Clueless, Please Help!

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all i'd like to say hello to you all. I ran across this site while searching google about cat pregnancy. Seems like an awesome site with alot of helpful people!

I have been searching and trying to educate myself for the past few days about cat pregnancy and what to expect and they upcoming signs that i should be watching out for. I have found alot of great information that has been very helpful but I still have absolutely no idea of approx. how far along my cat (Buttons) is and approx. how much time she has left. This is all very new to me and I am completely lost, lol.

Buttons is a very mysterious cat. She hardly ever comes around anyone...she is very secretive. A couple of weeks ago, we noticed that her nipples were starting to protrude and she started gaining weight, she is a very small/skinny cat other then the slight bulge. My problem is i have no idea how long she was like that before we noticed. We live on a farm and she used to come and go as she pleased, but the last few weeks she has stayed in the house. She has become EXTREMELY cuddley and affectionate the last week and the last few days she has done nothing but wander around aimlessly and being quite vocal....not pain vocal, just a low high pitched "meow" and every once in a while she seems to be agitated and all of a sudden get a huge energy burst and take off like a bat outta hell...kinda cute actually...lol.

I have made her a "bed" to birth in and keep reminding her of where it is ( in my bedroom ) ...but of course she seems to rather lay under my bed. Last night and today she has really seemed to be restless. If she wasnt sleeping she was roaming everywhere. She has also seemed to be doing alot of cleaning of herself - but this has not really been on her backside, its been all over - which she never really did constantly as she is doing now.

Her belly is hard on both sides. I've tried to check her out today to see if there is anything to be seen but she has VERY long fuzzy hair and she wont sit still enough for me to check her out.

Her nipples are large, with no hair around them anymore and are a light pink to almost white.

I know that it'll happen when it happens and thats okay, but i'd like to have at least some clue if its even close?!?!?! lol

Can anyone give me some tips to help me figure out just how far along she may be??

I can take pic's and post if that will help anyone.

Thanks so much.........Im so excited and cant wait!!!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buttons is a very pretty girl! Welcome to TCS and the Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care Forum. If you haven't already, you might want to read this post to get prepared for delivery. There are a lot of knowledgable people who frequent this forum who have either gone through having kittens with their girls or are getting ready to, so hopefully they will come by and give you their input too!

The best thing I can tell you is what you already know. She will have them when she has them and not a moment before. *grin* It sounds like you've done all the right things; making her a nest to deliver in, etc., so now just sit back and wait.

The quick darting around might be because she is feeling the babies move around some in there, I know my Lexus would be sound asleep and you could actually SEE those little muggers in there doing the Mambo ... and then all of a sudden, she would just fly across the room and lick the sides of her belly once she stopped. *LOL* It was kind of funny to watch the first several times it happened, but once she got used to it, it didn't spook her anymore.

If she is feeling the babies move around, then it is probably about 10 days to two weeks off of the delivery date, although it is hard for me, sitting here some other place where I can't see her, to say for certain. Cats are such individuals and no two ever seem to do the same things or act the same ways.

Please keep us updated on her progress and if you have any questions, don't hesistate to ask us ... there is bound to be someone around with an answer for you.

Best of luck,

GayeF

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your quick replies! I have been trying to see and feel for kitten movement but i have not seen any or felt any as of yet.
Thanks so much for the link to the info..and i will keep ya all posted and if something comes up I know where to turn for help!!

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS.

Originally Posted by Katch4

I have made her a "bed" to birth in and keep reminding her of where it is ( in my bedroom ) ...but of course she seems to rather lay under my bed.
Is it feasible for you to temporarily barricade the area under your bed so that she can't get to it? Cats seem to have a tendency to give birth underneath the bed, and/or move the kittens underneath the bed, neither of which is really a good idea. Hopefully she would then prefer to use the birthing area that you have set up for her.

Good luck!

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

Hello and welcome to TCS.

Is it feasible for you to temporarily barricade the area under your bed so that she can't get to it? Cats seem to have a tendency to give birth underneath the bed, and/or move the kittens underneath the bed, neither of which is really a good idea. Hopefully she would then prefer to use the birthing area that you have set up for her.

Good luck!
Yeah i was thinking of doing that cause having her give birth or move the kittens under the bed is the last thing i want to happen!!

