, but I don't think she thinks there's a problem.

They have been eating the same food for years, and I don't remember if this is "normal" for them. My boys are allowed to co-mingle, but they don't really get close to each other, yet. My boys' poop seems fine.

Tricia

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just in case they have something like giardia I would keep yours away...

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kibbles n bits? Thats dog food itsn't it?

Maybe try to convince her to switch them to an all wet diet? I know you mentioned this, but really try, tell her that it has to be very painful for them and straining is unhealthy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Kibbles n bits? Thats dog food itsn't it?

Maybe try to convince her to switch them to an all wet diet? I know you mentioned this, but really try, tell her that it has to be very painful for them and straining is unhealthy.
Hmm, I guess it is dog food. Okay, then, she doesn't feed them that! And no, there's no way she would ever give them an all wet diet or even a semi-wet diet.

Tricia

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

Hmm, I guess it is dog food. Okay, then, she doesn't feed them that! And no, there's no way she would ever give them an all wet diet or even a semi-wet diet.

Tricia
is there a petsmart nearby? their authority kibble, while not the best possible dry, is better than almost all of the grocery store kibbles - & not much different in price. a 20 pound bag is $21.99 - that's online, but the store price is similar. comparatively, meow mix kibble [also an online price] is $14.99 for 21.6 pounds.
authority:
Chicken & Rice Recipe
Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Corn, Animal Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2 Polyphosphate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamin Mononitrate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine.
meow mix:
Ingredients:
Ground Yellow Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Beef Tallow Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E), Turkey By-Product Meal, Salmon Meal, Oceanfish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Phosphoric Acid, Animal Digest, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Tetra Sodium Pyrophosphate, Calcium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Added Color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2 and other Color), Salt, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, L-alanine, Niacin, Vitamin Supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Citric Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.