how young should the new cat be?

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well I'm about the move, when when I do, sadly I will have to leave my cats here (two golden tabbies) and the woman I'm renting a room from has a cat (a older dark tabby, about 7 years old) and has told me that I can bring a cat with me. However I don't have the heart to just choose one of mine (they are very much like brothers, always wresling and playing hide and seek together, they even clean each other) and I have a friend at a animal recuse here. Now I'm told that since the current cat at the new place is older and used to being a only cat that I would be best off with a kitten. However I will have about a month before I will be going to college, so I will need a cat that can handle being alone for atleast the time I'm gone (anywhere from 5 hours 3 days a week to 5 hours 5 days a weeks). I'm told that a ten month old is the best age. Is this true? There is one cat I'm looking at that is 10 months now almost 11. He is also a tabby and a male, would this be the way to go? I'm going on monday to see him and possibly adopt him...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wonderful, thank you ^_^

Will the old cat (being a female) get along better with him then she would with another female? Both cats have been fixed and any that I got (if I needed one younger or female) would be as well, if that factors into it

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds like a good choice to me. has the other person's cat ever lived w/another cat?

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

sounds like a good choice to me. has the other person's cat ever lived w/another cat?
well she was adopted by someone who had saved 5 cats from the vet. So at that time she did, but since then she hasn't had another cat around (this was about 4 years ago) The owner told me she did try to add a kitten into the mix a year ago and this cat didn't take to well to it, used to chase it under the bed and whatnot. Honestly I'm being a bit selfish, its the whole, new place, new school, not knowing anyone thing. I would just feel better if I had a cat of my own, I have always had a cat of my own for as long as I can remember. And I think the fact that this cat will be "mine" and not after the old cat's owner, and will be staying in a different area, have different food/litter and whatnot will help alot...I hope...

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

probably be good to at least introduce them, tho. there's a good article on that here: i'd like you to meet - introducing cats
i think a 10-11 month old [or even older] neutered male would be the best choice, since the other cat is a female.
I would, but the place I'm moving to is four hours away, so I can't really go get the old cat to see if she likes him or not. I have read that before and I'm planning on following it. I would wait till I'm getting there, but this cat seems just right (or just what you said) and as I said, the person who works there is a friend. And another reason is I wanted the cat to meet a few more people. I've read that the more the young cats meet people and are petted by them, the better they act around strangers when they are older...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

I would, but the place I'm moving to is four hours away, so I can't really go get the old cat to see if she likes him or not. I have read that before and I'm planning on following it.
see if the current cat owner will rub a towel all over her cat - you do the same - then exchange towels by mail. that way, they can start getting used to each other's scent ahead of time.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

see if the current cat owner will rub a towel all over her cat - you do the same - then exchange towels by mail. that way, they can start getting used to each other's scent ahead of time.
that is a wonderful idea, thank you!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

that is a wonderful idea, thank you!
also, feed yours on top of the towel - that way, he associates the scent w/good things. you can suggest this to your future housemate, too.