For once, being lazy saved me money!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, and I admit right off the bat that I got a teensy bit annoyed about it, but the end result was good!

Yesterday I stopped in a store here in our town just to look and shop a bit, retail therapy, I guess. I've been shopping in this store since it opened here in 2005, and in branches of it in three other towns. They have neat clothes, and good prices.....I've been known to drop in our local store two or three times a week. And I use my debit card 99% of the time. Yesterday, out of the blue, the checkout girl asked to see some ID. I told her no she couldn't, that I was not walking all the way across the parking lot and back in the scorching heat just to show her my license, just to void the sale and put the stuff back.

I don't mind showing an ID, mind you, and if I know a store will ask, I always take it with me. But to suddenly start asking for it, for petes sake, put a sign up at the door or something (even though after years in retail I know that most folks can't/won't read them). Funny thing is, after I got back in my car and started thinking about it, I got madder and madder, lol! Don't know why it annoyed me so badly later, but by the time I got home I was just furious
. Must be hormones

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will never understand why people get upset that someone else is watching their back! Would you rather she took your credit/debit card from someone obviously not you, and allowed them to charge several thousand dollars because they didn't ID 'you"?

I've had someone try to open a credit card in my name. If the store hadn't ID'ed them and caught the phony license I would still be fighting to get my identity back! I have also saved innocent people thousands of dollars because I ID'ed the customer in my line.

ID me all you want!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to be ID'd. I even write on my credit cards, "Please check ID", instead of signing them. Then again, I always take my purse with me, so my ID is always handy.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KittenKrazy, what strikes me first is what in the Sam Hill are you doing leaving your license in the car?
Texas has a new new law requiring everyone entering a public school have their driver license scanned to verify that they aren't a registered sex offender. You would not believe the number of people who drive to school, leaving their license in the car or even at home! What are they thinking?

Second, ID me all you want. I prefer not to have the license number written on checks, so I usually use my credit cards.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

I will never understand why people get upset that someone else is watching their back! Would you rather she took your credit/debit card from someone obviously not you, and allowed them to charge several thousand dollars because they didn't ID 'you"?

I've had someone try to open a credit card in my name. If the store hadn't ID'ed them and caught the phony license I would still be fighting to get my identity back! I have also saved innocent people thousands of dollars because I ID'ed the customer in my line.

ID me all you want!
I agree totally. In fact when a sales clerk asks me, I make sure to thank them and tell them that I really appreciate them checking to make sure that it's actually me doing the buying and not someone else who has my card.

And if they don't ask, I make them check, and tell them why.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I leave my license because I want to, because I can, and because truthfully, it's no show that you are the owner of said credit card in the first place....if you have the bank card forged, you can just as easily have the drivers license to match.

That being said, its not the point...I don't mind being ID'd, and I think if you read my plost, you'd have seen that I told you that. What I do mind, is a sudden change in store policy without any sort of posting, you know, like the signs they post of what things you must have to write a check? Sheesh, chill out guys!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

I leave my license because I want to, because I can, and because truthfully, it's no show that you are the owner of said credit card in the first place....if you have the bank card forged, you can just as easily have the drivers license to match.

That being said, its not the point...I don't mind being ID'd, and I think if you read my plost, you'd have seen that I told you that. What I do mind, is a sudden change in store policy without any sort of posting, you know, like the signs they post of what things you must have to write a check? Sheesh, chill out guys!
I'll jump in here... in this day and age when ID theft is so huge, yes, people are going to balk at your attitude about refusing.... I'm a cashier in a fabric store... we've had folks try to pass bad cash, stolen cards, etc... don't ask me about bad checks. If you're leaving your ID in your car, would your attitude change if your car had been stolen or broken into and your purse/ID stolen, while you were inside? There are lots of "what ifs" here. If I know I'm going to use my card, my ID comes with me, period. Less chance of it getting stolen.

That said, do you know for a fact that this was a fluke of that cashier asking? Maybe they just had a training seminar about ID theft and told their cashiers to ask for ID... which is an excellent thing to do and ALL cashiers should be doing it. I do, without exception. They don't know you personally... for all that cashier knows you could have a stolen card. And by your refusing to show ID, you've just caused yourself a bit of trouble. Seriously. From a cashier's POV, if someone refused to show me their ID, I'd be calling security ASAP. That's a red flag from our side of the counter.

Also, maybe she was a new cashier and was going by the book according to her training? Maybe the others weren't following procedure in times past when they didn't ask for it. Is your card signed, or do you have "See ID" on it? If it's blank, you're inviting ID theft. Technically, stores shouldn't even take your card if it is blank on the back. It says, on nearly every card I've looked at, "Not valid unless signed."

I know I'm not alone in this, judging from the other responses, but you were in the wrong by not having your ID, so yes, people are going to get on your case. If only for your OWN safety. You cannot assume that your ID will not get stolen. That's a naive line of thought that will only get you into some nasty, expensive trouble. From here on out, take your ID. Every time. Last I checked, the drivers licenses are the same size as your debit/credit card, so it's not like you're hauling something huge into the store.

For the other responders: something one of my customers said once made me smile. She said that since her card says "See ID" she expects to get asked, but when they don't, she finishes her transaction, then walks over to a manager and lets them know that this cashier did not check her ID. If we make management aware that the cashiers are not following procedures, then they will hopefully do their jobs are retrain their cashiers.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would rather have them check my ID than not. It is very easy for someone to steal your identity and if they do - be prepared! It can take YEARS to restore your identity, and even then, it may not be like it used to be.

I had a classmate who it had happened to and he explained how much of a hassle and inconvenience it was to try and have it restored. The sad thing was that he knew the person who stole it and it was someone close to him.

The way you responded could have sent red flags up everywhere. Most people who do steal identities will try to get out of showing an ID anyway possible.

I wish more stores would ask, but sadly, there are very few around here who do check ID.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I work retail and I check signatures on credit cards and I ask for I.D if I can't read the signature or it doesn't match
I hate when people get mad at me for it

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get asked every once in a great while, I'm really hoping I don't get asked anytime soon, cause I'm not really sure where my ID is to be honest

I'm pretty sure it's in a pocket of a pair of dirty jeans, I'm horrible for leaving my debit card/credit card/ID in my pockets and then not having them when I need them
I have a purse, I just don't carry it

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is a little OT, but I have always wondered something... If people steal debit/credit cards, why do they go into stores to try and use them? It is really easy to use them online...! If they have the actual card, it is ridiculously easy to use them online without getting caught or ever having to show ID (that they don't have). Crooks just seem dumb to me.

That said, I love it when people ask me for my ID! I always have it with me.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I NEVER sign my cards. I write "SEE ID" in the signature area. That way, if someone steals the card, they don't have my signature, too. And I always thank anyone who actually asks to see my ID.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't understand why anyone would get aggravated over being asked for ID to protect their own interests. So what if they changed the policy? Times are changing too. Why leave your ID out in the car when it's a given that a cashier might ask for it? Just save everyone the aggravation next time & bring it, I don't understand what the big deal is. It's not like it weighs 10 pounds & hurts your shoulder to carry it in your purse...

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also thank anyone clerk who asks for my ID, and follows proper procedure. It could be that it has always been the policy to ask for ID, but nobody was following it.

I used to write "please ask for picture ID" on the backs of cards, but I had one store clerk flat out refuse to honor the card saying that the card required a signature. Now I just sign them.