Read - seizure of animal food products at a PETCO distribution center.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michigan is also one of the states. Thank goodness I don't buy my pet food from them or even shop there for that matter.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FL is not included but I should be careful next time I shop there(although I don't often)

Thanks for posting.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my food from the source (a Petco only brand, too), thus cutting out the middle man - Petco.

I'm guessing someone was being cheap and not fumigating. The good news is that all pet food pallets are wrapped in plastic wrap and many pet food bags are plastic lined now. So chances are that if the bag looks fine you shouldn't have to worry - just wash as suggested or dump the food into another container.

It makes one wonder, though, how many warehouses for food (pet and human) slack like this?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

So chances are that if the bag looks fine you shouldn't have to worry - just wash as suggested or dump the food into another container.
i always do that, anyway - keeps fresh longer!
i do shop more at petsmart than petco - i think i got the 2 confused! i haven't bought food from petco in several months. got some katz-n-flocken there [that my inside snobs turned up their noses at] because they didn't have California Naturals [which i was interested in trying].
the bag i bought yesterday & the cans i bought last week came from petsmart, not petco.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cant say I am suprised as a number of months ago ( up to about a yr) at a meeting I was warned about mice being found in some taped up bags in stores

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Mmmm, sounds cheaper! I am curious, how do you do that?
I cheat! No, really though DH works at a plant that makes several pet foods and are allowed certain amounts of dog and cat food to take home per month. We don't have a dog, so we get extra cat food or he trades with someone that does have a dog. We still have to buy wet food.

... that reminds me, where did I put that box of cat treats?

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only shop at petco whenever I get coupons, their products are little over-priced compared to elsewhere. I like petsmart better anyways.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shame on them. I don't go there much anyway but still. Shame Shame Shame.
From a company that has money to fix the problem no less.

materialsgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well isn't this just fabulous? I just started buying food at Petco a few weeks ago (because it's a brand that Petsmart doesn't sell). Well, the bag I just bought looked okay to me. Let's hope they clean up their act quickly.

ilovemy2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to work at a Petco in NY state as a demonstrator. The place was infested with mice at one point. The manager told me it was from the warehouse. There were chewed up bags of pet food & mouse crap everywhere. It was disgusting.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LUCKY!!!! LoL, thats neat though!

Originally Posted by strange_wings

I cheat! No, really though DH works at a plant that makes several pet foods and are allowed certain amounts of dog and cat food to take home per month. We don't have a dog, so we get extra cat food or he trades with someone that does have a dog. We still have to buy wet food.

... that reminds me, where did I put that box of cat treats?