To get vaccinations or not?

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have been vaccinated a few times for rabies and the other yearly vaccines. They are indoor cats, but sometimes get out. There are strays outside who are all fixed and vaccinated so they leave my cats alone.

Last time my cats were vaccinated was 3 years ago. I dont know much about if getting vaccinated each year is a must, I know there is a whole debate on it. I also heard of cats & dogs getting reactions or tumors because they were vaccinated too often.

I dont know if my cats should be vaccinated every year or not? Any input would help, they have a vet apointmentt tommorrow.

mbrcpr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let me preface this by saying this is *only* my experience and whatever decision you make should be reached between you and your veterinarian.

I asked my vet about yearly shots and he said that really, the shots last longer than a year or two. The law here is that after the one-year rabies booster, rabies needs given only once every 3 years. So after the booster, your rabies shot is valid for 3 years, legally. This means that if your animal bites someone, they are't considered a risk for rabies if it's been less than 3 years since the rabies shot. I don't know if that's the law in all states, but in Indiana (where my vet is) and Ohio (where I live), that's what it is.

SO, my vet and I discussed it. My cats are strictly indoors, and I'm at my limit on how many cats I can afford to take care of, so no new kitties are coming in (had to turn two away yesterday which broke my heart but I don't have the money). So we decided that my cats will get vaccinations only when they get thier rabies shots. Another part of what prompted us to come to this decision is that I am an experienced pet owner who can recognize subtle signs of illness, and I won't hesitate to take one of my kids in if they need it. My vet feels confident that I know enough to get my animals whatever treatment they may need.

Some people will say "no shots after the first year" and stuff like that, but truly it's a decision you have to talk to your vet about, and come up with a solution that works for you and your animals, and that your vet is comfortable with. His job isn't about trying to find ways to suck more money out of you, the bottom line is the health and well being of your pets.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats get their distemper shots every 3 years, and the Purevax Rabies vaccine annually (they are working on getting it approved for 3 years). I'm required by law in my area to keep my cats up to date on Rabies or face fines, etc. Since the Purevax shot is only approved for annual usage, we do annual rabies shots. Purevax is the only non-adjuvanted rabies shot currently available and that is why I use that one for my cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lets see... I have one who had a "adverse" reaction to her shots ( they were the boosters) ... I have a dog that was posioned and will die from a condition caused by a common "health aid " ...

I will likely never vaccinate Zoey again... My new sons PJ and Punky wont be as they have health issues ... my dogs do to health wont get them... Sylvie WILL get his boosters ... BUT I have the exception to most rules household ... But most vets in my area are coming to the kitten plus booster and possiblely one more 3 yr s later

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friends Cat got Cancer from the Rabies Shots. My Lucy became very sick and was never the same and she kept needing blood transfusions before she died. Coco can not have shots anymore because she reacts very bad now.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pepe has to get his booster since he is now prone to URTI

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After the initial Kitten boosters, Pepper will only have Rabies shot every 3 years (as req by law)

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Same here. My kittens will get inital kitten vaccines and then only what's required by law. It's a personal decision based on what I feel comfortable doing. One of the two kittens had a reaction to the kitten shots and the other did not. I did get their rabies and the last boosters a week apart. Vet said it was easier on their immune system giving them a chance to recover in between.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so i'll ask the vet what the required time is to vaccinate. If it's every 3 years thats required than every 3 years would be good, it has worked for the past 3 years for the cats.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine will be vacinated every 2 years while I am showing, after that will probably go to either every 3 or not at all.
Show regulations require 2 years, as they are around many other cats. But I will only do the F3, never the F4 or F5. We don't have rabies here.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats got all their intial shots and will never get anymore unless it is required for a vet procedure. For example, I had to get Fang another rabies shot when he got his teeth cleaned, since he was out of date.

They are strictly indoors, and I do not think it is neccessary, and I am not going to do it. Never have, and I have owned cats for over 38 years.

However, if the cats go outdoors, even occasionally, then they should be done.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is even a remote chance that they can get outside and mix with other cats, then yes, get them vaccinated.

Both of my girls are indoor only cats with zero chance of getting outside or being around other cats, so I got them their initial set but haven't gotten then anymore and the vet said that's perfectly fine.

rabernet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that developed fibromyalgia and spoke with my vet about my others (who are now RB kids from old age) and we decided not to vaccinate them again after that. They were older kitties who had received shots on an annual basis and before Shasta, I never knew of the risks.

Once Lexi has her kitten shots and her first boosters in a year, I will be speaking to this vet (a new one) about only doing what is necessary and nothing more. The same with Sammy when he gets his boosters in October. I don't wish the heartbreak that I went through with Shasta on anyone.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My show and breeding cats get vaccinated yearly (annual boosters). The non show, non breeding gets their boosters every two years, they are strictly indoors. Rabies shots are only given to the show cats - especially the ones that travel overseas as required by the various countries that I show the cat(s) in.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I vaccinate for distemper every third year and show cats are vaccinated for cat flu yearly (show rules). They're strictly indoors.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats went in today and got the shot for Rabies, FVRCP, and Leukemia. Those are the only shots they ever get more than once.

We asked the vets and they said by law Rabies must be done once a year. Thats news to us because before today it's been 2 years since they were at the vet, we havent gotten a notice at all about it? They said they recommend the FVRCP and Leukemia each year, but it's not mandatory.

my cats dont like the shots at all it makes them tired and sore for a day or two.

So now that we asked, do you think Rabies once a year, and the 2 others every other year? Or get them all once a year?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest read your local laws yourself... some vets will say every year when the law is every three or does not have a cat clause

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get the Merial Purevax rabies shot? That one has to be done every year as it is not yet approved for 3 year use. It also is nonadjuvented, so less likely to cause cancer for your cat later. I use the Purevax shot because I am required by law to keep rabies vaccines up to date. My cats also recover a lot better from the Purevax shot than the other rabies vaccines available.

I lost a cat in December to Fibrosarcoma, which was likely caused by over-vaccination (annual distemper shots), the wrong vaccines (3-yr adjuvented rabies vaccine), and unneccessary vaccines (feline leukemia). It wasn't until Raven
and Nabu were 7 yrs old that we moved out of state and found vets that were much more up to date with the vaccine protocols. Since losing Raven
, I am very careful of vaccines, and I don't allow my vet to over vaccinate or use the wrong vaccines. I switched clinics over this issue. I am thankful that we moved not long after adopting Stimpy, so he wasn't subjected to the overvaccination that my other 2 cats were.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd definitely check the local law.
In where I live(FL), there is a law that household pet animals(cats & dogs) must get a rabies shot every year(or 3 years depending on the kind), also a mandatory to be registered as such in a county.

I'll soon be relocating to a state with no rabies - all pet animals moving into the state are required to have a history of minimum 2 rabies vaccines. Although other shots such as FRVCP, leukemia etc are not mandatory, I was advised to also get those shots prior to my relocation. However, once I move in, annual vaccines are not mandatory

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get the Merial Purevax rabies shot? That one has to be done every year as it is not yet approved for 3 year use. It also is nonadjuvented, so less likely to cause cancer for your cat later. I
Would the bill printout from the vets tell what type of shot it is? I didnt know there were so many varieties, I know nothing about these whatsoever unfortunetly.

I would suggest read your local laws yourself
Where do I find this out?