What symptoms did your cat show right before giving birth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed a lot of threads in this forum are by people wanting to know if their cat is going to go into labour soon. In some threads I've read people say their cat was very vocal and there was plenty of signals right before birth, some had cats who had discharge or other symptoms up to two weeks before delivering, some noticed the queen stopped eating, others took temperatures and noticed a drop, and other people had cats who showed no symptoms and they just woke up in the morning to some kittens. I am just wondering about everyone's stories, and thought it would be an interesting thread to start! So... what's your story?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Meeko wanted Coco with her when she went in labor. She just had the discharge the day before. She would pace and was vocal. Coco was at my Dad when she had her Kittens. She looked for a place to have them and was put in the bathroom a few days before. Whiskers had a disharge the night she had her Kittens. Whiskers was 29 years ago. Coco and Meeko were 6 years ago. Coco ate alot before she had hers. Meeko didnt want to eat at all.

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shinobi got very clingy, and very restless. Didn't want me out of her sight, but couldn't sit still in one room with me either. She also got very vocal!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I fostered a cat about 4 years ago. I was really clueless about what to look for so I never checked to see if there was discharge or what her temperature was or anything. I took her home from the SPCA and (after I coaxed her out from under the bed) she started to look for a nest immediately. I had been told by the SPCA that she was maybe 3 weeks pregnant, which was really wrong look back since she was showing and you don't show until 5 weeks! Maybe they had meant to say she had 3 weeks left... Anyways because she was nesting, I decided to get out my dog cage and set up a nest for her. She went in right away and spent a lot of time in there. She was also very affectionate and purred a lot, which I didn't know was a sign then since I didn't know the cat, but I know now that she is a very shy cat normally! Anyways, that was all she did, she was not vocal and not acting too weird. Two mornings after I brought her home, to my complete suprise since I thought we had weeks left, she had given birth to a kitten. I thought she was done but then about 10 minutes later she started meowing loudly and had a second. So the only meowing she did was when she was actually pushing one out.

I'll post my current fosters story once she's actually delivered!

catmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abstract

Shinobi got very clingy, and very restless. Didn't want me out of her sight, but couldn't sit still in one room with me either. She also got very vocal!
Was this right before or the days before giving birth?

bonnyhop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple of hours before she had her kittens our cat tried to take two kittens we have into her nesting area by neck scuff.They're 10 weeks old so it was really quite funny.
She did pick a nesting spot though,a giant box turned on it's side that I had gotten for packing a few things away.There really wasn't any other signs.She's a very vocal cat to begin with so that wasn't really a sign,if fact,she's name after her meow.When she meows it sounds like "Maaahhh" so that's what we call her.
All the cats that we have had that have given birth have done so within an hour so were fortunate not to have the long labors.

clueless

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
CatMomma, can u kindof describe how she purred and everything?? Lol

.....cause my cat is VERY close to having her kittens i think....and this morning i went down to the basement to give her food and check on her...and she was VERRRY affectionate. She kept licking me and wouldnt stop, haha, and she purred really loud...it was like part of the purr was really low and part was extremely high. And its like she was kindof panting...then she followed me to the door which has has never done.

Do you think this is a sign?

How long after your cat was clingy did she have her kitties??

I hope you can help, thanks

catmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't really remember, it was a few years ago, although I think it was just a normal purring. My current foster still hasn't delivered, so I don't know about that yet! I did read though that panting and heavy breathing is a sign of oncoming labour. Although I can also tell you that my current foster was doing this over a week ago and hasn't given birth yet!

nickers_luvr14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
our cat has been acting jumpy and more alert she is not relaxed and will not stay in one spot for a long period of time she seems to be hiding a little more than usual she has been panting too we do know for sure that she is pregnant cuz her nipple seem swollen and there is dry milk on them i need ur opinions............. IS SHE ON THE VERGE OF HAVING KITTENS??????????? if so

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nickers_luvr14

our cat has been acting jumpy and more alert she is not relaxed and will not stay in one spot for a long period of time she seems to be hiding a little more than usual she has been panting too we do know for sure that she is pregnant cuz her nipple seem swollen and there is dry milk on them i need ur opinions............. IS SHE ON THE VERGE OF HAVING KITTENS??????????? if so
Hmm...those are some pretty definate signs...its very likely that she's have them in the next little while. Watch to see if she starts nesting anywhere.
Good luck!
Keep us updated!

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Coral stated scratching at the bottom of the closet 2 hours before she gave birth to the 1st one. She didn't meow or pant. She stopped eating only a few hours before too. I definatly noticed her being very lazy the night before.

cat-tastrophe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat Tiara was very clingy while she was in labor with her 1st litter. She wanted to have her babies in my sister's lap! lol
With her 2nd litter, she just went into her nest and the next thing I knew, she was giving birth!

lucys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well basically, my cat spends alot of time in alot of different places, so im not sure where she's going to have them, as soon as i get home i want to check on her but i never know where to look, and im not sure when shes due?! help?
Thank You.
Lucy x

fosswd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just had her kittens 2 weeks ago. First litter for her and I! I didn't know what to expect. She became very affectionate starting the night before.
She was restless too. She would go from my lap to my husband's and then down to cuddle with the dog! I have some cute pictures of her and the dog cuddling.

The next morning she was the same way. Then at 10:15 she had the first one on the living room floor. I was in the shower but the dog was helping, he brought her his favorite bone.

Oh, I did notice that she felt extra warm the night before too. But those were the only signs.

Wendy

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kiki: No signs at all, just went into the box, and had them!

Winnie: In box all day before

Boots: Nothing much, just her water broke and it soaked her, then kittens came within 30 min!

Not to exciting

tigger_2801

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For De there were three clear stages before she went into labour. I was worried I wouldn't know when, but it was pretty obvious. There was a change in her shape, her behaviour and how she moved about a week before hand.
She felt very warm and was loads more affectionate than usual for a couple of days before. Her belly also changed shape (it looked like the babies were a lot lower and further back).
The morning she had them she became very restless and vocal. She had chosen to nest upstairs, and a couple of hours before kept going to the stairs and meowing (but not her normal meow, and really distressed, long meow). She wouldn't settle until we followed her upstairs and she went and led down near her box. I sat down fussing her and she was purring loudly and rolling over for me to rub her belly (which she normally hates), and every time I stopped would let out that same meow.
When she got closer you could see visible waves of contraction and she panted with her mouth open a lot, and this is when she started getting discharge.

pbsj_1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Echo my cat went through 3 signs over a week also.
First sign was that she wanted to be in my face 24 7.
Then two days before she gave birth she started having slight discharge.
Witch I knew it was coming soon.
Then the night before she was up down all around the bedroom. I woke up to a kitten crying that morning.

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sadie was 100% her normal self for her pregnancy. A few hours befor the birth, she stood up, startled and started meowing non-stop. It reminded me of a dog barking. She ran to the bedroom. I joined her and she was all over me, then in the nest, then back on me. Meowing the WHOLE time, and wanting lots of affection. She also had a lot of discharge. Light pink to clear. It got on everything! Then when she was really close it changed to drips of red blood.

kittykat81407

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat hasn't given birth yet and i dont know when she will. my dad says that she getting ready to have them and she hasnt shown any signs she just wants me to rub her stomach! i have a box and everything ready just in case!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant wait to have kittenens!!!!!!!!!!!    

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sophie's only clue was that she started to nest 2 days prior. Fluffy up bed covers, blankets and clean clothes.  I had another momma who neurotically looked for a good hiding place to give birth. Found her in a crawl space storage in labour. The first time moms seem more neurotic then the ones that have done it many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.