Dust free cat litter for asthmatic cat?

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What might be some good litters to use for my (newly diagnosed) asthmatic cat?

What about something like Swheat scoop? I know about Yesterday's News, but honestly, I hate that stuff! Is there anything else?

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never heard of that.
What did the Vet recomend?

mbrcpr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've used Swheat Scoop before. Your pet store should be able to order it in 20# bags if they don't carry it in that size already. Much more cost-effective like that. I'd still use it except it just got too expensive with all my kitties and litter boxes. We use a "low dust" clay but it's still pretty dusty for an asthmatic, I'd think.

Another option would be Feline Pine, although it's much cheaper to go to a farm supply store like Tractor Supply Company and buy 40# bags of "Equine Fresh." It's exactly the same thing, except the pellets are a tad bigger, it's made for bedding horse stalls. Costs around $5 for a 40# bag. I've used it for both horses and cats and although I find it a bit messy for cats, and it's more difficult to scoop the box because the pellets are too big to fit through the slots on a scoop, it does work well and isn't dusty.

Another option, although I wouldn't try it if your cat is long-haired, would be to give aspen shavings a try. A long haired cat would make a gigantic mess with it. They do have some dust, but unless your cat roots around in the litter with his nose, it shouldn't really get stirred up from being used as litter box filler.

Plain sand would be an option as long as your cat doesn't vigorously dig around in the box, too.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally found Swheat Scoop to be too dusty as well. I switched to World's Best Cat Litter and have to say I love it. It's pricey but when scooped daily it doesn't need to be completely dumped for a much longer time than other litters so a bag of litter lasts me much longer and actually ends up costing me less than any other brand I've used. It controls odour very well (our litter box is in the bedroom at the bottom of our bed) and there really, honestly is no odour unless of course the cat has just used the box (same as when a human uses the bathroom - the smell soon dissipates).

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also found Swheat Scoop dusty.

I've heard of people with asthmatic cats using Dr Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra. It's the least dusty of the clay clumping litters IMO.

Otherwise World's Best is the only other practically dust free litter I can think of.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Nature's Miracle for my kitties and love it. It's dust free, clumps well and is completely flushable. The only problem is that it does tend to track more than the clay-based litters since it's lighter.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet told me to avoid pine based litters (like feline pine) for my asthmatic cat because pine can be a problematic allergen. Also, I've read that feline pine breaks down into sawdust after it gets wet, so I don't imagine it's a good idea as far as dust goes.

I have used Yesterday's News, and it also breaks down after getting wet. You say you don't like it; have you tried it in a sifting box? Not a regular sifting box, but one with space between the grate and the real bottom of the pan. You put the YN (or feline pine) on top, and when it gets wet with urine and then dries, it breaks up and sifts to the bottom.

I've made a different choice, though; have you heard of The Breeze from Tidy Cats? It's inert pellets (unfortunately, I have been completely unable to get any information about the contents of the pellets) over a grate that drains into a tray with a urine pad. There are small pieces of sand/dust that come from the pellets in the pellet bag, but they quickly fall to the bottom and don't appear to ever be airborne when cats are using the box. It's not the cheapest solution, and it took a long transition to get my cats used to, but they seem to enjoy it and my asthmatic cat hasn't coughed in months! (She also had a corticosteroid shot, but she got that some time ago. I've been using Yesterday's News and transitioning to the Breeze in this time period.)

Here's the official page.

You should be able to get the box and the refills from WalMart, but I don't live by one so ordered mine from amazon.com.

When/if you buy/order them, be sure to buy an extra bag of pellets at the same time. They give you one bag, which is enough to go into the Breeze, but just barely. It's a system that relies on a fairly thin layer of pellets to allow the urine to easily flow through, and that, in addition to the fact that it's pellets, makes it hard for cats to adjust. So it helps to have at least that much in the box, and you'll have to sprinkle some pellets in with your old litter to help you cats figure out what the pellets are for. You may have to mix a lot of Breeze litter into your old litter, increasing the proportion slowly, in order to get your cats to transition.

There have been, by my count, three threads on this forum about the breeze
The first thread, from a skeptical early adopter. Includes pictures at the top.
The second one, started by a big fan. Includes pictures, on page 2.
The most recent one, started by a hopeful person who isn't having a lot of luck with the transition.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dexter has had asthma attacks that had to have emergency treatment right after using dusty clay litter.

IMO, I also think that the added ingredient, that causes clay litter clump, builds up in cat's lungs. If they are prone to asthma, that can cause, over time, long term bronchial tree inflammation, with more serious acute asthma attacks.

No litter is perfect, but we are using Worlds Best Cat Litter Original ...
it has no added scent.
Although WBCL does have some dust, at least it's natural and not very bad, compared to clay from any brand.

Good luck with your sweetie.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use chicken laying crumbles (chicken feed for chicks). It is just like sorles best at a quarter of the price, going up though due to corn. $17.00 for 50 pounds. Not much dust and natural. Get it at a feed store, with no antibiotics in it..

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I use chicken laying crumbles (chicken feed for chicks). It is just like sorles best at a quarter of the price, going up though due to corn. $17.00 for 50 pounds. Not much dust and natural. Get it at a feed store, with no antibiotics in it..
I wish I could use the crumbles, but I cannot lift that much weight so I have to pay more for the WBCL.

I am hoping that rising corn prices in the US, don't affect the price of WB to much.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I wish I could use the crumbles, but I cannot lift that much weight so I have to pay more for the WBCL.

I am hoping that rising corn prices in the US, don't affect the price of WB to much.
I get the feed guy to put it in the car, and then when home I slide it onto a dolly and wheel into the kitchen. In the kitchen I scoop half of it into the waste can with a lid that I store it in, the rest of the bag gets tucked away until needed. At this point I can pick it up and pour the rest into the wastecan. It lasts around 4 months for three cats, so it is only a pain 4 or 5 times a year.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I get the feed guy to put it in the car, and then when home I slide it onto a dolly and wheel into the kitchen. In the kitchen I scoop half of it into the waste can with a lid that I store it in, the rest of the bag gets tucked away until needed. At this point I can pick it up and pour the rest into the wastecan. It lasts around 4 months for three cats, so it is only a pain 4 or 5 times a year.
That is a great idea...
I will check out the options that might work for me.