Meet Clover

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is Clover, my latest foster kitty, i never though I would say that a tortie is stunning, but she is. She is only 3, bless her (so young for this house), and needs to be an only cat, but i doubt she will be waiting long

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
she really is pretty - over here, we'd call her a calico! y'all say tortie w/white, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone - I thought calico's had more white than she does?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

Thanks everyone - I thought calico's had more white than she does?
i think it depends on locality, to some extent. here's what The Messy Beast says: One effect of white spotting in tortoiseshell cats is to change the pattern from brindled to patched. Tortie cats with little or no white tend to have brindled coats. However, the more white there is, the more the black and white will also be separated out into patches instead of being intermingled. The phenomenon of tortie-and-white cats having better defined patches of colour is familiar to most cat lovers.
going by that, yours would be a calico, since she's patched rather than brindled...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I think a calico looks like, and Clover doesn't have as mcuh white

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i know... it really depends on locality.
my Java is most definitely a calico - she has lots of white.
The Messy Beast has this, in addition to my previous post:
TORTOISESHELL-AND-WHITE (CALICO) CATS
The white patches in tortie-and-white (tricolour, calico) cats is caused by the piebald spotting gene discussed in Beautiful Bicolours. This is a semi-dominant gene with very variable expression ranging from nearly all white to nearly all coloured with only a few white hairs. The gene affects the embryo cells which will become pigment-producing skin cells. These cells are initially formed along the "neural crest" - the embryo's backbone area - and migrate to all over the body during formation of the skin. Where these pigment producing cells fail to get in position before the skin is fully formed, there will be areas of skin which lack pigment producing cells i.e. white areas. White areas are usually the areas furthest from the cat's backbone - paws, belly, chest and chin - these areas take longest to reach.
i know that in the UK, what we in the U.S. call 'calicos' they often call 'tortie & white'. i really think it just depends....