why do cat's...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because they want to share!
Really though, mother cats who are allowed outside (and even some who don't) will go catch stuff and bring it back for their kittens to help teach them to hunt and to feed them. Usually they start off small and will bring bugs.
As to why boy cats do it to, they just love their human parents and want to make sure we have food and learn to hunt for ourselves.

Indoor only cats apparently get the instinct a little confused and this is one reason why they fetch, most likely some cats don't understand why we keep throwing the toy they worked so hard to catch and kill for us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Because they want to share!
Really though, mother cats who are allowed outside (and even some who don't) will go catch stuff and bring it back for their kittens to help teach them to hunt and to feed them. Usually they start off small and will bring bugs.
As to why boy cats do it to, they just love their human parents and want to make sure we have food and learn to hunt for ourselves.

Indoor only cats apparently get the instinct a little confused and this is one reason why they fetch, most likely some cats don't understand why we keep throwing the toy they worked so hard to catch and kill for us.
LOL, my guess was the bird was alive, when either Sparkle or Glamorous bought it in! there was bird poo splattered everywhere, & blood in some place's on the carpet. it wasn't a very nice thing to wake up to, i tell you now!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eww!
Hydrogen peroxide will get blood stains out. As for the kitties catching stuff, there's only one solution to that.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Eww!
Hydrogen peroxide will get blood stains out. As for the kitties catching stuff, there's only one solution to that.
thank's, i eventually managed to get the blood, out of the carpet.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you know, we had the same problem with oliver when we put in a cat door. every night he would bring in catch (usually a small mouse) and most of the time it was still alive. It drove my parents insane and finally they just took out the door, which is really to bad, not only did it help the cats, but it was wonderful for the dog, since she has to go out to use the restroom and we didn't have to leave her out all day while we were all gone....

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

you know, we had the same problem with oliver when we put in a cat door. every night he would bring in catch (usually a small mouse) and most of the time it was still alive. It drove my parents insane and finally they just took out the door, which is really to bad, not only did it help the cats, but it was wonderful for the dog, since she has to go out to use the restroom and we didn't have to leave her out all day while we were all gone....
hehe, i don't mind them bringing in gift's for me usually, but there was a right mess with the bird.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was told that they bring the stuff in to help you learn to hunt but to also offer you a gift
my cousin's cat bring dead mice in but doesn't leave them where you can find them and you don't know their there until the stink starts

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mer636

I was told that they bring the stuff in to help you learn to hunt but to also offer you a gift
my cousin's cat bring dead mice in but doesn't leave them where you can find them and you don't know their there until the stink starts

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat's do it mostly for a gift.

My Forest brought me a dead bird once. Then one morning I caught him outside with a half alive shrew. I just turned around and closed the door to let "nature" take it's course.

Those are the only two things in a year he has brought me that once had a pulse.

Forest can't catch anything. So he brings me leaves, and branches. I know it sounds strange but it's his "thing". At first I couldn't figure out why these big leaves were by my door in the morning till I found teeth marks in them. I collected them for awhile. I thought he was so cute. Well I still do.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Zane has brought me presents of mice several times. When Father was alive, he told me that once he saw Zane chase, catch, and kill a mouse right in front of him--and then sick it up again.

This is a famous mosaic from Pompeii: http://www.frammentiart.com/gallery/...ID=76&pageNum=
cool!

Originally Posted by Breal76

Cat's do it mostly for a gift.

My Forest brought me a dead bird once. Then one morning I caught him outside with a half alive shrew. I just turned around and closed the door to let "nature" take it's course.

Those are the only two things in a year he has brought me that once had a pulse.

Forest can't catch anything. So he brings me leaves, and branches. I know it sounds strange but it's his "thing". At first I couldn't figure out why these big leaves were by my door in the morning till I found teeth marks in them. I collected them for awhile. I thought he was so cute. Well I still do.
am guessing Glamorous bring's in the dead/alive animal's!
Sparkle seem's alot quieter/lazy, i've seen her bring in leave's/branche's.