I have set up a few extra places/boxes for her around the house in her favorite spots , like under the coffee table in the living room ...hopefully all goes well.

Today she is quite the freak...lol - She will be laying on her side at one minute and running and flippin around the next...then as the other post said, stopping to lick her sides. Every once in a while she kinda crashes into the wall or the table legs, getting worried she may hurt herself, lol

I noticed a few times today that she was acting a bit like she was in heat...Is that normal??

Thanks again!

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey Katch, whereabouts are you in SK? I'm in Saskatoon currently, but moving to Martensville next weekend. I too, am anticipating kittens in the next week to week and a half.

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skewch

Hey Katch, whereabouts are you in SK? I'm in Saskatoon currently, but moving to Martensville next weekend. I too, am anticipating kittens in the next week to week and a half.
Hey there! I am currently in Rocanville - which is an hour south of Yorkton.
Just moved a year ago from northern Manitoba.
I think Martensville is around 5 hrs or so from here...too bad not closer we could go through this together

I am now at the point where I am second guessing Buttons being pregnant -lol- even though the size of her sides, and her enlarged nipples , expecially the back ones, are telling me that she is - I swear to god im gonna drive myself INSANE!!

Last night she keeped me up darn near all night cause she kept going into the litter box ...I checked on her but she was not using it for its intended purpose...just frantically scratching around.....Im gonna lose my mind not knowing..lol

Wanna come over for coffee?? lol jk

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The litter-box thing may be a sign of impending delivery. You can hope, anyway, right?

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Katch, yes Rocanville is a little out of the way of my route to Tim's, but I'm sure you have things all covered
My Lily is so huge that there's no question she's pregnant, and last night I felt them giving her a good kicking, I could also see them moving above where my hand was resting. I'm so excited about this, but at the same time, scared because we're moving next
Saturday and I have to keep watching her to see any signs of her going into labour earlier than her due date of the 30th. This is almost as bad as waiting to have your own baby!!

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I sure hope the litter box thing is a good sign! I watched her this morning and she just had the upper part of her body in there digging away....hope she doesnt decided thats where she wants to have the babies!! lol

My girl is getting quite huge as well now...there is no second guessing anymore, I have seen the movement the last couple days here now, and its exactly as I have read, almost alien like...very cool!

Hopefully yours has hers before you move so you dont have that stress hanging over you! I couldnt imagine adding that stress on top of everything else!! Keep me posted for sure!! I take mine to the vet on wednesday to get checked out and have an xray, so i'll have more of a good idea on when to expect the cuties!! I've had 2 kids myself..and i think im more nervous and stressed out with my cat then i was with my kids LOL

PS- i have to drive at least an hour for Tim's..........boooooooo lol

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your cat sounds at about the same gestation as my Lily. The movement of the babies is just so exciting. I am keeping an eye on her, but the other cats seem to know for sure we're up to something with all the mess, boxes, less things around etc. I bought 2 more crates the other day, so at least I don't have to make 5 trips with the cats. It's going to be an interesting week, that's for sure.

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for her to try and do anything she can to get outside late in the pregnancy?? For weeks now she has wanted nothing to do with going outside and now for the past 2 days she is trying sooooooo hard to get outside and almost escaped last night due to the fact that we had company - one of their kids left the door open- luckly i caught her and locked her up in my bedroom ....but she is sure trying!!

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm....wonder if maybe it was all the noise and kids running around that made her nervous and want to get out...
My hubby and I have 2 kids , 14 & 7 but there were 2 extra adults here and 5 extra kids lol..
Her whole demeaner has changed quite a bit the last few days - she is still very affectionate but only if called..other then that she stays away, where as before she was following me around...She is wandering around quite a bit more, going into places she never really went before and now not sleeping as much as she had been the past few days. She still eats, though not as much, and no matter how much fresh water i put out for her multiple times a day she continues to try and drink out of the toilet, lol - so I had to train my family to CLOSE THE LID!!! lol
She's rollin around alot and now doesnt mind too much to get a belly rub ..she stretches her back legs right out and leans into me and flops right over which is great cause I get to feel all that movement!
Anyway, with all these changes just in the past few days...and reading on how cats behave during the later stages, i just hope she makes it to the vet for wednesday!!