Woohoo! New lens, new pics! :)

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I received a late birthday present of a new lens for my camera. Yes, Rob has scored a few more points in my books.
I can't wait to take it to the cottage and get hunting for some nature pics.

It's going to take me awhile to get used to the lens, plus I should use a tripod. But, here are the first samples using Gigi and Steve as test subjects.

Steve

Gigi

You can see our sunroom's glass ceiling being reflected in her eye here. Pretty cool, since I was quite a distance away from her when I took the pic.

As you can see, this mouse has seen better days! One eye missing and a tattered nose!

Hope to improve a great deal more once I experiment more with the lens.

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really beautiful photos - and beautiful kitties! Such gorgeous faces!!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are wonderful photos & beautiful cats! The last one is my favourite, with Gigi in the background and her paw and the poor tattered mouse in the foreground.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love those!
I especially love the one where Steve is sleeping!

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous Pictures Kass!! (And a big thanks to Rob for the toys
)

I love the one of Gigi and the reflection in her eys - stunning!

Can't wait for more pictures.....

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WOW! Both kitties are wonderful subjects.

Steve....sigh....I am so in love with him!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never noticed the cute little black spots by Gigi's nose before!

The kitties look gorgeous, and those are beautiful pics. What sort of lens is it?

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, am jealous of your camera and lens. I wish my old Mamiya SLR was a digital so I could use the telephoto. *pouts*

Excellent test subjects for your lens, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your responses!

Originally Posted by BabyWukong

.....The last one is my favourite, with Gigi in the background and her paw and the poor tattered mouse in the foreground.
[/color][/font][/b]
Yes, that mouse has seen better days! It really gets mileage around this house.

Originally Posted by KatKisses

Ohhhhh! Those are amazing! Mind if I ask, what camera do you have?
Canon Digital Rebel XTi. Hope to upgrade to the Canon 40D at some point. I also use a point & shoot camera - Canon Powershot G6 which does some amazing close ups as well (and overall excellent camera).

Originally Posted by clixpix

....I especially love the one where Steve is sleeping!
He, honestly, is the cutest thing.
His face is staying so 'kitten' like - his body grew but his head hasn't caught up yet!

Originally Posted by greycat2

Gorgeous Pictures Kass!! (And a big thanks to Rob for the toys
) I love the one of Gigi and the reflection in her eyes - stunning!.....
Thanks!
And, yes, big thanks to Rob for the toy. Guys have their garages and cars, I have my camera.

The Gigi eye pic will get much better in the future. Once I try out the lens with a tripod and have all the settings in place. These pics were first shots when I attached the lens, so more practice needed.

Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Steve....sigh....I am so in love with him!
Honestly, Kellye, if you ever met him you would never want to leave him alone. He is the cutest thing I have encountered - from his constant purr, to his funny meow. He's more like a dog, wants to dig everywhere, follows you around, needs companionship. I'm so glad I brought the two of them home.

Originally Posted by sarahp

I never noticed the cute little black spots by Gigi's nose before! The kitties look gorgeous, and those are beautiful pics. What sort of lens is it?
Gigi has a few freckles on both sides of her nose, along the whisker line - the mark on the right more pronounced than the left. Thanks Sarah!

Yes, it's the Canon 100mm. I was going to go with a 3rd party lens but decided to go with Canon. I'll be frequently using it and the great reviews won me over. Now I just need some practice.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought it was that - I went to B&H Photo this morning to check out the 100mm Nikon lenses.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh those pics are GORGEOUS! Those babies are just so precious anyway, but seeing them up close and clear is just
Look at Gigi's eyelashes
I could just kiss them both all over

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't presume to comment on thelens, but I sure do know pretty kitties when I see them. WOWOWOWOWOWOW!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by Renovia

does 100mm translate to macro?
In this case, the lens is a dedicated macro lens with a fixed focal length of 100mm (therefore, you can be further away from your subject, but still get a macro result). There are various lenses, 50mm, 65mm, 100mm and 180mm macro. As you increase the focal length, the more expensive the lens since you don't need to be right on top of your subject to maintain fine details.

I'd love the 180mm, but my wallet wouldn't!