Scary things

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the scariest, most heart stopping thing that ever happened to you, that turned out ok in the end?

I walked in from work, turned on the news, and the caption was "shooting at local pet store, one dead" and my SO's car was parked in front of it. He had a crummy day at work and left a little early to get fish supplies. My phone rang right then, and the caller ID said Waldo Pets. I didn't know whether it was him telling me he was ok or someone calling me to ID a body. I was almost too terrified to answer. I answered, and it was him telling me he was ok, and it was the robber that was shot and killed. I think that may be the only time in my life I actually dropped to my knees.
The cashier was some kind of martial arts guy, the robber got sloppy with his gun handling, so given the opportunity, the cashier grabbed his gun and shot him. My SO said he turned around and there was a gun in his face telling him to give him the wallet. A family was in there in the back, and the father started demanding to know what was going on, like he was going to do something about it, and my SO, not being able to think of anything short of knocking this clown out, grabbed his toddler and ran to a set of back stairs that was once used to transport liquor fro one building to the other. Thankfully he shut up and ran after the kid. He could have gotten them all killed.
His fellow miscreant called the cops and said his buddy just got shot at the pet store. No charges were filed.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, what a close call! SO deserves a party or something for keeping his wits about him!
These things get you thinking. I can't help but wonder if the man who had attempted robbery would've still followed through knowing that he was going to die. It's always so completely unnecessary.

I'm so glad for you that everyone is okay!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'd be absolutely terrified!! That's great everyone is okay though.

The scariest thing that happened to me was when I lost control of my car and it began spinning. My best friend and I kept screaming the "S" word, and then everything came to a sudden halt. We had hit a telephone pole, which indented my car about 5" inward, a foot in front of where my best friend was sitting. Her glasses ended up in my trunk somehow. My heart stopped while we were spinning, and even after we bounced a foot off the pole and stopped.

Nothing quite as horrible as your experience. I'd still have trouble getting my heart to beat normally!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a close call. I'm so glad your SO is okay, as well as the other innocent people in the pet store!

You don't want to know the scariest things that have happened to me; we would have to go back to my violently abusive childhood so let's not go there.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Heres kinda of a creepy thing that happened a couple years ago. I was keeping my Datsun in a storage unit and the place where the storage units were was somewhat isolated and not well lit. Well it was after dark and I had just parked the Datsun back its in storage unit. My Dodge was sitting lengthwise along the fence about 30-40 feet behind the storage unit. Well after shutting the storage unit door I turned around and starting walking back to the other car and glanced up......and it looked like someone was sitting in the passenger seat!! I about freaked out!! It turned out to be a optical illusion caused by the lighting....but I still get the chills thinking about it. In fact, I got the chills just sitting here writing this.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

What is the scariest, most heart stopping thing that ever happened to you, that turned out ok in the end?

I walked in from work, turned on the news, and the caption was "shooting at local pet store, one dead" and my SO's car was parked in front of it. He had a crummy day at work and left a little early to get fish supplies. My phone rang right then, and the caller ID said Waldo Pets. I didn't know whether it was him telling me he was ok or someone calling me to ID a body. I was almost too terrified to answer. I answered, and it was him telling me he was ok, and it was the robber that was shot and killed. I think that may be the only time in my life I actually dropped to my knees.
The cashier was some kind of martial arts guy, the robber got sloppy with his gun handling, so given the opportunity, the cashier grabbed his gun and shot him. My SO said he turned around and there was a gun in his face telling him to give him the wallet. A family was in there in the back, and the father started demanding to know what was going on, like he was going to do something about it, and my SO, not being able to think of anything short of knocking this clown out, grabbed his toddler and ran to a set of back stairs that was once used to transport liquor fro one building to the other. Thankfully he shut up and ran after the kid. He could have gotten them all killed.
His fellow miscreant called the cops and said his buddy just got shot at the pet store. No charges were filed.
Oh good LORD! I would have been on my knees too! Your man and the cashier both deserve a reward...and you both deserve a vacation after that!

I've never had anything like that happen, thank God, but I guess my scariest moment recently was when I was driving from work to meet hubby and team for bowling night last fall. I drive a back road to get the the bowling alley and it was a VERY windy day. I came around a turn and saw weird movement in a very old tree by the side of the road. The wind actually pulled a full tree limb off (not a branch...but a limb that stretched across the road) from the tree and it was falling. It happened in slow motion....I actually sped up because I knew I had to get past the tree before it fell. I also swerved to the other side of the road to miss the main limb...and almost hit a car coming the other way in the process. They slammed on their breaks, the limb hit my trunk and I swerved back just in time to miss him. The limb ended up stretching across the entire road blocking it. I was shaking! I called DH and told him what happened....

When I got to the bowling alley, he met me in the parking lot. No damage to my car...the only thing left was one little twig that got stuck under the spoiler thing on my car. He picked it up and said..."this was the huge limb???" Of course, the next day, the limb was cut up and stacked for firewood and by the next week it was gone so he still laughs about it.
But, I was shaking! I'm just glad I was paying attention or else I could have been seriously hurt because it was BIG!

Still, nothing like your story!

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

OMG I would have been so sacred I'm glad your SO is ok. The only thing like that, that has ever happened to me was when my unit deployed my DH was on the advance party going into Iraq and I was still in Kuwait. I heard second hand that a mortar round had hit about 20-30ft from where my DH worked and that they didn't know if there were any injuries or casualties because you can't talk about that stuff over unsecure nets. Communtication between me and my DH was very limited cause there aren't alot of computers for personal use and we could only email each other. It was about 4 hours before I heard from him and found out he had been in his room when the mortar hit. I was so worried though the whole time.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
holy cow!!I'm glad everyone was alright!!!

The scariest, most heart stopping thing that ever happened to me was one evening I was watching tv with my mum and my dad was downstairs watching tv and eating and all of a sudden I thought I heard a sound so I told my mum to mute the tv...I still didn't hear anything afterwards so I went downstairs to check on my dad and he was slumped over with his food coming out of his mouth and wasn't breathing . I tried to get him up so I could start CPR but he was way to heavy so I screamed and called 911 while my mum slapped my dad's face trying to wake him up. He started to breath and was able to get himself up and walk over to the sink so he could wipe his mouth but he was complaining about a bad pain in his side.

ANd ofcourse him being a guy decided he had pulled something and cancelled the ambulance only to 6 hours later actually end up going to the hospital

On the way to the hospital he died twice and was brought back to life and finally we found out that he had an aneurysm on his aorta which ruptured destroying the aorta all together so he was bleeding into his body for hours and we were told it was a miracle that he didn't die

this happend in november and he finally came out of the hospital dec.24th
that was the best christmas present someone could ever get

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my boys where younger we had been at the beach all day. When we got home I quickly jumped into the shower first..Then went to get the boys showered off and could not find my youngest son he was 3 at the time. Hubby was unpacking the car while I showered we do live on a private dirt road. Hubby said he had heard a car go by slowly!!! We hollered and hunted and ran frantically around the yard and hunted inside the house .. After a few minutes we both had the thought OMGosh that car that hubby heard go by had stopped and stole him!!!!
One more quick search of the house and yard we called 911.. The police arrived and started searching with us...By then I was a basket case. Then one of the police hollered for me to come into my bedroom.He was down at the bottom of my bed with a big smile on his face. He pointed down and I saw one little foot barely peaking out from under my bed.. The little devil had crawled under my bed and fallen sound asleep.... Happy ending