House call vet good idea?

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I decided this year to have my two cats' checkups done by a vet who makes house calls, as getting them there is a trauma for all of us. But it occurred to me, will this make them feel unsafe at home (since they'll be getting their shots)?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it would... they'd probably still dislike the vet, though.

Shots only hurt for a few seconds, whereas the stress of going to the vet lasts longer and is more likely to be remembered. I'm sure they'd get over the shots quickly - or as soon as the vet leaves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welp, the housecall vet turned out be a pretty bad idea.

Cat #1 was pretty much fine about his shots and exam. But cat #2 was very distressed, hissing and growling. Which apparently made Cat #1, whose usual temperament is angelic, decide he needed to come to Cat #2's aid and defend him against the vet. It all became very Hannibal Lecter-ish.

The upshot is I'm on antibiotics for some scratched fingers that started swelling. Has anyone had the antibiotic experience? I'm worried about what they say about it killing off the good bacteria in your digestive tract.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brokenheart

The upshot is I'm on antibiotics for some scratched fingers that started swelling. Has anyone had the antibiotic experience? I'm worried about what they say about it killing off the good bacteria in your digestive tract.
you can take probiotics to counteract that.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

you can take probiotics to counteract that.
AFTER the course of antibiotics is done ... during is a common mis nomer as antibiotics DO NOT know good from bad and will kill the good with the bad

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

AFTER the course of antibiotics is done ... during is a common mis nomer as antibiotics DO NOT know good from bad and will kill the good with the bad
Thank you for that Sharky! I didn't know that.

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brokenheart

Welp, the housecall vet turned out be a pretty bad idea.

Cat #1 was pretty much fine about his shots and exam. But cat #2 was very distressed, hissing and growling. Which apparently made Cat #1, whose usual temperament is angelic, decide he needed to come to Cat #2's aid and defend him against the vet. It all became very Hannibal Lecter-ish.

Sorry about that...

Just out of curiosity, how expensive was the house-call vet? Simba, my cat who lives with my folks, is difficult to deal with when it comes to taking him to the vet - he doesn't like to be touched, so corralling him is an issue. So if he ever got sick, a house-call vet might be a good option - if it isn't incredibly expensive...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by purrrplej

Sorry about that...

Just out of curiosity, how expensive was the house-call vet? Simba, my cat who lives with my folks, is difficult to deal with when it comes to taking him to the vet - he doesn't like to be touched, so corralling him is an issue. So if he ever got sick, a house-call vet might be a good option - if it isn't incredibly expensive...
I guess it was about $60 more. Which seemed worth it at the time, as I'm on the top floor of a walkup and putting the cats in carriers and hauling the cats up and down is traumatizing for all of us....

Also, there would have been no extra charge for the second cat since the vet was already there, so for the second cat it would have been on a par with the regular vet.