I am soooo excited!! *long*

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to post sooner but I wanted to make sure this was actually going to happen. I'm getting a new horse today!

I posted a few days ago in the lounge about Jet's hernia needing to be repaired. I could not find a vet willing to do it, so I started talking to some people. A guy raises Percheron crosses (which is what Jet is), and has a vet willing to do the surgery. He absolutely fell in love with her as well. So we gave Jet to him. It was very difficult to do, but it was the right decision and she will get her hernia taken care of this week.

Then there's Sienna who we are working with but she has a horse version of post traumatic stress disorder. So even though I'm working with her daily, it will be awhile before I can actually ride her. We're making great strides though and I have finally been able to actually sit on her, which is HUGE progress from a couple months ago.

I've never bought a horse before, all the ones I've had were given to me/rescues. I received a portion of my Grandmother's estate after she passed away. I bought the essential things that I needed but still had some money left over... and an empty stall.

So John and I talked about it and he agreed it would be good to find a horse that we can both ride, and then eventually when Sienna is trained we can trail ride together. He also wanted a horse that we can teach to drive. His dad has the big draft horses but John seems to feel more comfortable with the "smaller" saddle horses.

So I sat down and made a list of what I was looking for. Something 14.3-16hh, gelding or mare, 4-10 years old, and already at least started under saddle with no really big issues to have to work out. I found an ad for a horse nearby and the first thing that jumped out at me is that he was my dream horse entirely!

My dream horse has always been a black horse with at least two white feet and white on it's face. I've always preferred geldings as well.

And that's exactly what I found! He's around 15-15.1hh... will have to measure to be positive, black (although slightly sun faded at the moment) with two white socks on his hind feet, a white star and snip. He is 5 years old and has already been shown in local shows, has been trail ridden extensively and has been ridden in a huge parade. He is still considered a little green because she hasn't been able to ride him daily, but he doesn't buck, rear, etc.

We went out to look at him yesterday and rather than riding him myself at first I opted to sit back and watch the owner ride him. That way I could see him move and see how he responded to her cues, etc.

He is the absolute sweetest horse. He'll follow you around all day like a dog, preferring to stay with you than go and graze. He loves attention and is so willing to please. He'll do anything you ask. He's broke but still a clean slate so that I can do anything I want with him. He's exactly what I wanted.

And the best part is, the price was right! She agreed to deliver him even, since our trailer is too big to get into her property. I left her a deposit yesterday and she just called and providing everything goes well she'll bring him out here in about an hour!

I'm soooooo excited, I can't wait to have him home and start working with him. And this will give me a chance to be able to have a horse to pony Sienna around, which will help greatly with her training.

I'll hopefully have pictures later today!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

OMG Congrats! Has this little sweetie got a name? Or are you gonna call him something else?
Post piccies soon!
His current name is Chase, and the previous owner said he knows it but I just don't think it really fits him and I'm not a big fan of the name. I'm going to come up with something else. He got here safe and sound and is settling into his stall. He walked right in like he owned the place!

John's going to help me get pictures this evening when he gets home and I'll post them later!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

His current name is Chase, and the previous owner said he knows it but I just don't think it really fits him and I'm not a big fan of the name. I'm going to come up with something else. He got here safe and sound and is settling into his stall. He walked right in like he owned the place!

John's going to help me get pictures this evening when he gets home and I'll post them later!
if you can decide on a name w/a similar vowel sound, he'll probably adapt really quickly.
that said - they're smart. he'll learn a new name. all of my cats did!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's a cutie... I hate to say it though, he definitely looks more bay than black...Lol! I guess you won't really know till he sheds out again next spring...that will give you his 'actual' color...I would expect more 'bleaching' on his topline...but he is pretty dark there, so he may just be a really dark bay; I would expect his points to be 'less defined' as well, if he were a true black...

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
congratulations!
he is a fine looking fellow! i'm sure you and your husband are going to have great fun with him!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's awesome!!! He could be a smokey black like our mare
If he is it's really hard to keep them looking black. Otherwise Moewmmy is right and he's a dark bay. A gorgeous dark bay, you don't see many of those at all!

He's gorgeous! And what a beautiful face!

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is very nice looking. Almost looks like a dark bay. If he is black a good way to get his color nice is dark is to brush him everyday and keep him stalled during the daylight and let him out over night. We do this with our Palominos and Dark horses so they don't get sun bleached. The Palominos come out that gorgeous copper penny color by keeping them out of the sun.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

Here are some pictures!
You're right, he doesn't look like a Chase, but he is such a pretty boy!
He looks more like a Harvey or Barney sorta horse, but
I'm not much good with names! lol

you could call him Diablo (spanish for the devil, even though he's clearly not one!)

if you go to www.funhorsenames.com, they have some good ones if you can't decide

What a cutie. Give him a good squishin' from me!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous! Have fun with him
And I'm happy to hear good news about Jet's hernia too!