Some people sure are trusting

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are having a neighborhood garage sale Tomorrow and Saturday. Some people are already setting stuff outside today. That's just asking for somebody to come take stuff. Are neighborhood is pretty decent but you just never know. Case in point, my parents live in a decent neighborhood and when I was still living there my car got broke into twice.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around here, that'd be BIG trouble!

We were cleaning out a house to rearranged it, and got a mattress we decided to take to good will. So, until we finished cleaning, we left it by the house facing the street.

TEN minutes later these guys who didn't speak English drove by and took it! And we were right there!! It saved us a trip, but technically they stole it! Oi...

Hope that doesn't happen to you guys!

Good luck at the garage sale!

joliskaluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could they just not care if it gets stolen? I had a yard sale with some friends last weekend, and they had a couch that they left out in the hopes that someone would steal it so they didn't have to get rid of it.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally wouldn't leave anything out overnight here, though we do leave our car doors unlocked, and keys on the dash. There are places that have a bunch of plants and fruit and stuff for sale, and they leave it all out over night on a busy intersection corner. Maybe because it's busy, they aren't worried.

Crime is slowly making its way to this area though. North Charleston is really bad, one of the top 10 most dangerous cities of 100,000 people or something. Someone robbed a bank here in S'ville a few days ago, a few people were shot in an apt complex a mile away, etc. Oy vey. My house will be LOCKED and ALARMED! (But all the doors at the in-laws are unlocked, yeah I feel safe
)

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Around here, that'd be BIG trouble!

We were cleaning out a house to rearranged it, and got a mattress we decided to take to good will. So, until we finished cleaning, we left it by the house facing the street.

TEN minutes later these guys who didn't speak English drove by and took it! And we were right there!! It saved us a trip, but technically they stole it! Oi...

Hope that doesn't happen to you guys!

Good luck at the garage sale!
Around here that's the accepted sign that it's up for grabs. If you leave it outside, you want someone to take it and use it. Maybe it's the same thing there.

I don't really know what their not speaking English has to do with it though.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Around here that's the accepted sign that it's up for grabs. If you leave it outside, you want someone to take it and use it. Maybe it's the same thing there.

I don't really know what their not speaking English has to do with it though.
It's only the same thing here when it has a sign on it that says "FREE". That's very standard. A little less standard is if it's outside not being watched. Remember I said we were right there!

That's what them not speaking English has to do with it- we didn't just sit by and watch them "steal" our mattress. We tried to talk to them. We asked what they were doing, and said if they want it that's fine but to not just take it with us right there and not ask. Maybe they did speak English, but they sure did an authethic job of pretending to not understand us, if that's what it was!

We just let them go because had they asked we would have said fine. Just really made me gasp at the audacity.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
people now a days don't care if it's your property, their property,someone else's property as long as it's there and able to be carried it's theirs..

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a small town of 3,000 people. Coming from Denver to live here it is such a big change. I am getting spoiled to the laid back life I live now. There is very little crime and people are very trusting my little town. I would feel safe to leave garage sale stuff out the night before. I have a working maytag dryer that I wish somebody would take and get use out of before it gets ruined. I think I will put a free sign on it and see if it disappears.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha! In my neighborhood, if it's not nailed down and locked, it's gone. Then again, sometimes if it is locked it gets broken into.

Good luck with your garage sale!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I drag stuff out to the end of our driveway in hope it gets taken before garbage day and sometimes it does!! When I have my plant sale I have to set them all out the day before but we have a bit longer driveway and someone would have to be pretty bold to swipe stuff.

mz kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

I personally wouldn't leave anything out overnight here, though we do leave our car doors unlocked, and keys on the dash. There are places that have a bunch of plants and fruit and stuff for sale, and they leave it all out over night on a busy intersection corner. Maybe because it's busy, they aren't worried.

Crime is slowly making its way to this area though. North Charleston is really bad, one of the top 10 most dangerous cities of 100,000 people or something. Someone robbed a bank here in S'ville a few days ago, a few people were shot in an apt complex a mile away, etc. Oy vey. My house will be LOCKED and ALARMED! (But all the doors at the in-laws are unlocked, yeah I feel safe
)
Holy crap! You leave your cars unlocked with the keys inside

I live in a gated community in a rather exclusive part of town and still would never tempt fate. Try explaining that to your insurance company if the car is stolen.

May I ask why you do that?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our house and cars never get locked. I wish they did, but its not my house.

In the small town I used to live in, my cousins house got broken into right after Christmas. She had posted pictures of her new house on facebook and some guy saw it and knew what they had and exactly where everything was in their house. They stole over $10,000 worth of stuff and now her kids are terrified to even go to bed.